What are the worst Oscar winning movies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/01/2019 16:36
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Ithe Kings Speech

Probably because it was a little less forward-thinking or relevant than the The Social Network and Inception. Hooper definitely shouldn't have won Director (Fincher was robbed), but I'm quite fond of The King's Speech. I think it's a pretty good film, especially within the 'royal family' realm. I don't find it nearly as stuffy as other people have. Best Picture hit it more as a curse than praise... (kinda like Green Book). Also helps that it came out just around the time I was getting into cinema and it made me realize the artistry of cinematography... beforehand, I had never really thought about it. Those sort of revelation moments always stick.

Give it a watch. Performances are fantastic across the board.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/01/2019 16:44
  • Post subject:
I would say 2010 was a pretty solid year for Best Picture nominees. I didn't even realize The Kids are All Right was on there.

I've also never seen The Artist, which much like The Kings Speech seems to be completely forgotten less than 10 years later. I wouldn't say the film was a particularly strong year. Most of the films nominated had aging A-list directors War Horse (Spielberg), Hugo (Scorsese), Tree of Life (Malick), Midnight in Paris (Allen) and The Descendants (Alexander Payne is a bit younger, but no stranger to Oscar attention at that point either).

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 03/01/2019 17:07
  • Post subject:
I don't think The King's Speech was a bad film it just had better competitors; I agree with Villain that it was a great year. I would rather have Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right or Winter's Bone over it

And I have to admit that I never liked The Social Network. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty solid film from its directing to acting to atmosphere but there's something irritating about that film that makes you don't care and almost every character in it is annoying as hell
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2019 18:45
  • Post subject:
I really liked King's Speech. Yeah, Nolan or Fincher probably should have won director, but I think it was the most entertaining film out of all the nominees except maybe Toy Story 3 (would have been fine with that winning too).
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 03/01/2019 22:30
  • Post subject:
My Top 10:

1. Crash
2. Crash
3. Crash
4. Crash
5. Crash
6. Crash
7. Crash
8. Crash
9. Crash
10: Crash

Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2019 23:41
  • Post subject:
The funny thing about Crash is it's a perfectly fine "average" movie. I don't think anyone would dislike it had it not won, but I think less people would have watched it to. I've got a weak spot for ensemble films but this might be the only year in history where the winner was the worst of the five nominees by a good margin. That fifth spot should have went to A History of Violence or Cinderella Man, maybe even The Constant Gardener or Batman Begins. Brokeback Mountain should have won, I think that's relatively undisputed, but Good Night and Good Luck would been a pleasant surprise.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 03/02/2019 03:46
  • Post subject:
Oliver! and Shakespeare in love
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2019 09:01
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I've never watched Crash, but to claim it is mediocre whilst praising Glory in the same breath is the definition of irony.

There may be times in life where one can pass judgment on a work/s one hasn't experienced, but this isn't one of them. You really have to see Crash before judging something else against it. It's bad in a unique way -- while having many compelling individual scenes.

badseed wrote:
The funny thing about Crash is it's a perfectly fine "average" movie. I don't think anyone would dislike it had it not won, but I think less people would have watched it to.

I would've. I read about Crash before it was released and based on Million Dollar Baby and some of Paul Haggis' TV work, I was really pumped to see it when it came out -- I thought a mosaic film like Crash with that cast was going to be a high of Haggis' career (till I read my first review). Think the movie's anything but average -- there's some highs and a lot of lows -- guess you could argue it averages out to a little below average. But given the overall pretentiousness I'd argue that it ends up a lot below average on general principle.

Agree that if it hadn't won a lot less people would've seen it and it would've been remembered as just another deeply-flawed ensemble film.

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 03/02/2019 10:01; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2019 09:45
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Probably because it was a little less forward-thinking or relevant than the The Social Network and Inception. Hooper definitely shouldn't have won Director (Fincher was robbed), but I'm quite fond of The King's Speech. I think it's a pretty good film, especially within the 'royal family' realm. I don't find it nearly as stuffy as other people have. Best Picture hit it more as a curse than praise... (kinda like Green Book). Also helps that it came out just around the time I was getting into cinema and it made me realize the artistry of cinematography... beforehand, I had never really thought about it. Those sort of revelation moments always stick.

Give it a watch. Performances are fantastic across the board.

Shows how much context can influence opinion (I'm a lot older than you). While it's competently-made, it's the first film that I resented right away because it was such blatant Anglophile Oscar bait. And while it's not the first, it's the first of a steady stream of Anglophile Oscar bait movies (the "anglophile" part of that phrase I came up with) ever since then. I'd say something similar to what badseed said about Crash: it's a slightly-above average (problematic) movie. But it paved the way for The Theory of Everything (which I thought was quite bad other than the performances) and other mediocre to bad British Oscar bait movies. Geoffrey Rush's great as he always is, and Colin Firth's very, very good as he always is, but good perfs in mediocre films is a classic Oscar bait combination. Another big problem is the historical distortion. It depicts Edward VI's speech as an important stand against fascism, but before that, he was involved in the appeasement of the Nazis by supporting Neville Chamberlain after he handed over a chunk of Europe to Hitler.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2019 13:15
  • Post subject:
I'm no anglophile, especially in movies, but that bias doesn't keep me from recognizing a great one when it comes along, and the King's Speech is one. And while it didn't make a big deal about the hero's previous position of appeasement, that doesn't mean that speech wasn't a significant event. If anything, the conversion magnifies its meaning. But overall, there were so many other great themes running through that movie that there need not be additional focus on that aspect.

And there were less worthy Oscar bait anglophile movies that came earlier. I'll take this one over Shakespeare in Love or Chariots of Fire any day. Maybe Howard's End as well.
  • Visit poster's website