Best Films of 2018 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/01/2019 18:10
  • Post subject: Best Films of 2018 [Poll][Dead]

Phew. Well, that's a year. 2019 films are coming around the bend, and I figure it's just about time to put a wrap on 2018. I'm starting the poll early to entice recommendations and give people enough time to do a quick round-up if need be. We'll be here 2 months Smile

Remember Horatio? The fastest duck in the land? If not, you need to catch up. Or that time Lady Gaga went oooooAAAooooAAa oooooooAAAAooooAhh OOOOOOOOAAAAA and everybody was like 'yeah'. Good times. Or troll sex. 2018 definitely had troll sex. Hydro poles. Horse pills. LSD neon dance party.

Here's a thread where we can discuss/rec our favourite films and performances of the year, hopefully dishing out a couple recs to anyone who wants them. Was that film overrated? Underappreciated? Disappointing? Etc... Was anything better than Bojack in 2018? Is Bohemian Rhapsody the most divisive film of the decade? Does it feel like we're stuffing amazing performances into bad films? Discuss.

SUBCATAGORIES:

5 Best Male Performances
&
5 Best Female Performances
&
Most Underrated Film

Which you may submit up to 10 each, but the final acting lists will be the top 5. The underrated films list will be the top 3.

The gist/ rules:

BEA's composes a list of our 50 favourite films of 2018.

All lists will be PMed to me or posted in this thread, maxing out at 50. The final list will be 50 films. I'll be accepting lists of any denotation up to 50. The size of your list determines its weight. Films must be longer than 40 minutes. Films must have an international premiere date between January 1st 2018 and December 31st 2018.

Documentaries are allowed.

Lists will also be accepted in IMDb and Letterboxd format. Deadline will be March 29th.

Releases that are allowed:
First Reformed
The Tale
The Other Side Of The Wind
24 Frames
Zama
The Wife
The Rider

Releases that are not allowed:
Sharp Objects
Maniac
Patrick Melrose
I Am Not A Witch
A Very English Scandal
Paddington 2

Under consideration:
Nanette
You Were Never Really Here
Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

If you have an argument for anything above, go ahead, and if anything else is under unclear consideration, mention it.

Last edited by Hayden on 03/30/2019 14:07; edited 6 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2019 19:01
  • Post subject:
Nice. Still got some work to do, so to not even confuse myself I'm not making a list yet. Roma is my clear frontrunner from what I've seen. After that I have quite a few movies at 4 out of 5 stars so sorting them will be fun as always.

A guy in the horror group I'm in hooked me up with a digital copy of Suspiria, so that's next on my watchlist.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2019 19:37
  • Post subject:
Nanette is not a movie. It's a comedy special. Different art form. If that's allowed, why not Chris Rock's Tambourine while we're at it?

You Were Never Really Here was a 2017 festival film that didn't get a theatrical release until 2018. I recall some folks were able to watch it in time for the 2017 poll, but most of us (including myself) weren't. And it doesn't seem fair that YWNRH can't be eligible for this. First Reformed, Prayer Before Dawn, Revenge, and several others were also released only in festivals in 2017, but not in theaters until 2018. They shouldn't be ineligible either.

Bottom line: If Nanette is allowed and You Were Never Really Here isn't, count me out.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/01/2019 19:52
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Nanette is not a movie. It's a comedy special. Different art form. If that's allowed, why not Chris Rock's Tambourine while we're at it?

First Reformed [...] They shouldn't be ineligible either.

Bottom line: If Nanette is allowed and You Were Never Really Here isn't, count me out.

I figured First Reformed would be allowed (I've posted that it is). It didn't even have a limited release until May.

Nanette is not a movie, nor are any comedy specials... I figured I'd have a hard sell saying documentaries are allowed but comedy isn't Think If the consensus is to not allow it, I'm cool with that, I just figured there would be a backlash if I had it the other way around.

The primary reason I'm not allowing You Were Never Really Here is because it landed on our 2017 list... likewise with Paddington 2. I get that they had a later release in the US, but still. Being said, if the general consensus is to allow them, I'm not going to put up much of a fight.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2019 18:57
  • Post subject:
I think you can you can make an argument for You Were Never Really Here. Unlike Paddington 2, You Were Never Really Here didn't make it to the US until after the list deadline, whereas Paddington 2 was in theaters in January, so people in the US had the ability to watch it.
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2019 18:58
  • Post subject:
Also will these titles be allowed:
The Death of Stalin
Chappaquidick
The Party
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2019 21:08
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Also will these titles be allowed:
Chappaquidick

I'm cool with this one, but The Party and The Death of Stalin are def 2017 releases. I think The Death of Stalin was only a few points away from making our 2017 list.

Quote:
I think you can you can make an argument for You Were Never Really Here. Unlike Paddington 2, You Were Never Really Here didn't make it to the US until after the list deadline, whereas Paddington 2 was in theaters in January, so people in the US had the ability to watch it.

Yeah, the UK/US release schedules make this a pain Brick wall

Maybe I'll just let people decide on whether or not they want to include You Were Never Really Here... like, I enjoy it quite a bit anyway, so I don't mind, it's just that throwing down a line is difficult.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2019 01:43
  • Post subject:
Yeah dude, You Were Never Really Here should definitely be allowed. I recall having this exact discussion about that film on the 2017 list, and I thought we all agreed it would be eligible. It wouldn't be the first time a film made our list two years in a row. In fact it would be like the third or fourth.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2019 02:59
  • Post subject:
I vaguely recall that conversation too. Seems like we have this conversation every year, haha. I'm of the opinion if a movie has a multiple releases in festivals and different countries spanning two calendar years, then it should be eligible for both years. Paddington 2, First Reformed, Revenge, YWNRH, Prayer Before Dawn, Thoroughbreds, Chappaquidick, The Party, Death of Stalin, The Wife, among others...they should all be eligible imo. No need to draw a line in the sand. And it makes it easy. As long as it had an official release somewhere of some kind in the calendar year, it'd be fine with me (and it should go without saying that it also has to be a movie and not a comedy special).

It's okay to disagree. I just find this easier. But if the consensus is to discuss each title and make some eligible and others not, have at it. Or if Hayden just wants to lay down the law, I'm fine with that too. But I'm def putting YWNRH, First Reformed, and Thoroughbreds on my list.

I'd like to think this won't be an issue in a couple years if we do a Best of the 2010s poll.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/04/2019 03:14
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I'd like to think this won't be an issue in a couple years if we do a Best of the 2010s poll.

Straight up, that's next year Laughing Can't believe we're getting decade lists in a couple months.

And maybe we'll just go with no TV specials or episodic releases... and just... try to be 2018 as possible.

But yeah, no rush really. Hoping people post their recs for the meantime. I'll have some up soon.
  • Visit poster's website