8%
 8%  [2]
20 minutes of heaven
0%
 0%  [0]
Just another Cis-Het white man reviewing 2018
8%
 8%  [2]
Do you think there will be more movies based on comic books next year?
4%
 4%  [1]
You think that's Improvised Music
4%
 4%  [1]
GODDDABBIT SKY WHERE IS MASOCHISM>>?!!!!
4%
 4%  [1]
Adpocalypse
4%
 4%  [1]
Best Track: the one with the trap snares
4%
 4%  [1]
Amazon Go Away
4%
 4%  [1]
BAWPs love 2018
4%
 4%  [1]
Rock those Low-Cut Jeans like it's 2005
0%
 0%  [0]
ChiefRockaNewsFeed
4%
 4%  [1]
I Was in the 212, and then Grimes and Elon came and pooe'd on you
4%
 4%  [1]
Are the Regrettes L... nvm
0%
 0%  [0]
Oh well, we can always just blame Benpaco
8%
 8%  [2]
Total Votes : 25

cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/28/2018 21:57
  • Post subject: 20&18 in review
Allright so it looks like were almost done with 2018 as it's highly unlikely anybody's... going... to.... drop an elevent-hour-release... now (GOD DAMMMITTTTTTTTT SKY), so I guess it's time for a bit of reflection. And given looking back on 2018 it's kind of hard to really give a lucid overview of what happened because it was a bit all over the place. I was rather numb on 2017, more so than any other year in the recent past, so I was ready to get into 2018 and from the get-go it looked really promising... but now at the finising line there still seems to be a bit of missed potential overall. There's something odd that the top album on BEA for 2018 (charts-wise) was a remade 2011 release.

Obviously Hip-Hop had a banner year, though perhaps that's why 2018 achievements superficially seem smaller than years past since it was the year of the 20-minute opus. Naturally there was some strong stuff going on in the worlds of more lo-fi basement recordings, improvised jazz, deconstructed-pop of the future (what dem youves are calling PC-music, I think?), sad folk-y supergroups, post-punk and as always a good host of electronica and dreamier pop outings and surprisingly a really teriffic year for good old-fashioned rock a/o roll, but I guess personally few albums that I really fell head over heels for and couldn't stop obsessing about. Even with a lot of the more well-know albums I liked I felt there was still a certain spark, or sth, missing that could make them great (Aviary, Be the Cowboy, Dirty Computer, You Won't Get What I Want Now or Ever or whatever the album title is) and others I feel may have been wildly over-praised by the scenesters looking for that wide-appeal zeitgest-hugging Big Album Masterpiece (*COUGH* here's looking you at 1975).

On the latter, while it wasn't as bad as say film in the different albums that were clearly trying to be a major State of Affairs address, but that could lead to a handful of overwrought clunkers or promising albums where the stilted sloganeering/polemical ambitions could overtake the music. Sometimes they just don't need to try so hard.

Anyways, I would see it as a good year plenty full of interesting releases but maybe thin on any enduring classics or blow-em-all-out-of-the-water head-turners. A good year for pop, guitar-boogie rock, classic introspective singer-songwriter affairs, progressive electronic, and a maybe great year for homespun hip hop, dreamy electronica and whatever genre Kacey Musgraves is now. BAGCs love the Kacey now, thanks P4k.

So yeah what is everybody else's thoughts? Strong all-around or more for niche genres? Any hidden masterpieces not enough people are discovering? Just want to vent about your biggest dissapointments or your hopes for 2019? Go nuts
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 22:48
  • Post subject:
I just feel honored to be a poll item.

To be honest, none of the albums on my list I'd rate higher than a B+. I think my biggest problem was burning myself out at the beginning of the year. I think I had 100 albums on my chart back in April, and I still have some that I have to sift through, but I don't feel like it right now. I'm deep into the 70s at the moment.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/28/2018 22:51
  • Post subject: Re: 20&18 in review
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
There's something odd that the top album on BEA for 2018 (charts-wise) was a remade 2011 release.

Def. I kinda feel like it won't stick, but that's what I thought about Lost In A Dream, so it might take awhile before I'm right. I can't see Beach House topping it either, so maybe Kids See Ghosts will eventually overtake. Once the 2018 charts are tallied with full points it could change quite a bit. I have a feeling Twin Fantasy's landed on more overall decade lists than most of the other albums in 2018 (in lieu of the 2011 release, etc...).

