meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 16:47
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Anti wrote:

Nighttime Birds And Morning Stars by Sarah Louise

Really good psychedelic drone folk. Kind of like a very concise Natural Snow Buildings record. The beautiful album art is what grabbed my attention in the first place.

Thrill Jockey stay killing shit like '98-'00 Cash Money, yo.

Easily one of the best artists in my new home city of Asheville
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 19:21
  • Post subject:
Stickie applied.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2019 22:36
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

Henger I Luften by Jo David Meyer Lysne

I don't know what this is. It defies easy genre classification. It's ambient. Playful. Mysterious. Meditative. Fluid. Perfect.

And it's my favorite album so far in a really hot year.

ps. Stole this from Hayden's chart. It's his #1 too.

Glad you like it. Throw in jazz and your description feels about right. Wouldn't be surprised if it stays in my top 30 of the year. Think I gave it a 75/100 on initial, but it's definitely grown on me. If you dug that, make sure to check out the rest of Hubro's discography. They usually put out a release every two months or so. I just added a whole slew from their label that we didn't have in the database.

But yeah, Norway's got #1 and #2 of the year so far for me. Two great releases.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2019 22:38
  • Post subject:
My first run through with the new Within Temptation album, Resist, was underwhelming. It didn't seem to have the creativity or fire of their last few releases.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 02/03/2019 22:39
  • Post subject:
I exist partially on another app thing like plug dj called jqbx or something like that and the one room I frequent introduced me to an album called Spending Eternity in a Japanese Convenience Store by forests. I highly recommend it to all emo fans out there!
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/04/2019 15:12
  • Post subject:
At the risk of lowering the tone, I think this is a lot of fun. The album page has got a bit tribal and down-votey so I thought I would raise this album here instead.

Yeah, in my view its a pretty brainless album, but in a clever way, if that makes sense? They pull it off these covers with serious panache and attention to detail too, even though they are deliberately sticking close to the originals.

I don't think its just goofy ironic covers-you can tell they really like these songs and make a good "If it ain't broke..." sort of case for MOR 80s pop and soft rock. Also, I find the idea of Weezer as an MOR covers band charming and this album has reignited my interest in them after about 18 years when I hardly listened to them.

Basically, I think it's perfectly forgettable, but in the best possible way. It's very enjoyable fore a few listens or when in a partying sort of mood.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/04/2019 15:29
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
At the risk of lowering the tone, I think this is a lot of fun. The album page has got a bit tribal and down-votey so I thought I would raise this album here instead.

Yeah, in my view its a pretty brainless album, but in a clever way, if that makes sense? They pull it off these covers with serious panache and attention to detail too, even though they are deliberately sticking close to the originals.

I don't think its just goofy ironic covers-you can tell they really like these songs and make a good "If it ain't broke..." sort of case for MOR 80s pop and soft rock. Also, I find the idea of Weezer as an MOR covers band charming and this album has reignited my interest in them after about 18 years when I hardly listened to them.

Basically, I think it's perfectly forgettable, but in the best possible way. It's very enjoyable fore a few listens or when in a partying sort of mood.

I just think it's a bizarre thing to have any sort of strong opinion on. People surely knew straight off the bat whether they're the sort of person likely to enjoy a tongue-in-cheek, on-the-nose covers album by 2019 Weezer? Why get wound up by it? Nobody is forcing you to listen to it. It was barely a blip on my radar. I have plenty of records - ones that, y'know, I might actually like - to dig my teeth into, without wasting time on fraff for whom I'm not the target audience. Getting angry at Weezer being corny and irritating is like getting angry at the world for turning.
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/04/2019 21:13
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

I just think it's a bizarre thing to have any sort of strong opinion on. People surely knew straight off the bat whether they're the sort of person likely to enjoy a tongue-in-cheek, on-the-nose covers album by 2019 Weezer? Why get wound up by it? Nobody is forcing you to listen to it. It was barely a blip on my radar. I have plenty of records - ones that, y'know, I might actually like - to dig my teeth into, without wasting time on fraff for whom I'm not the target audience. Getting angry at Weezer being corny and irritating is like getting angry at the world for turning.

