Un-google-able bands

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 01/05/2019 13:20
  • Post subject: Un-google-able bands
So yesterday I discovered this great powerpop/prog band called Lollipop Factory who are bit like a 90s version of Queen. Their stuff is super ambitious and original and it kind of boggles my mind that their first album was made by one dude in a tiny attic on analogue tape. I've searched high and low, and aside from a handful of tracks on youtube and soundcloud I can't find their albums anywhere, neither for sale nor dodgy download.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, I remember going on an insane wild goose chase looking for EPs by Evil Harrisons (which involved hunting down various members of the band on facebook). Ditto Pale Young Gentlemen who's disappearance off the face of the earth led me to email the record company looking for any information whatsoever.

My point is, some bands are terrible at having a web presence, and some are just lost to time. It's surprising/alarming to me that even in the information age, many great works of art just slip through the cracks.

What albums do you guys cherish that literally nobody has heard of (nor can hear), and what albums are you still searching for that remain stubbornly un-google-able?
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 14:37
  • Post subject:
Not impossible to find, but a PITA:

There is a 90s/00s post rock band named Tone. They opened a show for Come (same problem here too) we saw in DC. Crazy band, they had some outrageous number of guitarists -- like 10 or more.

I tried finding them on Spotify, and they do have snippets of some albums there, but Spotify is horrid when bands share names or common words. (It doesn't help that Tone named their albums common words too.)

Even after finding the right band & album, if you click the band name in Spotify to find their discography it gives you a hodgepodge of other bands named 'Tone'. Really annoying, especially since this is supposed to be what Spotify was built to do. (It's not like I'm looking for 'Tone' on a shopping site or something, which I could understand returning muddied results.)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2019 16:30
  • Post subject:
!!!
  • Visit poster's website
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 01/05/2019 16:38
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
Not impossible to find, but a PITA:

There is a 90s/00s post rock band named Tone. They opened a show for Come (same problem here too) we saw in DC. Crazy band, they had some outrageous number of guitarists -- like 10 or more.

I tried finding them on Spotify, and they do have snippets of some albums there, but Spotify is horrid when bands share names or common words. (It doesn't help that Tone named their albums common words too.)

Even after finding the right band & album, if you click the band name in Spotify to find their discography it gives you a hodgepodge of other bands named 'Tone'. Really annoying, especially since this is supposed to be what Spotify was built to do. (It's not like I'm looking for 'Tone' on a shopping site or something, which I could understand returning muddied results.)

Whatever algorithm spotify is using to organize their content is not working. My friend was hit with a cease and desist from spotify claiming that his song was plagiarizing another song by a different artist. Both songs and artists were him.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/05/2019 16:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
!!!

The The
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 01/05/2019 16:46
  • Post subject:
Clearly I picked the wrong title for this thread.
I probably should have called it something like:
Amazing Super Obscure Bands That You Can't Find Online, What Are Some Of Your Favorites?
Oh well my bad.
On the topic of "Bands Who's Name Is Too General Sounding To Yield Useful Result When Entered Into The Search Engine Developed By Everyone's Favorite Data Hungry Mega Corporation" I would have to go with Free.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2019 16:52
  • Post subject:
kickerofelves wrote:
Clearly I picked the wrong title for this thread.
I probably should have called it something like:
Amazing Super Obscure Bands That You Can't Find Online, What Are Some Of Your Favorites?

Think

Not to be a buzzkill kickerofelves, but I Googled Lollipop Factory with ease and found an album titled 'Soon', as well as two tracks off of it. If you want to start a thread of complete albums that haven't been uploaded online, I have a whole slew of Asian and African records I could hit the thread with.
  • Visit poster's website
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 01/05/2019 18:07
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Not to be a buzzkill kickerofelves, but I Googled Lollipop Factory with ease and found an album titled 'Soon', as well as two tracks off of it. If you want to start a thread of complete albums that haven't been uploaded online, I have a whole slew of Asian and African records I could hit the thread with.

kickerofelves wrote:
I've searched high and low, and aside from a handful of tracks on youtube and soundcloud I can't find their albums anywhere, neither for sale nor dodgy download.

About half of their songs are up somewhere (otherwise I couldn't have discovered them) but no full albums.

And yes please post those records you mentioned Smile I started this thread for the purpose of sharing stuff like that.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 18:11
  • Post subject:
I once encountered a French prog band called eN.

Yep. Just a little e followed by a Capital N.

Google is no help.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 19:39
  • Post subject:
OH yeah, another one which is frustrating, and I'm not going to search this unless I'm on a VPN for obvious reasons, but Teenage Snuff Film by Rowland Howard. I want to buy it, but where? Nowhere.

You can stream it on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure the places where it is uploaded are not legit. (Granted, he's dead, so he doesn't care.)

Also had trouble finding People Are Like Seasons by Sophie. (Another impossible-to-search band name.) But I couldn't even cobble together the whole album without resorting to some live tracks to fill in the gaps.
  • Visit poster's website