Best Films of 2018 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 21:34
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Damn, some of y'all watch a LOT of movies! Shocked When do you have time to listen to music? Wink
Do y'all get out much? Play ball, ride a bike, fish, get any exercise?

I listen to music when I play ball, ride a bike, fish and get any exercise. I watch movies at night.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 21:40
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Damn, some of y'all watch a LOT of movies! Shocked When do you have time to listen to music? Wink
Do y'all get out much? Play ball, ride a bike, fish, get any exercise?

I listen to music when I play ball, ride a bike, fish and get any exercise. I watch movies at night.

Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 22:39
  • Post subject:
jnfbn wrote:
(if especially you live in turkey like me and now what is all about him)

Do you mean something like "if you live in Turkey like me and know what he's all about?" Don't mean to sound like I'm correcting you, I'm just interested in what you're saying. What is Ceylan's reputation in Turkey?
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 03/04/2019 06:37
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Do you mean something like "if you live in Turkey like me and know what he's all about?" Don't mean to sound like I'm correcting you, I'm just interested in what you're saying. What is Ceylan's reputation in Turkey?

Yess, there's been a typo and thank you for poiting out

About Ceylan, he's known as the foremost director of ''New Turkey Cinema'' and he's the dearest of the ''intelligentsia'', although he's a brilliant filmmaker, i have a problem with his writing, its like the isolated writer that lives in a castle upon the hill but writes about the everyday life of the common people.It feels synthetic from time to time. And he has always been like that, his early films or Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (which almost all film critics or anyone into Turkish cinema in Turkey agrees that is one of the greatest films ever made in this country) but in those, he achieved to make us go into the story not fall short on the surface. His last to, Winter Sleep and The Wild Pear Tree (especially) falls flat. Some people sees this, some not, for Ceylan is labeled as ''our international success''. Another thing is his insensitivity on some issues, he never touches politics directly (in his life and in his films) and we're living in a politically chaotic country. He has never spoken about another thing apart his works. For instance; last month the cinema industry was in chaos with a big fight with the major distributors over the ticket shares (distributors, as always, has been exploiting and abusing the system) he said nothing about that but later on the government sort of ''fixed'' that with a law that includes overcensoring anything that goes into theaters and he said nothing about that too, if im not wrong he has never said nothing about anything and we have some big issues, cinematically too. But not many bashes him about that or call him on the carpet, instead we give him every award possible (last week he's won best director and best picture for a millionth time at our most ongoing major film award)

Sorry for the long post, and overuse of the word ''intellectual'' but its a term in this country that you can hear a lot and is enough to polarize people.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 22:59
  • Post subject:
Thanks for your insight! I've only seen Distant and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. The style in Distant reminded me of some contemporary Asian directors like Jia Zhangke and Hou Hsiao-Hsien. Liked it a fair amount. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia seemed more original to me, liked it a lot. My only major problem with it is the end section that takes place the following morning is rendered in a very different style, almost as if it was from a different movie, and that inconsistency didn't really work for me. Haven't seen any other Turkish films.

The length of The Wild Pear Tree and hearing that it's slow was a deterrent to me seeing it.

Do Turkish directors have to get any kind of approval from the government to make films or is there any censorship?
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 03/05/2019 06:04
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Thanks for your insight! I've only seen Distant and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. The style in Distant reminded me of some contemporary Asian directors like Jia Zhangke and Hou Hsiao-Hsien. Liked it a fair amount. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia seemed more original to me, liked it a lot. My only major problem with it is the end section that takes place the following morning is rendered in a very different style, almost as if it was from a different movie, and that inconsistency didn't really work for me. Haven't seen any other Turkish films.

The length of The Wild Pear Tree and hearing that it's slow was a deterrent to me seeing it.

Do Turkish directors have to get any kind of approval from the government to make films or is there any censorship?

I feel the same way about Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, it would've been better if we didn't see the next morning at all, bu it's a great film, his best. And Ceylan is very into Asian cinema and a great admirer of Russian cinema and theater, big fan of Tarkovsky and Chekhov.

Turkish directors didn't need a direct approval from an institution until last month like i said, with the new ''law'' we now will have a commission that will oversee every single thing that will be on theaters. But before this, of course the government could use censorship or prevent big audiences from seeing a film with defamation.

Another thing is that the biggest financier for independent films in Turkey is the Ministry of Culture, that might seem as a good thing and it was! They financed a lot great films (including every film Ceylan has ever directed, so maybe the answer lays down here) but for the last couple of years that institution decayed along with the government itself.

And the worst is auto-censorship, some directors change their films in order to get the support from the ministry or go like ''i could get into trouble for that. (You may have heard that last year Sony Pictures supplied a censored version of Blade Runner 2049, nude replicants!) But of course we have some decent filmmakers that says it all and small but determined community that fights against
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2019 09:17
  • Post subject:
jnfbn wrote:
Ceylan is very into Asian cinema and a great admirer of Russian cinema and theater, big fan of Tarkovsky and Chekhov.

Tarkovsky seems like THE touchstone of contemporary art film directors.

Quote:
Turkish directors didn't need a direct approval from an institution until last month like i said, with the new ''law'' we now will have a commission that will oversee every single thing that will be on theaters. But before this, of course the government could use censorship or prevent big audiences from seeing a film with defamation.

Another thing is that the biggest financier for independent films in Turkey is the Ministry of Culture, that might seem as a good thing and it was! They financed a lot great films (including every film Ceylan has ever directed, so maybe the answer lays down here) but for the last couple of years that institution decayed along with the government itself.

And the worst is auto-censorship, some directors change their films in order to get the support from the ministry or go like ''i could get into trouble for that. (You may have heard that last year Sony Pictures supplied a censored version of Blade Runner 2049, nude replicants!) But of course we have some decent filmmakers that says it all and small but determined community that fights against

Yeah, I had Ceylan in mind when I asked about censorship. Sounds like he may be auto-censoring himself a little bit, in life if not in his films, not wanting make waves in his public appearances.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/05/2019 16:54
  • Post subject:
^ will reply to all that interesting stuff in a sec

Just want to update that the deadline will remain March 29th.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/07/2019 08:12
  • Post subject:
https://letterboxd.com/ciaranpitts/film/knife-heart/

Technically a 2018 film. Coming to US Theaters March 15th, might effect my list. Might not.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2019 15:56
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
https://letterboxd.com/ciaranpitts/film/knife-heart/

Technically a 2018 film. Coming to US Theaters March 15th, might effect my list. Might not.

Link

Knife + Heart is allowed for sure, no worries.

I personally wasn't too big on it, but I can tell it's the sort of film that if you like it, you'll love it.
  • Visit poster's website