Get To Know A Top 10: January 2019 Thread - Tap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Return Of Fenn O'Berg by Fenn O'Berg
6%
 6%  [1]
Fantasmes Ou L'Histoire De Blanche-Neige by Jacques Lejeune
0%
 0%  [0]
Super æ by Boredoms
0%
 0%  [0]
Tago Mago by Can
37%
 37%  [6]
Aviary by Julia Holter
12%
 12%  [2]
Heave To by Olivia Block
6%
 6%  [1]
Syro by Aphex Twin
0%
 0%  [0]
Sung Tongs by Animal Collective
25%
 25%  [4]
Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus
12%
 12%  [2]
Wild Why by Wobbly
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/04/2019 16:33
  • Post subject:
Heave To was a pleasant listen; heard worse, heard better.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2019 17:32
  • Post subject:
I started with Wobbly.

I am prepared for the usual slew of accusations of closed minded elitism, but pleas read all the way through before flinging the usual canned responses.

1. I don't care for hip hop or any music overly reliant on a repetitive beat. I just will not get to the point where I can think of talking over artificial percussion as meaningful music.
2. I don't care for sampling. Write your own damn music.
3. I don't care for most electronic music. Play a real damn instrument!

Now, having said all that, I found this album to be a rather interesting listening experience. I should have hated this album, but I didn't, and actually got into it to some degree. I'm not logging into Amazon to order a copy, but I was able to happily listen to the entire thing and wouldn't automatically dismiss it should it come before me again.

While much of the music sampled was originally, IMO, mind numbingly repetitious, the samples were mixed with some deftness into a collage of sound that was not as such. There was a groove and a rhythm to it, but it had more complexity than the originals, and morphed often enough, and in interesting enough ways, to allow for (my) listening without wanting to just chuck it, but rather simultaneously settling in to what was going on and looking forward to what was going to happen next.

I'm not going to declare it some kind of great musical triumph, but I do think it's pretty darn good at what it does.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2019 17:36
  • Post subject:
re: Heave To pleasantness, I'd believe it's totally fair to have any opinion like that about any of this music or also any others. You could hate it, you could love it, you could think it's pleasant, you could feel nothing, there are many valid possibilities. But I think just having an opinion is one of the most boring things you can do with music. And if that's all anyone wants then I would not recommend these 10 albums. Like I genuinely think youd have better luck with different resources and that best case scenario, some of these might get an 8.5, if they're lucky.

and thanks fischman, I of course disagree with some of those positions but I am glad you shared! will try to reply more later. but briefly, on the subject of sampling, I would say that I don't really see a difference between sampling and the borrowing that is involved in something like Let My Children Hear Music. People have always been able to shamelessly borrow and add nothing, but I think sampling can absolutely be a part of this transformative tradition.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 00:54
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
2. I don't care for sampling. Write your own damn music.

There are different kinds of sampling. Someone can make a short sample of a sound and manipulate it so that its source is unrecognizable and they've created a new sound. Theoretically someone could write a whole symphony using one short sample multitracked in different pitches and lengths.

Quote:

Some electronic music's made by playing the same synthesizers prog keyboardists play.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 01:15
  • Post subject:
It could get even more extreme than just a short sample being pitch changed. Using Stockhausen's Four Criteria For Electronic Music (link here) you could take small grains of sound in the millisecond range, and space them out in time with absolute silence between them, and the brain will read that as a continuous sound. And the pitch will be determined by the pitch for the grains but also by the speed they're at, you could have the same pitch for the grains but if they're coming in faster it will make a higher pitch. And then the timbre of the sound can be crafted with variation in the grains, a noisier sound will have more variation.

And on the 2nd point, I'd imagine that was why "most" was used, but it does beg the question of where the line is. Like I'd have to imagine this is cool

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2019 01:19
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:

Agreed. That's why I don't care for singing. Learn how to play an instrument you lazy vocalists. The fact singers consider themselves musicians is ridiculous (and, frankly, insulting towards accordionists, who do a lot of things to make music happen out of that squeezebox).
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 02:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Fischman wrote:

Agreed. That's why I don't care for singing. Learn how to play an instrument you lazy vocalists. The fact singers consider themselves musicians is ridiculous (and, frankly, insulting towards accordionists, who do a lot of things to make music happen out of that squeezebox).

On that note, drummers aren’t really musicians either. They’re just hitting things. No sense of melody or harmony. A two-year-old can do that nonsense.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 03:59
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Fischman wrote:

On that note, drummers aren’t really musicians either. They’re just hitting things. No sense of melody or harmony. A two-year-old can do that nonsense.

I was going to say that, as someone who plays the drums, I can make up a beat pretty easily on the drum kit, but I've tried programming a beat with music software and it sounds like utter rubbish. You don't just press a button and WHAMO, the music is made. It's a composition just like anything else.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 04:15
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Fischman wrote:

I mean, bass guitar amirite?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 04:39
  • Post subject:
We may be emphasizing the wrong part of that post. Because I don't think the point was to argue for the universal validity of these biases, but rather that they were honestly present for him but that the album was still able to connect, even if it's not ending up on the regular rotation. And that's really cool! I have biases too. Basically any metal music, when I hear it, I'm like "fuck I wish you weren't doing every single one of the things that makes this metal music". And that's led me to be unfair to a lot of music, but I don't think anyone can really be fair to all of it, these sorts of things are going to happen. However, I do also have some interesting things related to these biases that could be fun to get into. Like with the drum programming thing, there's this very short album that you can hear in its entirety here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFszSOs-igQ Mikel Rouse - Quorum, it's from 1984 and it is exclusively Linndrum, an extremely 80s sounding drum machine. It was written as a soundtrack to a dance thing (something that will come up again later for the top 10), and I don't know if I'd exactly say it's repetitive but it does have a constancy and fixed pulse to it that when combined with the single instrument, could turn people off. I don't know if I'd call it a favorite exactly, but I'm really glad I know it and it enriches my sense of the musical landscape.

but one thing I'd like to get into a bit is this description of rapping

Quote:
I just will not get to the point where I can think of talking over artificial percussion as meaningful music.

I think it's totally fair to not be interested in it, but I think it's something much different than talking over percussion. Like check out this track from Lena Platonos, Markos, from her 1985 album Gallop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjdfY8x3y9A like that's talking over a beat (and it's amazing). But rapping does specific things with cadence and pitch, and it gets repeated in live performances, I hear a lot of musicality in it now. Like look at this 2 year old, they totally get it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygEBi_EU50

I was totally biased against rap, and a lot of pop. I would watch TRL and get mad when KoRn didn't win, and wrote an article for my middle school paper about how boy bands actually weren't very good. I was already beginning to shake that mindset by the time I hear Wobbly, but this album really helped me see that music more fairly and get into enjoying hip hop. Though my chart still doesn't have any hip hop on it. But that's because I'm way more casual about it, I don't put the work in on really knowing what I'm talking about with it. This isn't to say that I don't think it's a part of the "best music". Because my chart is just the stuff I know how to listen to the best. But yeah, I do think it's worth re-examining that particular bias, because even if none of it becomes your favorite music ever, I think it is beneficial to be able to hear the music in it.
  • Visit poster's website