Get To Know A Top 10: December 2018 Thread - SquishypuffDave

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
The Runners Four by Deerhoof
0%
 0%  [0]
In Rainbows by Radiohead
29%
 29%  [7]
The Way Out by The Books
4%
 4%  [1]
Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush
4%
 4%  [1]
Of Natural History by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
4%
 4%  [1]
Selected Ambient Works Volume II by Aphex Twin
8%
 8%  [2]
Music For 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
8%
 8%  [2]
Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow
12%
 12%  [3]
Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
20%
 20%  [5]
Donuts by J Dilla
8%
 8%  [2]
Total Votes : 24

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2018 17:14
  • Post subject: Get To Know A Top 10: December 2018 Thread - SquishypuffDave
With 33% of the vote, SquishypuffDave has won the sixth poll. Here are the ten albums up for discussion during the month of December:

1. The Runners Four - Deerhoof
2. In Rainbows - Radiohead
3. The Way Out - The Books
5. Hounds Of Love - Kate Bush
6. Of Natural History - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
7. Selected Ambient Works Volume II - Aphex Twin
8. Music For 18 Musicians - Steve Reich
9. Endtroducing... - DJ Shadow
10. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk
11. Donuts - J Dilla

[Note: SquishypuffDave's #4, Geogaddi, has already been discussed in a Get To Know A Top 10 (April), so per the rules it has been omitted and replaced with the #11 pick.]

As always, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. And where possible, interact with what other people have been saying for a more interesting discussion.

If you do get a chance to listen to all ten, you can then vote for your favorite in the attached poll, a new feature this month. (It's a bonus poll, not the main point of the thread, so no need to move this to the games forum mods.)

Last but not least, here are the past threads if you want to go back and listen to / talk about stuff you missed.

April thread (Luigii): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20004
May thread (Tilly): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20126
June thread (Jimmy Dread): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20249
July thread (Hayden): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20364
August thread (RockyRaccoon): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20454

Last edited by baystateoftheart on 06/01/2019 00:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 03:31
  • Post subject:
Wow, we already have a vote for In Rainbows? Whoever you are, would be cool to hear why you voted for it and what you thought of the other albums!

~~~~~

There's diversity to this top ten, but it also feels like there is a common thread running through the albums. It will take some more reflection to articulate what that is.

As far as release date, we've got one from 2010, four from the aughts (plus Geogaddi), three from the 90s, and one each from the 80s and 70s. Am I correct in guessing that the prominence of the 90s and aughts reflects musical formative years?

And for genres we have the following, courtesy of RYM:

Experimental Rock
Art Rock, Alternative Rock
Electronic
Art Pop, Progressive Pop
Avant-Garde Metal, Avant-Prog, Experimental Rock
Ambient, Electronic
Minimalism
Instrumental Hip Hop, Experimental Hip Hop, Plunderphonics
Post-Rock
Instrumental Hip Hop
(and IDM for Geogaddi)

~~~~~

Deerhoof, The Books, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are all totally new to me, so I'm excited to check those out and revisit a lot of the other ones. Donuts and Music For 18 Musicians are securely among my favorite albums as well, and I like the other five I've heard.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2018 03:46
  • Post subject:
Such a vibe.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 03:51
  • Post subject:
Well, I've already heard all of these. I was recommended the most obscure one on here (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum) at another time.

My favorite out of these currently would probably be Laughing Stock.

Instead of making more posts, I'll just edit this one.

Radiohead- In Rainbows: Over the years, and after many listens of all their albums, In Rainbows ranks about second or third in my Radiohead list. It's probably their most impeccably produced and most relaxed album. It's not as anxioius and apocalyptic as Kid A, OK Compiuter, and Hail to the Thief, which is a plus.

Kate Bush- Hounds of Love: Kate Bush is good, but I'd never tell anyone that she's a favorite. I don't have the same reactions to it as other people.

DJ Shadow- Endtroducing... Probably one of the first big instrumental hip hop albums that I ever got into. It's an essential listen for anyone interested in the genre, and it still holds up today.

