13. King Crimson
    14. This Heat
    15. Led Zeppelin
    16. The Rolling Stones
    17. Husker Du
    18. Metallica
    19. The Butthole Surfers
    20. Ramones

Up for all sorts of debates and discussions.

P.S. still undecided on Sonic Youth and Neil Young since I haven't heard all of their music yet
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/27/2019 21:54
  • Post subject: Re: GOAT rock discographies
Amirkhosro wrote:
    1. The Velvet Underground
    2. Fugazi
    3. Can
    4. Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
    5. Pink Floyd
    6. Lou Reed
    7. Bob Dylan
    8. Pixies
    9. The Feelies
    10. Minutemen
    11. The Beatles
    12. The Stooges
    13. King Crimson
    14. This Heat
    15. Led Zeppelin
    16. The Rolling Stones
    17. Husker Du
    18. Metallica

Nice! I could get behind most of these. I would definitely add Tim Buckley (near the top), Pere Ubu, The Doors, Lisa Germano, Neil Young ...etc... but I hardly have any issues with most of what you have there.

EDIT: just noticed you mention Neil Young (along with Sonic Youth, also very deserving of consideration)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/28/2019 00:29
  • Post subject:
I'm like 50% happy with this, but this is my take.
It probably should be discography average scores or something... because even I don't agree they are the top artists.

My Top Rated Artists by sethmadsen
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/28/2019 01:03
  • Post subject:
I'd say any band that manages to produce what you'd refer to as over 2 great albums are doing well.

However you could also take into consideration the length of time of an artist's career; for instance have the Stones released anything noteworthy since Some Girls in the late seventies? Beach boys since Surf's Up in '71?

So with this in mind =:

Neil Young has to be up their for me; his run from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere through to Rust Never Sleeps is probably only surpassed by The Beatles. ( I think that's around 7 albums, so in terms of the numerical factor he's up there?)

Dylan - Freewheelin', Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks.

The Smiths - a perfect Discography bar the second half of Strangeways in my mind.

Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado, Face The Music, A New World Rceord, Out The Blue, Discovery, Time, Secret Messages and Balance Of Power all fantastic in my mind.

Simon & Garfunkel - a total of 5 albums released - 4 I'd consider brilliant. (Excluding their debut, despite its highs.)

Brian Eno, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Steve Reich, Miles Davis, Tallest Man On Earth all come to mind as well.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/28/2019 01:58
Amirkhosro wrote:
    1. The Velvet Underground
    2. Fugazi
    3. Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Lou Reed
    6. Can
    7. Bob Dylan
    8. Pixies
    9. The Feelies
    10. Minutemen
    11. The Beatles
    12. The Stooges
    13. King Crimson
    14. This Heat
    15. Led Zeppelin
    16. The Rolling Stones
    17. Husker Du
    18. Metallica
    19. The Butthole Surfers
    20. Ramones

P.S. still undecided on Sonic Youth and Neil Young since I haven't heard all of their music yet

Do you plan on discussing each?
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 01/28/2019 19:12
AfterHours wrote:

Nice! I could get behind most of these. I would definitely add Tim Buckley (near the top), Pere Ubu, The Doors, Lisa Germano, Neil Young ...etc... but I hardly have any issues with most of what you have there.

I like all of these! Let's see:

I think basically anything Pere Ubu from the early singles up to New Picnic Time qualifies as either classic or masterpiece. All that came after that sounds light and somewhat mediocre in comparison. I've tried a bunch of times to really get into, say, Ray Gun Suitcase or Tenement Year but that depth and creativity is just not there. There's still a bunch of cool songs to be found though. <i>Vacuum in My Head</i> is the craziest thing. As far as I remember you didn't rate their albums after Art of Walking either. Am I correct?

The Doors should be there somewhere. I totally forgot. Lisa Germano probably won't show up here because I don't think she has a single classic album. I don't hear that kind of all-time greatness. I'm totally open to changing my mind about her music though.

Tim Buckley is quite the talent. I'll find the time to revisit his music soon. Thanks for bringing him up.

I just noticed we both forgot about Nick Cave.
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 01/28/2019 19:28
sethmadsen wrote:
It probably should be discography average scores or something... because even I don't agree they are the top artists.

Would you place Nirvana at #1 or in the top 3?

sethmadsen wrote:
Do you plan on discussing each?

Yes. I don't have too much free time and I also tend to be lazy a lot of times, but this stuff is fun so I guess at least a very short paragraph will appear under each artist in the list sometime soon. Though tbh replying to specific comments seems easier

Last edited by Amirkhosro on 01/28/2019 20:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/28/2019 19:45
Amirkhosro wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

I like all of these! Let's see:

I think basically anything Pere Ubu from the early singles up to New Picnic Time qualifies as either classic or masterpiece. All that came after that sounds light and somewhat mediocre in comparison. I've tried a bunch of times to really get into, say, Ray Gun Suitcase or Tenement Year but that depth and creativity is just not there. There's still a bunch of cool songs to be found though. <i>Vacuum in My Head</i> is the craziest thing. As far as I remember you didn't rate their albums after Art of Walking either. Am I correct?

