2019 albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/20/2019 14:29
  • Post subject:
New Thom Yorke in July, and it's looking a little more promising than his last. New releases from Devendra Banhart, Chelsea Wolfe, Maxo Kream, Efterklang, Vagabon, Khruangbing, Bonnie “Prince” Billy, Hold Steady, Frankie Cosmos, Sleater-Kinney, Moodymann, Alex Cameron and Charli XCX all announced in the last week too. Could be a decent summer season.

Hyped for the new MadGibs... every track has been stellar.
  • Visit poster's website
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2019 06:13
  • Post subject:
Anyone else listening to the new Black Midi album on repeat? This and Nilufer Yanya are my two favorites of the year so far. Seems like it's been a minute since I've been this excited about any debuts, and I'm loving it.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/27/2019 08:19
  • Post subject:

Odd One Out by Girli

vintage mid-00s british dance-pop that is engaging and fun despite it being categorically generic
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2019 22:11
  • Post subject:

Sundada by Komodo Kolektif

Trying to get back to litstening to something from this year.

Gamelan, Krautrocky stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/01/2019 13:25
  • Post subject:

Bandana by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib

Not sure what to make of this one yet. I like it, but I expected a bit more. Some real bangers, but as an album I don't think it's better than Pinata. Will have to listen to it a few more times though

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2019 14:36
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Not sure what to make of this one yet. I like it, but I expected a bit more. Some real bangers, but as an album I don't think it's better than Pinata. Will have to listen to it a few more times though

I'll agree. Been through it three times, and it's undeniably good, but it feels like a commendable victory lap. Some lazy notes:

-Really odd they decided to open with Freestyle Shit, which feels like an outro.
-I would've cut Gat Damn.
-My biggest issue with the project has to be the hooks (sampled or original), which aren't as interesting as I think they thought they were. One of Madvilliany's biggest assets is that it's essentially a barrage of chorusless verses, which is a format I think would've improved Bandana.
-As a whole, the album's a little too reserved for its own good (which keeps it humble, but I don't think Gibbs needs to be humble).
-Would've liked to see a Quasimoto verse somewhere in there too, but that's beside the point.
-Nothing comes close to Flat Tummy Tea.

But yeah, still a good project, and I'm glad to hear more material from the duo. There's at least a solid 6-7 cuts on the record that'll be in my rotation, so no complaints. And I'll probably still buy the record.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/01/2019 21:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:

I'll agree. Been through it three times, and it's undeniably good, but it feels like a commendable victory lap. Some lazy notes:

-Really odd they decided to open with Freestyle Shit, which feels like an outro.
-I would've cut Gat Damn.
-My biggest issue with the project has to be the hooks (sampled or original), which aren't as interesting as I think they thought they were. One of Madvilliany's biggest assets is that it's essentially a barrage of chorusless verses, which is a format I think would've improved Bandana.
-As a whole, the album's a little too reserved for its own good (which keeps it humble, but I don't think Gibbs needs to be humble).
-Would've liked to see a Quasimoto verse somewhere in there too, but that's beside the point.
-Nothing comes close to Flat Tummy Tea.

But yeah, still a good project, and I'm glad to hear more material from the duo. There's at least a solid 6-7 cuts on the record that'll be in my rotation, so no complaints. And I'll probably still buy the record.

Some lazy counterpoints.

- 'Freestyle Shit' is a dope intro. Smooth shittalking, which perfectly sets the scene for what's to come.
- 'Gat Damn' has the best drums on the album, and Freddie is floating.
- The hooks are a madness. 'Crime Pays', 'Giannis', Killer Mike's hook on 'Palmolive', 'Soul Right', etc., are all top tier hooks.
- Not sure I understand this criticism. Gibbs is still rapping about selling coke and fucking your bitch, but with an extra helping of Afrocentrism. He's never sounded this riled up. Doesn't read as "reserved" or "humble" to me.
- Quas verse woulda been great. Agreed.
- 'Palmolive'. 'Practice'. 'Cataracts'. 'Fake Names'.

Nothing on here touches 'Thuggin'', but neither does anything on any other album by anybody else. Difficult to say whether it's as good as its predecessor, but it's close enough that I can't possibly imagine hearing a better album this year.
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 07/01/2019 22:48
  • Post subject: 2019
What is the best album of 19
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/02/2019 17:46
  • Post subject:
Pusha’s verse on Palmolive is top tier shit, the best guest appearance on the whole album.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/03/2019 13:51
  • Post subject:
Im def digging Bandana, a little older, a little wiser, more bruisin' than banging, still always full of exciting ideas getting realized, which is the best thing you could ask for regardless. Donno if it's as good or even better than "Pinata", donno if that's really important and need more time with it anyway.

Anyways what's some important under the rader 2019 releases, I'm still behind.
  • Visit poster's website