ISO advice, a way to listen to albums/podcasts on the road

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2019 00:52
  • Post subject: ISO advice, a way to listen to albums/podcasts on the road
When it comes to listening to music and podcasts, I'm very old school, so pardon me if I sound out of touch.

Preface: I had to buy a new [used] car in Nov after my previous one failed on me. Everything's cool with the new car, except for one thing you can never tell from a test drive...the CD player doesn't work.

Bummer. I could get it fixed, or replace the whole stereo, whichever's cheaper. But let's be honest, CDs are outdated. I own about 300 CDs, but I've heard them all over and over again, and I don't buy new ones nearly as often as I used to. So I don't know if I want to fix this problem. I see it as opportunity to change the way I listen to albums.

So now my question for you is 'what other options can I explore?'

I've considered buying a new or used iPod or iPod Touch and getting Apple Music. But do they allow downloading for offline listening? I have an old 2008 iPod Nano that I barely use anymore. You can sync that with Apple Music, right? Or is that iPod model too old? I also know some Apple products now aren't compatible with aux cables (seriously, wtf Apple?).

What about Pandora, Spotify, XM Radio, (or pirating but I prefer not)? I know very little about these. BEA, tell me about these platforms, and which one(s) could solve my dilemma. Is there another platform I don't know about? Do these allow downloading albums/podcasts for offline listening? Do these apps play music in the background while other apps are open? Are their bit rates good, because I was told Spotify's bit rate is only 96 (which is frankly terrible)? Has it improved?

Here's what I have:

1. Current car stereo with a working aux input, and cable
2. A Smartphone that isn't an iPhone, if that matters
3. A 2008 iPod Nano
4. An old Kenwood car stereo, with aux and USB input.
5. Income (yes I'm willing spend a little dough Smile)

Here's what I don't have but may be willing to spend $ on:

1. A subscription, as long as it's reasonably priced
2. A new or used portable device such as an iPod, iPod Touch, or portable speaker, preferably compatible with aux cable, but I'm open to other ideas.
3. Whatever else you can think of that might be helpful, as long as it's reasonably priced.

It sounds like Apple Music or Spotify are likely the best options. Which is better? Or is there a better option out there than both?

Okay BEA, fire away.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2019 01:05
  • Post subject: Re: ISO advice, a way to listen to albums/podcasts on the ro
I am an Apple Music user. Yes, they allow downloading for offline listening. And you can integrate your whole existing iTunes library and any future non-Apple Music downloads into that (up to 100,000 songs). So you don't have to ditch the music from your CD collection if you don't want to. Apple Music's bit rate is 256.

Apparently these are what you can use with Apple Music:

- iOS 8.4 or later on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- iTunes 12.2 or later on your Mac or PC
- An Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 9.0 or later
- An Android phone with Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or later and the Apple Music app

I always play music in my car through USB because that lets me charge at the same time, but my phone has a headphone jack as well.

I love Apple Music. I started in fall 2017, and I haven't paid for it yet due to my existing balance from always requesting iTunes gift cards for birthdays etc.

Downsides: Poor playlists / radio / curated content, no cool stats like with Spotify, much less social because people have to opt in, unlike Spotify where you opt out. But if anyone wants to add me and help fix the less social problem, PM me. Smile
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2019 01:21
  • Post subject:
I hate Apple, so won't use them.

All of the streaming services let you download, and likely will work with your car plugged into the USB.

So I have Spotify. When using the desktop app, it shows you your 'friend' feed which is nice, you can see what other people are listening to. Biggest problem with Spotify is they pay less to the artists (but have a higher user base...so the artists probably make the same) and they're missing Joanna Newsom. I have other complaints about their interface, but nothing that the others are better at.

I tried Amazon Unlimited, it is cheaper than Spotify if you have Prime. I found them not really any different except for Joanna Newsom.

I also have Deezer because of all my French friends. (It's big in France I guess?) It's $0.99 for the first 3 months I think. I like their app probably the best, it's simple. Their automatic playlists (based on previous listening) I think are very good.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go Deezer because all my 'social' music needs are met here and at RYM, and I need Joanna Newsom, and it's not as expensive (for a family account) as Spotify.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2019 00:48
  • Post subject:
Thank you baystate and carpents. I should have clearly mentioned my car stereo does not have USB input. Only aux. However, I saved my old Kenwood car stereo just in case I ever ran into a situation like this (and because that stereo is awesome). I might have that installed, for a price I'm sure. But I found this today:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Female-C...0794R6YCJ/

Has anyone ever used something like this? I wonder if there's quality loss in this adapter? There shouldn't be, right? Also, the fact it comes in a two-pack is a little worrisome. Does that mean it's janky and breaks easily?