But yeah, what a weird year for music. I don't think there was a coherent theme/vibe/sound/atmosphere, anything. Albums were all over the place. Usually there's a genre or two that dominates, but most releases this year were such a fusions that I don't think any sound sticks out (maaaybe noise-pop/post-industrial/gritty stuff?... or pop). I think it's showing too, nobody seems to know what direction to head in. New-sounding genres are popping up all over the place, with nobody finding a name for most of them. So, that's exciting I suppose.

I haven't a clue what my #1 for the year is. I have Julia Holter up there right now, but it could easily change to Earl, Sophie or Yves. They're all pretty much tied, and Earl's certainly gaining the fastest. Lubomyr Melnyk dropped a fantastic last-minute album too.

Portugal, Uganda, Poland, S. Korea and Spain all had some pretty exciting output, albeit marginal, but overall I think the biggest standout was the fact the UK had one of their best years in... well... awhile. Maybe since the late 90's. Especially with a wave or energetic young jazz coming out of what seems like nowhere. Maybe it's a Brexit creativity/punk necessity to express, dunno, but I think it'll continue into next year. Little disappointed in Canada, Iceland and Denmark, but maybe they'll have a stronger output next year.

Hip-hop had a strange year of very high highs and very low lows, albums ranging anywhere from 18 to 200 minutes, which both somehow seem to be... trends? Think I don't think I listened to a single hip-hop record this year landing in the 50-65 minute range... or any records in any genre for that matter. It felt like most albums clocked in between 20-45 minutes or 90+. Suppose it might be a sign the CD's days are nearing over.

I don't think I listened to a single new folk or blues album throughout the year Neutral and maybe only 1 or 2 'indie rock'-labelled things. That neo-r&b phase that blew up a few years ago didn't feel too hot either.

Personally, I don't think it was the best year for singles, but the album seemed alive and well. I'm sure others might thing the exact opposite, but that's what I heard throughout the year anyway.

I might have merely missed it, but I feel mainstream pop was practically dead in 2018. I don't remember the last time major commercial releases felt so thin.

Quote:
Anyways, I would see it as a good year plenty full of interesting releases but maybe thin on any enduring classics or blow-em-all-out-of-the-water head-turners.

And yeah, something along those lines. It won't be a dominate year come decade-end lists, but it certainly wasn't bad. Seemed like there was a whole bunch of 'good' albums, but nothing breaking too far beyond that. I think the hype for the Daughters' record will die down come a few months too... not sure how much of that you can listen to before you get bored.

Can't believe we're rounding into the last year of the decade. Suppose artists might be holding out for some big punches? Hopefully anyway. Seeing a slew of more experimental hip-hop records in 2019 would be great, along with maybe some more bubblegum-bass-esque work reaching the mainstream.

Would love to see indie artists getting paid a little more too Mr. Green That'd be nice. Hopefully Spotify's plan goes through.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 23:01
  • Post subject:
Quote:
and maybe only 1 or 2 'indie rock'-labelled things.

Funnily enough, I would say that two of the more enjoyable "indie rock" type albums I listened to this year happened to come from the country that is your current residence.

They aren't groundbreaking by any means, but they are pleasant to listen to.

Aztlán by Zoé

Parques by Los Románticos De Zacatecas
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 23:14
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
deconstructed-pop of the future (what dem youves are calling PC-music, I think?)

BAGCs love the Kacey now, thanks P4k.

PC Music is a label. So 2010s deconstructed pop (to use your term) is to PC Music what 1960s pop soul is to Motown Records.

Hmm... boring ass gay cowboys? Think

P.S. Cool to see qp on your chart. Any thoughts on those other recs?
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 23:23
  • Post subject:
I've heard like 273 releases from this year and there's like at least 80 that I think are great and I spent a good amount of time with and they all really enriched my year. Aviary made my all time top 10 and Everyone Needs A Plan got into the 100. I have been having the best time, there's so much. Like listen to the Jake Tobin song on here, Your Tongue Was Caught http://trulybald.bandcamp.com/album/1-3-5 music is amazing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/28/2018 23:30
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
and maybe only 1 or 2 'indie rock'-labelled things.

Funnily enough, I would say that two of the more enjoyable "indie rock" type albums I listened to this year happened to come from the country that is your current residence.

They aren't groundbreaking by any means, but they are pleasant to listen to.