J Dilla- Donuts: See the above review for Endtroducing... Smile

Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works II: It's good, but I still like I better. "Ptolemy" is just too damn good.

Steve Reich- As one of the premier minimalist composers, of course I like Reich. I would pick "Different Trains" as my favorite musically and conceptuallythough.

Talk Talk- Laughing Stock: Mark Hollis' "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock" will only continue to get better with age. If he ever made another album, I, and many other people, would be very happy.

I'm going to listen to the others again. I'm familiar enough with the above, that I don't feel like relistening to them again at this time.

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 12/02/2018 07:38; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 03:58
  • Post subject:
Honestly, I wished I finished any of these lists with the albums they had. Especially since this list is a pretty interesting one. Even though I haven't finish all, my favorite would be either In Rainbows or Geogaddi. The former being the first ever Radiohead album I listen to and was impressed with its variety. While the latter is in my top 10 since April's list. But that list will change dramatically once I hit 1000 albums. That will be an adventure on my diary.

While S.A.W II, even when I haven't listen to it a while, I felt somewhat meh by it due to the length and it's compositions feeling somewhat dated. Though Rhubarb and Lichen are eternal.

And Entroducing while being quite revolutionary feels like it might sour in my favor. Though, I do need to listen to it again. As well as Midnight In A Perfect World and Changeling are dope.

Also Hounds Of Love will be my third choice for personal favorite from this picking.

Last edited by Luigii on 12/02/2018 04:16; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 04:04
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Honestly, I wished I finished any of these lists with the albums they had. Especially since this list is a pretty interesting one.

We're just one day into this month-long thread, so you still have thirty days to hear the ones you haven't heard! Smile

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on all of them. I'll be posting mine here later on in December.
dholl

• Posted: 12/02/2018 12:34
  • Post subject:
Strong top 10 that, effectively two of them are in my own top 10 with Reich's wondrous piece my number 5 and Kid A in at 7 (my top 40 has a self-imposed one-entry-per-artist rule and I often change my mind which of Kid A, Amnesiac or In Rainbows is my favourite from them).

The Kate Bush, Aphex & Talk Talk albums are also seriously good. Endtroducing isn't my kind of thing but respect its impact. Dilla's donuts is of similar ilk. Will check out the leftover three at some point, but it's safe to say no new album will break into the top 5 so soon (one needs a few years to really recognise an album's worth)...so I already voted.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/02/2018 13:15
  • Post subject:
This flattery is much appreciated, thanks for the votes.

baystateoftheart wrote:
Am I correct in guessing that the prominence of the 90s and aughts reflects musical formative years?

I discovered most of these post-2010. I think I was familiar with Radiohead and Aphex Twin a little before that. But yeah, I was pretty late to the game when it comes to musical formative years.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Steve Reich- As one of the premier minimalist composers, of course I like Reich. I would pick "Different Trains" as my favorite musically and conceptually though.

Different Trains was definitely here instead of Music For 18 Musicians at one point, it's definitely a close call.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/02/2018 17:25
  • Post subject:
Think it was me that cast the first vote in favour of In Rainbows; it's in my top 20 and is just sublimely delivered, sorry to be cliche'.

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk I really want to like and I do think it's good, just a little too sparse for me.

Aphex Twin's offer is my favourite of all of his, some of his harder electronic stuff I'm not that big a fan of, although those who do I'd recommend Syro.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 17:33
  • Post subject:
What a fun list... I'm really glad I decided to hop in and give this one a go!

Going in, I'd only heard four and was only really familiar with two.

Coming out, there was only one I couldn't stomach.

It was great to reacquaint myself with one of the ones I already knew and the rest were a joy to be exposed to for the first time.

In the end, I really had a hard time settling between the Reich (one with which I was already familiar) and the Aphex Twin (one that was completely new to me). Ultimately, I had to abstain as I'd need more time to be able to give fair consideration between them, and maybe a couple of the other new-to-me ones as well, especially the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum which also caught my fancy.

In any case, thanks to both BEA and SquishypuffDave for the great list!
  • Visit poster's website