As for Spotify, Apple Music, or Deezer, I'm not sold on any of them yet. They all have download/offline listening and all cost the same $9.99 a month, which are fine with me.

carpents mentioned Spotify doesn't have Joanna Newsom. Is it common for these platforms to lack certain artists?

Lastly, I assume playlists from Spotify and Deezer can be put on an ipod or ipod touch? I'm trying to avoid putting them on my phone, for work reasons plus they kill phone's batteries and performance.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2019 02:06
  • Post subject:
Those adapters...dunno, they don't look like they'd work. You say you have an 'aux' input, is that the 1/8" jack? If so, you can find a male-to-male 1/8" cable and run it straight from the iPod.

Not sure about the nano, but there are apps to run Spotify, Deezer, etc. on iPods or phones. (Android too.) Obviously Apple Music runs natively in iTunes.

As for the missing artists, some notable artists (Joanna Newsom, Taylor Swift, Cracker) have boycotted Spotify because they pay less. However, like I mentioned, there are way more plays on Spotify so an individual artist might make the same amount of money based on higher volume. If you're Taylor Swift you don't really care. Tidal came about because of this, but they're more expensive and won't be around for long.

I actually just got set up with an Apple Music account today, part of a family account to try it out. It's a real pain, it wouldn't work unless I activated the "iCloud" crap. This is exactly why I hate Apple, and refuse to use them.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2019 02:46
  • Post subject:
I use Spotify at work and for streaming new albums, and it's not uncommon that you'll find artists or albums not on there. Most lists will probably be out of date because the Beatles, Prince, and most Drag City artists (minus Newsom) recently got added. I personally don't care because I like the service and only use my iPod classic (good luck getting one of those today) in my car, so i can supplement my listening by buying music or listening on YouTube at home. You could always sign up for Spotify with ads, which is free, and take a look at what's available, but be aware artists can be added and removed with no warning. I only know the ones I often want to listen to, but notably I know Jay-Z, Dr Dre, NoMeansNo, and most early Coil isnt there. And probably others I'm forgetting. I also will say that while I like Spotify's year end summaries well enough, their playlists are often lackluster and I dont use them much. Their daily mixes, which throw together a bunch of songs with a certain genre or vibe, are based on what you listen to and can be good. But I've noticed a positive feedback loop where if you listen to the mixes it will keep throwing the same songs on...because you listened to them...on the mix.

Unfortunately I cant speak for Apple Music or Deezer because I havent used them. And when my iPod classic does I'm sure I'll be much in the same situation as you as far as finding an mp3 player goes.
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2019 03:33
  • Post subject:
I've used both Apple Music and Spotify. I have an iPhone and Macbook so obviously I thought Apple Music would be the most seamless. Unfortunately, my computer's iTunes library never properly synced with my Phone so I never enjoyed that compatibility (the thousands of songs I converted from CD onto my hard drive I NEVER listen to now). The cloud thing was always a hassle and seems sketchy (plus running out of storage is a b****).

I switched to Spotify about 6 months ago and am currently enjoying it more (plus you get Hulu & HBO for the price of one). Better playlists, better suggestions, better statistics, better mixes. One thing I don't like is that when I plug my phone into my car via USB it automatically opens my iTunes and plays the first song in my library. That is super annoying and it physically makes you switch to Spotify (might not be a problem for you without USB or an Iphone) plus it will eventually make you hate whatever the first song in the library is.

So from someone who's used both = Spotify > Apple

If you dont have an iPhone, i'd suggest using Spotify since you were aren't restricted to iTunes. ALSO, you will not be able to physically keep, save, or burn anything from Apple Music onto a CD or iPod. You will ONLY be able to stream songs. I'm pretty sure you cant plug your iPod into your computer and "slide a song over from iTunes into your portable iPod library from Apple Music" - (the good days) - hence why you need a newer IOS device.

Once again, I own Apple products and have had a hell of a time synchronizing them. I have not had a great experience.

Here are some other ideas that others haven't mentioned. YouTube Music - pretty sure its free or a one time payment and theres almost everything on YouTube, you can close the screen while listening, use other apps at the same time, etc. Downside is you'll constantly need data or WIFI (they might have a downloading option idk)

Soundcloud is free but its not meant for streaming albums. You can find playlists and individual songs but its usually a hassle to listen to collective albums. This is better for exploring new music/artists.

Here's what I do: listen to Spotify when I'm not home (or don't physically own a copy), YouTube for live versions or songs not on the platform, and vinyl whenever Im at home

Post-Hardcore: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52396
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2019 04:37
  • Post subject:
I ripped my CD collection and uploaded it to Google Music so I can have that where ever I go on my smart phone.