Ah, cool cool. Haven't given either a spin. By the sounds of it, I'll put the Zoé record in my queue. Exploded View also had a record out a few months back that went over fairly well. Mexico's had an aight year for music, particularly due to the fact Musas Vol. 2 turned out as good as it did (bought a CD copy of that a few weeks ago from a hawker I'm 99% sure stole it due to the pittance of a pricetag... wanted the record, but it's going for around $650-700 Rolling Eyes, and record stores aren't too big here). Most music here is live, and you rarely spot anyone walking around with headphones, even on the metro. There's some great acts playing, but I don't think it's a culture too hot on recording albums (compared to the output of music). Being said, hope to see a handful of strong releases from here in 2019.

My indie rock pick of the year is an easy choice with this:

Telltale Signs by Sobs

Which is probably the best twee record I've heard since Cross Paths. It's short, but it's solid. Parquet Courts
Wide Awake is fantastic too, but I think it lands pretty far away from the standard genre. Haven't given Rolling Blackouts C.F.'s Hope Downs a spin yet, but I'll be getting to it soon.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 23:54
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I've heard like 273 releases from this year and there's like at least 80 that I think are great and I spent a good amount of time with and they all really enriched my year. Aviary made my all time top 10 and Everyone Needs A Plan got into the 100. I have been having the best time, there's so much. Like listen to the Jake Tobin song on here, Your Tongue Was Caught http://trulybald.bandcamp.com/album/1-3-5 music is amazing

i'm right there with you. i think the biggest hangup with the year is maybe just how much is out there. like hayden said, there's no clear direction that this generation of artists are all moving in. everyone is more or less out doing their own thing now. we have access to so much, which isn't a bad thing, but it does make for a less cohesive statement as a culture or something maybe.

nevertheless, i've listened to everything in my top ten at least a dozen times, and i imagine five or six of those are going to stick with me for a long time. there's also way too much on my list i haven't gotten to yet AND those releases i've listened to a billion times that aren't in our DB (e.g. fyfe dangerfield's 12 episode Birdwatcher series). all-in-all, it's been a pretty exciting year for me.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2018 01:57
  • Post subject:
I spent much of the 2010s catching up on things I missed in the past and discovering a lot of new to me music. Consequently, I was largely a year or two behind on the new stuff. 2018 was the first year in a long time that I actually kept up with the music as it happened.

That said, my early impression is that 2018 was a lot like 2017. Lots of good music, but for me concentrated in a couple genres. For any given year or period of years, I find one or two genres comprise much of my preferences, but it's not always the same genres. What I discovered in 2017-2018 (and going back to 2016 as well) was a resurgence of quality prog. The tops of my charts from those years are dominated by prog with jazz a fairly strong second where in the few years before that jazz was at the top with additional strong showings by symphonic metal and resurgent classic rock artists, but a dearth of good prog.

Of course this is my personal impression of the year as prog and jazz are not popular genres. I'm not really in a position to give impressions of the larger trends across the music that reaches most as I have little interest in it and my time is limited.

I don't follow cinema enough to really comment there at all. As for politics, it was just plain ugly (an assessment people on opposite sides generally agree on), and looks like it might even get uglier before it gets better.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2018 02:14
Hayden wrote:

But yeah, what a weird year DECADE for music. I don't think there was a coherent theme/vibe/sound/atmosphere, anything. Albums were all over the place. Usually there's a genre or two that dominates, but most releases this year were such a fusions that I don't think any sound sticks out (maaaybe noise-pop/post-industrial/gritty stuff?... or pop). I think it's showing too, nobody seems to know what direction to head in. New-sounding genres are popping up all over the place, with nobody finding a name for most of them. So, that's exciting I suppose.

(sethmadsen edited to DECADE)

I honestly feel this way about the 10's in general. I am no where near as deep into the decade as many of you are and I suppose one could say this about any decade... it's just the 10's feel especially so. In someways it's great (having such a plethora of directions, sub-directions, non-directions) and in some ways it's frustrating. And like many of you have mentioned a lot of it being good but mediocre... but some of it great (I suppose another generalization you can make about any other time period).

This plethora I suppose is allowing for a lot of data gathering so AI can make our music for us in the next decade... (kidding... not kidding?) It kind of already is... there already are algorithms for the "perfect pop song"... curious how much of it more or less is following that algorithm already.

If you are looking for a binary opposite, I suppose that's it, you have the "ackchyually" music vs the "factory" music... methinks?
  • Visit poster's website