Yep. Cant argue with any of that.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/04/2019 22:30
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Thought I'd recommend some dope 2019 rap shit for the fam, so here's my top five that feature in less than three charts:

Free Sauce by Ketchy the Great

First up is my favourite rap record of 2019 thus far, a selection of recordings made by the Stinc Team's resident livewire prior to his recent incarceration. Over a series of lo-fi hyphy instrumentals with blown-out bass shudders, Ketchy and his snowplough flow bark their way above and across beats with scant regard for finding or staying in the pocket, alongside a series of L.A.'s other major rising stars, including Shoreline Mafia, Desto Dubb, Bambino, and inimitable songbird 03 Greedo, offering unapologetic, slang-laden shit-talk, largely about selling and/or consuming various drugs, but no less entertaining for it. Whilst not quite as dense nor as beautifully surreal with the pen, respectively, as fellow Stinc members Ralfy the Plug (who also shows up here) and de facto group leader Drakeo the Ruler, Ketchy is a unique presence whose mix of charming Keak Da Sneak energy and growling DMX intensity make him one to watch closely the minute he's released.

January 30th by Payroll Giovanni

Payroll Giovanni, of Detroit street rap legends Doughboyz Cashout (RIP Roc), has carved out a lane in recent years as one of hip-hop's finest purveyors of nimble, technical, decidedly unglamorous gangsta rap, a post-Gibbs type who takes his craft as seriously as his code. Whilst my particular preference is for the luxurious g-funk he puts out in collaboration with Cardo (last year's Big Bossin Vol. 2 was amongst 2018's very best, of any genre), he sounds equally at home over that monstrous, bass-heavy, Detroit sound (which is also present on Sada Baby's critically acclaimed latest), itself a close cousin of the Bay Area hyphy found elsewhere on this list, namely Free Sauce and No Pressure. Over eight catchy, focused tracks, Giovanni's contempt for the music industry shines through, with some of his most vivid lines ever, forming a mission statement of sorts that wouldn't outstay its welcome were it double the length.

Nothing Is Something by Tree & Vic Spencer

Tree, Chicago's gravel-voiced street preacher whose signature 'soultrap' innovation - which consists of, you guessed it, dusty soul samples over trap percussion - and pair of Sunday School mixtapes should have made him a much bigger star than he is, has been all but missing in action for the past few years, so it was a very pleasant surprise to see him return with this low-stakes collection of wizened, knowing street rap in collaboration with grimy smart aleck and fellow Chicagoan Vic Spencer. The pair complement each other extremely well, with Vic's sharp, nasal punchlines cutting through Tree's bluesy impressionism, and a scene-stealing guest verse from one of rap's in-form stars, longtime Spencer collaborator Chris Crack, is simply the cherry atop a highly satisfying cake.

No Pressure by Offset Jim

Oakland's Offset Jim is best-known as good friend of and cold-blooded counterpoint to the rapidly rising and hugely likeable motormouth ALLBLACK, who turns up with a guest-spot on this polished, memorable debut. Built on a bed of skeletal Bay Area slappers with earthquake-inducing bass thuds, Jim's quiet, plainspoken, emotionless flow renders his constant threats of physical violence slightly terrifying, like the psychopath pimp whose punchlines you're cautious to laugh at for fear of Pesci in Goodfellas style, "funny how?" retribution. Needless to say, this particular mix of throwback Bay Area minimalist synthetic funk and hushed, dead-eyed intensity is a winning combination.

Hey Manny 2 by YungManny

15-year-old DMV native YungManny is an ADHD rapper, a highly entertaining goon who switches effortlessly and without warning between sugary, post-Thug warbling and aggressively offbeat (and just plain aggressive) snarling, filling his stream-of-consciousness threats with cartoon characters and bad-taste pop culture references in a way that only a hood kid in the information overload age could. At times, his pure, unfiltered energy and relentless sense of fun call to mind those halcyon days of early grime, even if his sound is rooted in ever-so-2019 melodic trap. With a knack for both earworm hooks and "what did he just say?!?" quotables, Manny has all the tools to establish himself as one of the truly standout voices in a crowded field, and it's fair to say that - given his almost unbelievably young age - he's got time firmly on his side.

Let me know if y'all hear anything you think I might like. Peace.

Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2019 02:49
  • Post subject:

Careful by Boy Harsher

Fantastic Darkwave/Synth Pop that's NOT just a regurgitation of the 80s. Although let's be honest. If you don't like 80s synth pop, you are NOT going to like this. Makes me think I need to pay a visit to a goth club soon if fresh sounds like this r back in vogue. Love getting lost on the dance floor to this kind of stuff. Sounds like gay dance music from the 80s met a (poppy) German Darkwave band from the 80s. With just a pinch of Adult. (the band) darkness & coolness thrown in. Ladytron's new album will have a tough time topping this and if you like Ladytron u should totally check this out.
  • Visit poster's website