Otherwise I used Spotify. I've invested a decent amount of time into playlists, so I'm a little stuck here.

I remember having this problem when my iPod died in like 2010 and ended up just using my phone.

I will say I don't feel I've really solved the problem/happy with it, rather settled. But it works. Sometimes I get in sound quality wars with Google Music and Spotify. Sometimes I'll notice one sounds better with a certain track than the other, even though I'm a premium user in both. In the car AUX, Bluetooth, or on my computer... making sure I have the premium streaming setting set and it's not a A to A comparison like it really should if both services are streaming at the same rates, etc. I've heard Spotify uses it's own compression algorithm or something...idk. Apple Music does a treatment on the music as well I've heard. IDK - just passing on rumors and anecdotal experience (the best type of information, right?)

I'm a Prime member as well, but Prime always is the bottom of the barrel with movies and music for the streaming service, but usually top notch if you are willing to fork out the denari. If you have Prime you have their basic streaming service included. Then if you want anything more than the local library will give you (over-generalization), you gotta pay for their premium service.

I will say I'm glad I no longer have to manage my digital music because of Spotify/Google Music which is nice. If I buy a new device all I have to do is install the app and I'm done. Same for Google... I did the work like 8 years ago, so I'll never have to manage my physical music again... except for my vinyl, which a part of me feels dumb trying to fill the physical void by buying physical music again... there's something about the experience that makes it worth it... anyway I'm rambling.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2019 23:51
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
Those adapters...dunno, they don't look like they'd work. You say you have an 'aux' input, is that the 1/8" jack? If so, you can find a male-to-male 1/8" cable and run it straight from the iPod.

Aux, 1/8", and 3.5MM are all the same thing (at least I'm 99% sure they are). And yeah I have a male-to-male cable. So I probably don't need the adapter. The only downside is if a device is charging (whether it be iPod or USB charger), and has an aux cable coming out and into the car stereo at the same time, it can add an annoying buzzing noise to the music playing through the stereo. However I did a sound test yesterday with my phone and there was none of that buzzing.

I hope it stays that way, cause then I won't have to install anything or buy any new parts.

Which only leaves one thing left...picking a service.

sethmadsen wrote:
I ripped my CD collection and uploaded it to Google Music so I can have that where ever I go on my smart phone.

Wouldn't you still need wi-fi to prevent using a shit-ton of data? If not, how does that work?

elo, YouTube Music Premium looks promising in the future. It's $10/month and has the offline option, but they don't seem to have a standard bitrate across the board. But if it that changes and it can get bundled with another service, I'd def consider it in the future.

Anyway thank you all for the input. Based on what I've read here and my own research, I think Apple Music is out the question. It doesn't shock me to hear elo's story of Apple being a pain in the ass. Plus my smartphone isn't an iPhone and I can foresee the Apple Music app not working on it. Lastly, based on my research Apple Music's bitrate is lower than Spotify Premium and Deezer Premium.

So I'm def leaning towards those two. So far nobody's talked shit on Deezer. Unless anyone has something negative to say about it, or if seth can sell me on Google Music, or if anyone offers another option, I think a 30-day free trial to Deezer Premium is the direction I'm gonna take.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2019 02:50
  • Post subject:
Yeah - man, really the 30 day trial is where it's at. Only you really can make the decision.

As for streaming issues - you can upload it to their cloud, then download an album to your phone while on WiFi. This isn't unique to Google Music, you can do that with nearly any premium streaming service. But with Google Music you can do it without premium if it is your music. It really is a win win/worth doing in my opinion. You have a "cloud backup" of your physical music if heaven forbid something were to happen to it and then if you have an album not on any streaming service (it will happen), you can always go listen to it from Google Music. Really I just use it for my digital collection and then anything I haven't purchased, I still have Spotify. Another thing if you haven't seen it yet, is if you buy Vinyl or really any music from Amazon, they add it to "owned" music on the app. So that's a plus there, even if I'm not a fan of their app.

Not sure if anyone has talked about the user interface, but by far Spotify has the best user interface, imo.

I think the only issue I have with Deezer is it isn't American... and I totally don't mean that in a dumb way. I think it's French... studied German lit for my bachelor's, lived in Germany and Austria... totally don't have a problem with that it's not American. Why that matters is rights - Deezer likely has different rights to music than Spotify because it's across the pond. I don't have anything to vet this other than some experiences looking up music. On the other hand Deezer might have more rights to stuff we don't have rights to... this is total conjecture, but loose experiences suggest it.

Good luck mate.
  • Visit poster's website