• Post subject:

Thrilled To Be Here by BAILEN
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2019 15:29
  • Post subject:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...ongs-2019/

Usually a favourite of mine, I'm finding the bottom 50 weak Confused And even some odd choices in the top 20.

Some good tracks this year though. Would love to hear what BEA thought were some of the best. Despite being the era of 'the single' I can't help but feel the past 3-4 years have been far better years for albums than singles, 2019 no exception.

Being said, not sure if my top 2 would be any different, so can't complain.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 12/09/2019 16:59
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/best-songs-2019/

Usually a favourite of mine, I'm finding the bottom 50 weak Confused And even some odd choices in the top 20.

Some good tracks this year though. Would love to hear what BEA thought were some of the best. Despite being the era of 'the single' I can't help but feel the past 3-4 years have been far better years for albums than singles, 2019 no exception.

I think the top 10 is pretty good, I'm glad "Not" sneaked in there. I honestly heaven't heard a lot of the rest of it, but there are some weird choices among the songs I do know. Even I would admit The 1975's "People" shouldn't be on this list, and the one Purple Mountains song they picked is, IMO, the worst song on that album.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2019 18:08
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Hayden wrote:

I think the top 10 is pretty good, I'm glad "Not" sneaked in there. I honestly heaven't heard a lot of the rest of it, but there are some weird choices among the songs I do know. Even I would admit The 1975's "People" shouldn't be on this list, and the one Purple Mountains song they picked is, IMO, the worst song on that album.

Top 10's definitely decent. Didn't think Bags would land so high, and I don't care for that Bad Bunny track at all, but I'm cool with the rest. Little stupid they don't have any MadGibbs, Nick Cave, Tyler, or Carly Rae Jepsen anywhere on the board though... Surely Flat Tummy Tea, Crime Pays, Too Much, Earfquake and Julien could've made the cut. And yeah, All My Happiness Is Gone would've been my pick for Purple Mountains.

I still can't really get into 90% of the cloudrap/trap scene Sad Nearly every hip-hop track off the list isn't my thing (Danny Brown, Rico Nasty, and Maxo Kream as exceptions). The only 'cloud' one I can seem to enjoy is Lil Uzi. Like I said, would've loved to see some MadGibbs... maybe Little Simz, Billy Woods, Earl, Mavi, Quelle Chris, Slowthai... Pissy Pamper's getting praise everywhere, but I'm finding it just a bore.

Giving what I haven't heard a spin right now. Digging this Four Tet track.

Sidenote, surely I'm not the only person who thinks All Mirrors is better than Lark?
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/09/2019 21:42
  • Post subject:
Snow Is Falling In Manhattan is the worst song on the album?? Well I'll be damned, it would maybe be my pick for the best song there. It has excellent lyrics at the very least. But yeah, the list was decent.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2019 05:19
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Snow Is Falling In Manhattan is the worst song on the album?? Well I'll be damned, it would maybe be my pick for the best song there. It has excellent lyrics at the very least. But yeah, the list was decent.

I think it's just too monotonous musically for me to really get into. All of the songs on that album are great lyrically, so I wouldn't say there are any bad songs on it. But All My Happiness is Gone, Margaritas At the Mall, and Nights That Won't Happen are all among my favorite songs of the year and I'm pretty surprised they didn't pick one of those for the list. Of course when I read these lists I assume whoever is making them has the same taste as I do, which is a bad assumption Smile
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/12/2019 09:35
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Shawn Mendes, LOLOLOL they really have gone all in on t he "HELLO, FELLOW KIDS!" appeal. At least Rolling Stone's choices don't even hide their out-of-sync dadrock joy. On the actual songs, they could be worse, but still... (and even though I don't really like it that much I can now say I've heard "Bad Guy" in twelve different translations, three-to-four of which I actually have some familiarity with the language, so ironically it's probably going to end up as my most listened-to song of the year. You win, instagram.)
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/13/2019 19:31
  • Post subject:

It Hates You! ...but not quite as much ...lynn's Ego
Late 2019 gem from soundcloud, its impossible mix of genres has left me confused, but in a very enjoyable way. It talks about the struggles of growing up through clever use of samples

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/14/2019 04:28
  • Post subject:
https://daily.bandcamp.com/best-of-2019...019-100-81

Probably the 3rd or 4th year running that Bandcamp have had my favourite year-end list. Just pick something and listen to it.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2019 22:46
  • Post subject:

We All Have An Impact by Boreal Massif

this has been flying under the radar so I figured i'd post it in here. an excellent illbient/trip hop album out of the UK.
  • Visit poster's website