Best Ever Film Acting Performances (List)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 20:18
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Of course. Wikipedia tells me that only 8 foreign-language films were ever nominated. I excluded Letters From Iwo Jima because it was an American production and Babel because I believe the biggest company that produced it is American and, of course, it has a fair amount of English in it.

That's outright ridiculous. Nearly all of the American awards are just ways to glorify Hollywood. I mean, I still keep up with them and it's a big deal to me when a film or someone I love wins, but I don't know why...

Maybe that's a new game we could start up at some point. Has the BEMAs acronym (best ever movie awards) been used before? I know BEAMA has. Think about it. We start with any random year, 1969 for example. We start off with an elaborate nomination process, which brings us to 5 nominees for each category (maybe 10 for Best Picture) that we all have to choose from. Probably wouldn't do every category; mainly just producing, directing, writing and acting. Maybe cinematography and editing. Hell I'm down to go deeper if y'all are. Sounds fun, and easier than compiling lists. I'm just not sure there's enough activity to prevent numerous low-number ties (in which case we could always have run-off votes).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2018 20:31
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Of course. Wikipedia tells me that only 8 foreign-language films were ever nominated. I excluded Letters From Iwo Jima because it was an American production and Babel because I believe the biggest company that produced it is American and, of course, it has a fair amount of English in it.

2006 wasn't Hollywood's brightest year, was it? Honestly, the Best Picture noms could've even gone like this:

Pan's Labyrinth
Children Of Men
Babel
Letters From Iwo Jima
Volver

Which would've been insane.

Anyway, it'll be 9 by the end of the year Cool
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 00:13
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Maybe that's a new game we could start up at some point. Has the BEMAs acronym (best ever movie awards) been used before? I know BEAMA has. Think about it. We start with any random year, 1969 for example. We start off with an elaborate nomination process, which brings us to 5 nominees for each category (maybe 10 for Best Picture) that we all have to choose from. Probably wouldn't do every category; mainly just producing, directing, writing and acting. Maybe cinematography and editing. Hell I'm down to go deeper if y'all are. Sounds fun, and easier than compiling lists. I'm just not sure there's enough activity to prevent numerous low-number ties (in which case we could always have run-off votes).

It's an excellent idea. Probably the categories other than picture, the acting categories, director and screenplay should be optional, to encourage participation (I myself don't care about producer if they didn't have significant creative input. Also, don't think producers always played a big role in classic foreign films).

How elaborate a nomination process you have in mind? Perhaps not too elaborate for participation reasons? Also there are at least 80 years to cover!

A DVD forum I'm a member of did alternate Oscars threads. It wasn't an actual poll; the only reason I bring it up is that just the nominated films were eligible -- it was only the winner that was often alternate -- and that didn't interest me that much. I like this idea much better. The Best Picture category would be like doing short yearly charts and polls for movies, and since I couldn't come up with much more than 10 for many years anyway, this would be the best way for me (and presumably some others) to make yearly "lists."
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 00:34
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
2006 wasn't Hollywood's brightest year, was it? Honestly, the Best Picture noms could've even gone like this:

Pan's Labyrinth
Children Of Men
Babel
Letters From Iwo Jima
Volver

Which would've been insane.

Anyway, it'll be 9 by the end of the year Cool

Swap Babel out for The Lives of Others but yeah.

PurpleHazel wrote:
It's an excellent idea. Probably the categories other than picture, the acting categories, director and screenplay should be optional, to encourage participation (I myself don't care about producer if they didn't have significant creative input. Also, don't think producers always played a big role in classic foreign films).

How elaborate a nomination process you have in mind? Perhaps not too elaborate for participation reasons? Also there are at least 80 years to cover!

A DVD forum I'm a member of did alternate Oscars threads. It wasn't an actual poll; the only reason I bring it up is that just the nominated films were eligible -- it was only the winner that was often alternate -- and that didn't interest me that much. I like this idea much better. The Best Picture category would be like doing short yearly charts and polls for movies, and since I couldn't come up with much more than 10 for many years anyway, this would be the best way for me (and presumably some others) to make yearly "lists."

Producer = Best Picture. d'oh!

Nomination process isn't really elaborate at all, basically everyone picks nominees, whoever is the most nominated nominee, gets nominated. Lol.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 00:38
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Producer = Best Picture. d'oh!
Smile

Quote:
Nomination process isn't really elaborate at all, basically everyone picks nominees, whoever is the most nominated nominee, gets nominated. Lol.
Smile
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 01:13
  • Post subject:
^^^
I like this new game idea, but we sort of do it every year in March for the previous year's films. I know it's a little different, but it's close. But maybe that could be a new format to try next year?

As for playing this game for older years like 1969, it sounds fun I don't know how much user participation we would get since this is a music site. Isn't there similar site to BEA, but for movies? I think the idea would get more participants there.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 06:15
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I like this new game idea, but we sort of do it every year in March for the previous year's films. I know it's a little different, but it's close.

It'd be all different years, at least 1939-2010. Agree that we shouldn't do any year that already had a Best Of [Year] poll, at least ones that members still active in film polls have participated in.

