Collaborative Diary: 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 18:03
  • Post subject: Collaborative Diary: 2010
Posting this here so we can have all the discussion in one place. Does this sound like a satisfactory structure? Following Tilly's ideas, but I just split it into steps.

Step 1: We build our 2010 charts, discussing what we're listening to here as desired. I would appreciate a good amount of time for this, because I have never made a 2010 chart before.

Step 2: Once everyone is ready, we come up with our must-listen lists and post them, featuring our actual favorite five records, not just five we think are obscure or underrated.

Step 3: We all check out each other's must-listen lists and then determine a group chart.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 18:06
  • Post subject:
Bringing this post here so we can have the whole discussion in the same place:

Komorebi-D wrote:
So I’ve compiled a brief list off some albums that I feel like I should approach again and one or two I haven’t heard because you guys got me thinking:

There Is Love In You by Four Tet

Swim by Caribou

I'm New Here by Gil Scott-Heron

Gemini by Wild Nothing

First Four EPs by OFF!

Crystal Castles (2010) by Crystal Castles

EDIT: The OFF! & Gil Scott-Heron releases are the two I haven’t heard, fully in the case of Gil. But the rest of what I’ve shortlisted are all fantastic albums I haven’t devoted enough time as I’d like to, even though I know they won’t make my own 20.

Those are well worth checking out / revisiting, K-D. I love the first four, I like the Crystal Castles album, and haven't heard the OFF! record.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 19:43
  • Post subject: Re: Collaborative Diary: 2010
baystateoftheart wrote:
Posting this here so we can have all the discussion in one place. Does this sound like a satisfactory structure? Following Tilly's ideas, but I just split it into steps.

Step 1: We build our 2010 charts, discussing what we're listening to here as desired. I would appreciate a good amount of time for this, because I have never made a 2010 chart before.

Step 2: Once everyone is ready, we come up with our must-listen lists and post them, featuring our actual favorite five records, not just five we think are obscure or underrated.

Step 3: We all check out each other's must-listen lists and then determine a group chart.

Sounds good! I'll post albums to share every so bit that I feel are pretty killer including a short write-up of why they rule. I'll also try really hard to listen to other's picks and give my thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
Rock Is NOT Dead: The Garage Rock Revival of the 2010s

One of the biggest trends of the 2010s was the triumphant return of primal garage rock. Arguably the biggest bands of that movement were Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees, both of whom released steller albums in 2010 with ...

Melted by Ty Segall

and

Warm Slime by Thee Oh Sees

Anyone have an opinion on these two? Is one clearly superior? I'm going to try to figure out which one I like better over the next day or so.

edit: Here's a cool article about the scene they helped create ...

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/...rage-rock/
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
I look forward to this thread in particular since 2010 is a pretty weak year for me. My 2010 list runs 80 deep, but there's really only a few that I think a positively rave worthy and worth throwing at the community. So hopefully, this thread will introduce me to some goodies I've missed to date.

That said, I'll kick off with my #1 of the year and one that I can recommend without reservation, although it may not appeal to a wide audience.

John Scofield with Vince Mendoza and the Metropole Orkest - 54

Now this certainly isn't the first piece of jazz/classical fusion ever recorded, but it is a most excellent example of that combo. Mendoza's arrangements fuse perfectly with Scofield's compositions, and the large ensemble provides stellar support, as well as various members joining the headlining Scofield as soloists. Despite the large (by jazz standards) ensemble, all the pieces feel light and airy even as they exhibit the fullness of the ensemble and the expanded sonic palette it provides. This is a wonderful listen that I happily come back to time and time again.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2018 22:54
  • Post subject:
Dad Rockers Rejoice!

Mojo by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Um. I wasn't expecting to like this. At all. I was just checking a box. Doing my due diligence. But, this stands with Petty's 80s albums and even 70s stuff without problem. It's a got a 70s jaminess to it that is actually really good. Bringing to mind such bands as diverse as the Grateful Dead, Yes and even The Wailers.

A very pleasant surprise. The playing is immaculate. It's warmly produced. I expected this to be an embarrassment but if you love 70s guitars and/or blues guitar then this album is a real treat.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2018 01:12
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Bringing this post here so we can have the whole discussion in the same place:

Komorebi-D wrote:
So I’ve compiled a brief list off some albums that I feel like I should approach again and one or two I haven’t heard because you guys got me thinking:

Gemini by Wild Nothing

Those are well worth checking out / revisiting, K-D. I love the first four, I like the Crystal Castles album, and haven't heard the OFF! record.

Unbelievable album. Just perfect. This will be in my personal top 10 for sure. Hits all my sweets pots & flavor centers. It's romantic, hazy, lo-fi, dreamy & druggy. And the songwriting is catchy & personal. Like it's your best friend or secret crush whispering in your ear the plan for after school on a Friday night. Just positively awesome!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2018 01:42
  • Post subject:
2010 is a weird one for me because I was very busy and not keeping up with music, and so the majority of my favorites is stuff I heard in the years after. Still finding my favorites, really, like just today I heard this one from Ricercar Consort, the title translates to "Defense of the viola bass against the violin companies and the pretensions of the cello" and it is a sort of musical adaptation of this thing a strange man named Hubert Le Blanc wrote in 1740 about how the violin and cello were bad and how the viol is way better. So it's about 4 hours of the music talked about in there, and it's really something.

But yeah I've got more to check out for this year so this should be cool.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2018 02:22
  • Post subject:
Well 2010 has this one.

Have One On Me by Joanna Newsom
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2018 21:33
  • Post subject:
OK, after reviewing a couple of dozen albums from the year, I have come up with a top 5 for 2010 that I am happy with. Whether or not anybody else will be happy with it; well, I don't know. It's going to be a brutal listening experience.

Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter

This is definitely my number one, and one of the most relistenable albums in the past decade. Solid tracks throughout and good variety. This one will be easy to digest.

Patagonian Rats by Tera Melos

This is a math rock record that is as catchy as it is technical. "Trident Tail" may be the Stairway to Heaven of math rock songs. And that's coming from somebody who loves Don Caballero. The album cover really says it all; I'm happy when I listen to this.

Love Is A Stream by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

This is on my overall chart. It's some of the prettiest noise you will ever hear. Fans of MBV will probably enjoy this.

Unsilent Death by Nails

Nails delivers a calculated 13 minute beatdown. Every song is another body blow. At least it's over quick.

Tsumanne by Shinsei Kamattechan

The 5th spot was my hardest to pin down. I thought about going with Women, Emeralds, Roc Marciano, or ZS, but I have settled on this chaotic Japanese, um, Noise Rock? Dream Pop? album. It is quite the trip.

All of these can be found on youtube or streaming.
  • Visit poster's website