The Doors should be there somewhere. I totally forgot. Lisa Germano probably won't show up here because I don't think she has a single classic album. I don't hear that kind of all-time greatness. I'm totally open to changing my mind about her music though.

Tim Buckley is quite the talent. I'll find the time to revisit his music soon. Thanks for bringing him up.

I just noticed we both forgot about Nick Cave.

Re: Pere Ubu ... I agree that after that they never produced any masterpieces, though Tenemant Year would probably make a 7/10s list of such works for me. And maybe 1-2 others. So, yes (excepting David T solo) they dont show up any further on my "Greatest" (7.3+) list but should on a future "genre" list.

Re: Germano ... If you dont care about cultural status/widespread canonical hierarchy as a prerequisite for "classic" then Germano has a strong case for the greatest female singer-songwriter of all time. Very few Rock artists had an equal or greater run of albums than On The Way Down From Moon Palace (1991) through Slide (1998), Slush being the only one below historically extraordinary/amazing. She is the pinnacle of the confessional singer-songwriter (first epitomized by Joni Mitchell), now as a dejected female sacrificial lamb that has endured relationship trauma and harrowing trials and tribulations, and now painfully summons them through her albums/diaries in an effort to understand herself, her choices, loved ones and her persecutors, in nightmares, condemnations, grievances, utter devastation, and occasional black comedy and glimpses at a meek (mostly false) hope of happiness.

Yes! Nick Cave! There are several we havent mentioned - he may be the best of the lot!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2019 01:08
Amirkhosro wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Would you place Nirvana at #1 or in the top 3?

Yes. I don't have too much free time and I also tend to be lazy a lot of times, but this stuff is fun so I guess at least a very short paragraph will appear under each artist in the list sometime soon. Though tbh replying to specific comments seems easier

Yup - a well thought out idea usually isn't good after a long day.

I think Nirvana is only so high up because they have such a small discography and for me, their albums are all solid. Had they stuck around just for another 3 albums I'm sure that would have changed... maybe not. I think what's key is they don't have a crap album to mess with the average.

As for top artists/musicians, maybe top 10, maybe top 20. I don't think they were the greatest artist ever, if such a thing can exist. And as to the bigger question, I think they rival The Doors in emotional/artistic expression, but don't have any crap albums like The Doors do. Conceptually they have room to grow, but neither are they just the "teenage angst" everyone who hasn't really listened to their music paints them as.

I think I'd love to hear more about The Velvet Underground. Are you counting Squeeze as part of their discography and if so, what's your take on it?
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 01/29/2019 18:37
  • Post subject:
NowhereMan wrote:
I'd say any band that manages to produce what you'd refer to as over 2 great albums are doing well.

However you could also take into consideration the length of time of an artist's career; for instance have the Stones released anything noteworthy since Some Girls in the late seventies? Beach boys since Surf's Up in '71?

So with this in mind =:

Neil Young has to be up their for me; his run from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere through to Rust Never Sleeps is probably only surpassed by The Beatles. ( I think that's around 7 albums, so in terms of the numerical factor he's up there?)

Dylan - Freewheelin', Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks.

The Smiths - a perfect Discography bar the second half of Strangeways in my mind.

Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado, Face The Music, A New World Rceord, Out The Blue, Discovery, Time, Secret Messages and Balance Of Power all fantastic in my mind.

Simon & Garfunkel - a total of 5 albums released - 4 I'd consider brilliant. (Excluding their debut, despite its highs.)

Brian Eno, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Steve Reich, Miles Davis, Tallest Man On Earth all come to mind as well.

The Stones definitely would've been placed higher if a huge chunk of their discography wasn't so mediocre. Still there's that other huge chunk of discography filled with all sorts of greatness so ... Such a great band.

I'm not a huge fan of classic prog per se, so would you please suggest a specific ELO album?

Brian Eno's early run is legendary. Don't know about most of the rest though Discreet Music is a masterpiece and Music For Airports has one of the most uniquely calm and eerie vibes ever.

I used to love The Queen is Dead and a few tracks from the debut and specially Hatful of Hollow (How Soon Is Now is an all-timer) way back in the 00's. Somewhere along the way I got deep into punk and started ignoring the Smith because I thought they're "soft" or something. Gotta listen to them again though. Does Meat Is Murder equal the other two for you ? I haven't heard that one but always been intrigued to know what it is.

About Miles, if this list wasn't limited to rock music, he would've topped everybody on here.
  • Visit poster's website