Quote:
I don't know how much user participation we would get since this is a music site. Isn't there similar site to BEA, but for movies? I think the idea would get more participants there.

I've been active in CriterionForum and the Blu-ray.com forums. CriterionForum's out. The mods and the most active members decide which polls (they call them lists) the forum holds and it's all scheduled in advance. Bluray.com has had some informal poll-type threads, but nothing as formal as BEA's. Theoretically we could probably post a poll there, but I think we'd have to start with something less ambitious, like a genre list. IMDb shut down their forums in 2017 -- a controversial move (I never posted there). Letterboxd doesn't have a forum.

I stumbled across this list, but it's a little too overwhelming for me to dig into right away:

https://filmboards.com/board/p/8664/

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 12/04/2018 02:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 17:50
  • Post subject:
Of course it could be done elsewhere, but nowhere else is BEA!

For real though this is the only forum I participate in. Part of a couple movie-related Facebook groups but that's about it. And personally I'm not a fan of entering someone else's terrain and trying to run things. Imagine if some noob with a basic top 40 signs up and decides to immediately host a "best of the year" game in our forums. I don't think everyone would be happy about it.

But yeah, seems there are a lot of regular users who either aren't posting at all anymore (I wouldn't know as I'm not active enough) or have lost interest in our movie stuff, because things have died down considerably for the last couple polls and there are lots of respected names who used to participate that have been absent from them. It's definitely something I'd like to see more than 6 or 8 people take part in. Maybe if I sent out a mass PM of a copy of the first post some ghosts could pop back up with some nominations.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 19:22
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how much user participation we would get since this is a music site. Isn't there similar site to BEA, but for movies? I think the idea would get more participants there.

I've been active in CriterionForum and the Blu-ray.com forums. CriterionForum's out. The mods and the most active members decide which polls (they call them lists) the forum holds and it's all scheduled in advance. Bluray.com has had some informal poll-type threads, but nothing as formal as BEA's. Theoretically we could probably post a poll there, but I think we'd have to start with something less ambitious, like a genre list. IMDb shut down their forums in 2017 -- a controversial move (I never posted there). Letterboxd doesn't have a forum.

I stumbled across this list, but it's a little too overwhelming for me to dig into right away:

https://filmboards.com/board/p/8664/

Yeah I've never found a site quite like BEA, but for movies. If I had, I would've joined it. I wish Letterboxd had a forum feature, but that'll probably never happen because it's more like a social media platform.

badseed wrote:

For real though this is the only forum I participate in. Part of a couple movie-related Facebook groups but that's about it. And personally I'm not a fan of entering someone else's terrain and trying to run things. Imagine if some noob with a basic top 40 signs up and decides to immediately host a "best of the year" game in our forums. I don't think everyone would be happy about it.

But yeah, seems there are a lot of regular users who either aren't posting at all anymore (I wouldn't know as I'm not active enough) or have lost interest in our movie stuff, because things have died down considerably for the last couple polls and there are lots of respected names who used to participate that have been absent from them. It's definitely something I'd like to see more than 6 or 8 people take part in. Maybe if I sent out a mass PM of a copy of the first post some ghosts could pop back up with some nominations.

Yeah a lot of users who regularly participated in these have gone missing. Haven't seen a post from hereforashortime (living up to his name I guess, haha) in a while. Same with Gowi, AwaitingAndrew, and Mercury. Nutso left BEA. So to be honest, if some new BEA member wanted to host a movie poll here, I wouldn't mind. It'd be nice to see someone new take an interest.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2018 22:54
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Agree! I wasn't endorsing the idea of going elsewhere, just answering StreetSpirit's question about movie forums. If we moved it to a movie forum, than it wouldn't be a BEA poll any more, it would be that forum's poll, and the few of us who went over there would be noob interlopers.

Quote:
And personally I'm not a fan of entering someone else's terrain and trying to run things. Imagine if some noob with a basic top 40 signs up and decides to immediately host a "best of the year" game in our forums. I don't think everyone would be happy about it.

Yeah, this what I was getting at with Blu-ray.com, but you expressed it much more vividly.

Quote:
Maybe if I sent out a mass PM of a copy of the first post some ghosts could pop back up with some nominations.

StreetSpirit wrote:
Yeah a lot of users who regularly participated in these have gone missing. Haven't seen a post from hereforashortime (living up to his name I guess, haha) in a while. Same with Gowi, AwaitingAndrew, and Mercury. Nutso left BEA.

I pmed Mercury and Gowi about the film noir poll. Mercury replied with a nice message saying he'd take a look and see if he could come up with a list satisfactory to him. Didn't hear back from Gowi. Though he popped in briefly during that 2017 album tournament after someone gave him a head's up about it, I get the sense he's now really moved on.

StreetSpirit wrote:
I wish Letterboxd had a forum feature, but that'll probably never happen because it's more like a social media platform.

Someone tried to organize a Letterboxd forum on an outside platform, but it sounds like it never quite got off the ground.
  • Visit poster's website