With the Beatles/Meet the Beatles

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 12/02/2018 18:34
  • Post subject: With the Beatles/Meet the Beatles
Hi,

I think that US and UK versions should be considered as One album. With the Beatles is ranked lower than Beatles for Sale because of the separation. Some people tend to choose one of them so the points get distributed between two realeses which they are actually one album.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/02/2018 18:53
  • Post subject:
God forbid a Beatles album doesn't receive enough acclaim.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/03/2018 02:10
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
God forbid a Beatles album doesn't receive enough acclaim.

Objectively speaking
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/03/2018 09:48
  • Post subject:
These albums are listed separately in The Beatles discography (on their official website) and also on Discogs so I think it's right to treat them as separate releases here as well (https://www.thebeatles.com/explore?type=story_album). If I'm missing something, happy to listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 12/04/2018 05:48
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
These albums are listed separately in The Beatles discography (on their official website) and also on Discogs so I think it's right to treat them as separate releases here as well (https://www.thebeatles.com/explore?type=story_album). If I'm missing something, happy to listen.

I understand, but that badly affects their rank points, Some people list one version and some others list the other version though they are the same realese but only for two different countries. I think both should considered as With the Beatles only as per Wikipedia. The same goes for other classic British albums like some of Rolling stones'.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/04/2018 08:40
  • Post subject:
The issue is whether they are two distinct albums or not (tbh rank points are not taken into account). Beatles '65 is mentioned with Beatles for Sale but I can't find the same for With the Beatles so I'm having trouble bringing these albums together because I can't find a lot of evidence to support this.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 00:40
  • Post subject:
We have a user who has jumped the gun on this and started flagging Beatles albums for deletion. Perhaps it would be wise to wait until AM has made a definitive post on this before flagging?

Edit: Not just Beatles albums...also The Clash.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 01:30
  • Post subject:
I've brought up this issue before. If an album has a US and UK version, then I believe they should be counted as one album but have both track listings on the album's page. However, I don't know if that is the case with Meet the Beatles and With the Beatles. Some more research would have to be done. But trying to delete albums from the site's database isn't the solution.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/05/2018 08:54
  • Post subject:
Just to clarify, there's no change in policy. BEA only lists the original release of an album (regardless of origin) and uses the original track list and artwork. In the case of With The Beatles and Meet The Beatles these appear to be distinct releases so are listed separately. In the case of The Clash and other albums with multi-geographical releases of the same album (& not always US or UK), only the original version is listed.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 20:05
  • Post subject:
Looking over both tracklists, Meet the Beatles is the superior album because it starts off with two of their best early songs that aren't on With the Beatles. WtB is drek, easily their worst album and has too many points anyway. And maybe other users agree with my opinion that MtB is better. If MtB was deleted from BEA's database, thus all the charts it appears on, that doesn't mean users would replace it with WtB.

However, I can see the argument that they are the same album. They have very similar tracklists and the same cover art, like many albums that have a UK and a North American version.

albummaster wrote:
The issue is whether they are two distinct albums or not (tbh rank points are not taken into account). Beatles '65 is mentioned with Beatles for Sale but I can't find the same for With the Beatles so I'm having trouble bringing these albums together because I can't find a lot of evidence to support this.

Actually AM, the site you linked says this:

Quote:
Like Please Please Me it didn't receive a US release until 1987 but the cover shot was used on their debut album for Capitol Records "Meet The Beatles" - which also included nine of the tracks from the British release plus three other songs including their first US hit - "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

Source: https://www.thebeatles.com/album/beatles

So this suggests maybe they are the same album, or close enough anyway, and that should be taken into account. However, again I don't think deleting albums from BEA's database is the solution.

Once again, my solution is to simply list both tracklists on an album's page where there are two different versions. Not just Beatles albums, but everything.

Romanelli brought up The Clash. I never noticed this before but my CD version of The Clash self-titled is different from the one on this site. I own the US version, which was released in 1979. However, the UK version was released in 1977. BEA lists the album with its 1977 UK track listing...but has its release date as 1979 Laughing . Well that's certainly incorrect. To fix that issue, we can do one of three things. 1. Change the date of that album from 1979 to 1977. 2. Change the tracklisting to the US version. Or 3. Make everyone happy with my idea and just list both track listings on the album's page. RYM and Wikipedia do that. Why can't we?
  • Visit poster's website