back to the future: buying CD's again...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: CD's in 2019...yay or nay?
yes back to the future! I prefer them over online/MP3
52%
 52%  [18]
no i'm brand new, you're retro! I prefer convenience & can't hear/don't mind/disagree with quality differences
23%
 23%  [8]
being a hipster's cool (I prefer vinyl)
23%
 23%  [8]
Total Votes : 34

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2019 18:39
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

As for the 'ritualistic' side of things, it's true that getting off one's arse to stick a record on or a CD in a tray requires more effort than pressing a couple of icons on a touchscreen, but if you want to listen to an album from start to finish how it's consumed shouldn't really matter. The only difference I can see is that with a physical format you could flop on your beanbag, read the sleeve notes or whatever, and get swallowed up in the experience. But who's to say that you couldn't do something similar (i.e. check out reviews, Wikipedia entries, etc.) when streaming something off your phone.

Agreed. I do find myself sometimes getting so immersed in the Wikipedia articles and the such that sometimes I have to start a track over or I find myself halfway through an album before I realize I'm halfway through the album but only really heard one song... haha. Not disagreeing with you, just sharing my experience in the digital world.

Somehow physical music "forces" me to focus a bit better... but no, if I plug my phone into my bose system or my record player, and really submerse myself into the music by turning off the lights and blaring it, it rarely matters what format it is in. There's quality hits you suffer in almost all forms (physical stuff can get marked up, especially used stuff, and digital has it's issues too).

I will say since I got a new record player, it seems too perfect of a sound... it somehow lost the warmth of the 80s Sony I had but sadly died.

Jimmy Dread wrote:

No, the issue for me is that with streaming/digital media there is far too much temptation to flip before the album's done with, i.e. listen to something else to interrupt the flow. It's like having the TV remote in your hand - the urge to hop about is too tempting, especially when streaming services churn up a load of recommendations for you to check out based on your current listening choice. That said, streaming is great for discovering new things, and without it (and sites like this) my record collection wouldn't be anywhere near the size it is. But if I love it enough I have to own it - maybe a generational thing, I dunno.

Indeed.

Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2019 18:51
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Surely a lot of the 'audio quality' part of this debate would rest on what equipment you're playing your stuff on. A crappy 128kbps mp3 is not going to sound anywhere near as good as a FLAC file, which I'd imagine given the right set-up would easily rival CD quality.

they can also surpass cd quality's 44.1 khz limitations.

I buy cd's sometimes but I mostly buy digital because I don't really care about physical objects, I just want to listen to music. and it's so easy to listen to the whole thing, like you just put it on and then do that.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2019 18:56
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
they can also surpass cd quality's 44.1 khz limitations.

I buy cd's sometimes but I mostly buy digital because I don't really care about physical objects, I just want to listen to music. and it's so easy to listen to the whole thing, like you just put it on and then do that.

Yeah - it's always cool to get a FLAC download when you buy some vinyl or the such because FLAC rip of a CD likely won't have that unless it's one of those super CD's or whatever they were called for like 10 seconds. Then again there's digital masters for CD which FLAC's and vinyl often just use, so the quality really isn't any different from the source, but like Jimmy originally said, the output is equally important to the equation.
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 02/11/2019 19:25
  • Post subject:
I don't have any preferences whether it's tape, CD, vinyl, torrent, stream.. I can understand the fetish for vinyl though, the artwork looks a hell of a lot better than anywhere else and you're invested in the whole product and showing that you're passionate about it. Props to anyone who collects vinyl(s) without feeling a bit kinky Wink
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/11/2019 19:34
  • Post subject:
we should buy cassettes again. It's been proven that they last longer than CDs or hard drives
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2019 00:28
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
we should buy cassettes again. It's been proven that they last longer than CDs or hard drives

Is this really true? Do you have a source? I remember tapes breaking all the time.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2019 02:29
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
I think the importance of having a collection, especially for those of my age, can't be understated. The first thing I remember doing when I was a student to suss someone out was to flick through what records or CDs they owned. It was almost like a window into their soul, or little signposts in their life and the experiences they'd had along the way. I could probably tell you where I bought every single one of my records from, and there's nothing more satisfying than showing off your collection to like-minded music nerds.

I kinda get that feeling when looking at people's playlists on Spotify since I am quite literally the only person at my med school that collects any kind of physical copy of music. Granted, there are no other music nerds at my med school as no one really goes beyond the Spotify Top 50 or Discover Weekly for new music so when people look at my stuff they are almost immediately confused.
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/12/2019 07:47
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Is this really true? Do you have a source? I remember tapes breaking all the time.

Yes, the magnetic strip can be entangled, but the strip in itself has a good duration.
I have a article in french (in which there's a video in english) (https://www.cnetfrance.fr/produits/pourquoi-vos-cd-et-dvd-vont-devenir-inutilisables-et-c omment-conserver-vos-donnees-39848960.htm) and I'll find one in english
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 02/12/2019 23:50
  • Post subject:
I love CDs because they have the better sound and are smaller compared to a record which makes it the perfect thing to ask the singers to sign for you should you ever get to meet them. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2019 02:32
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Yes, the magnetic strip can be entangled, but the strip in itself has a good duration.
I have a article in french (in which there's a video in english) (https://www.cnetfrance.fr/produits/pourquoi-vos-cd-et-dvd-vont-devenir-inutilisables-et-c omment-conserver-vos-donnees-39848960.htm) and I'll find one in english

Well, and I'm sure being stuck in a 150 degree car all summer long doesn't help either... hehe. (I used to live in the desert).
  • Visit poster's website