back to the future: buying CD's again...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: CD's in 2019...yay or nay?
yes back to the future! I prefer them over online/MP3
52%
 52%  [18]
no i'm brand new, you're retro! I prefer convenience & can't hear/don't mind/disagree with quality differences
23%
 23%  [8]
being a hipster's cool (I prefer vinyl)
23%
 23%  [8]
Total Votes : 34

dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 13:36
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
they can also surpass cd quality's 44.1 khz limitations.

I buy cd's sometimes but I mostly buy digital because I don't really care about physical objects, I just want to listen to music. and it's so easy to listen to the whole thing, like you just put it on and then do that.

the human ear can't appreciate better than uncompressed 44.1khz. higher sample rates are useful for producers: micro-editing, correcting, downsampling etc but for pure listening there's no real benefits.
  • Visit poster's website
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 02/14/2019 13:44
  • Post subject:
dholl wrote:
iwonder how long the laser-reading tech of CD players will last? anyone still using their 90's CD players?

I am using an 80s philips CD player and it still works perfectly well.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 13:53
  • Post subject:
joyofdivision wrote:
I don't have any preferences whether it's tape, CD, vinyl, torrent, stream.. I can understand the fetish for vinyl though, the artwork looks a hell of a lot better than anywhere else and you're invested in the whole product and showing that you're passionate about it. Props to anyone who collects vinyl(s) without feeling a bit kinky Wink

good point about the artwork, it really does look best on vinyl format.
  • Visit poster's website
dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 13:56
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Tap wrote:
they can also surpass cd quality's 44.1 khz limitations.

I buy cd's sometimes but I mostly buy digital because I don't really care about physical objects, I just want to listen to music. and it's so easy to listen to the whole thing, like you just put it on and then do that.

Yeah - it's always cool to get a FLAC download when you buy some vinyl or the such because FLAC rip of a CD likely won't have that unless it's one of those super CD's or whatever they were called for like 10 seconds. Then again there's digital masters for CD which FLAC's and vinyl often just use, so the quality really isn't any different from the source, but like Jimmy originally said, the output is equally important to the equation.

aye, also agree the output is important. personally i like using neutral studio monitors with 8" woofers to listen to favourite musik (not coloured by extra bass or EQ but still meaty enough).
  • Visit poster's website
dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 14:01
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
we should buy cassettes again. It's been proven that they last longer than CDs or hard drives

i don't miss tapes but did enjoy taping the top 40 radio charts as a kid in the late-80's & early-90's, then chopping out the best songs (minus the irritating DJ-voice) onto a second tape to make a kind of 'favourite songs' personal playlist. as laborious as that sounds it was a fun & involving way to discover musik (and also learn a little about tech).
  • Visit poster's website
dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 14:03
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
I kinda get that feeling when looking at people's playlists on Spotify since I am quite literally the only person at my med school that collects any kind of physical copy of music. Granted, there are no other music nerds at my med school as no one really goes beyond the Spotify Top 50 or Discover Weekly for new music so when people look at my stuff they are almost immediately confused.

yeah, i suppose most people are like that even in earlier decades: people who were happy with just whatever the radio decided to play. and that's fine too Cool
  • Visit poster's website
dholl

• Posted: 02/14/2019 14:04
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
I love CDs because they have the better sound and are smaller compared to a record which makes it the perfect thing to ask the singers to sign for you should you ever get to meet them. Smile Smile Smile

haha indeed...no one can sign a digital file (well, they can but you'll only see it on the computer screen when you open file properties and that's just a little...soulless).
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2019 14:27
  • Post subject:
I've never counted my collection of CDs but I'd bet I'd have about 200-300 and I add to it regularly. I have 3 racks that are almost completely full. I enjoy collecting vinyl as well but save that for the stuff I really like because its not odd to pay 3 times as much for a record on vinyl, plus my turntable is pretty bad and I don't really have enough space in my house to get a good one. For those reasons collecting CDs are easier. They're smaller, they take up less space. I take some pride in being able to support artists I like.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/14/2019 19:13
  • Post subject:
guzguzgarbit wrote:
I am using an 80s philips CD player and it still works perfectly well.

Phillips was a hell of good brand way back when.
  • Visit poster's website
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/14/2019 20:15
  • Post subject:
Never stopped buying CDs, and I'm too much of a purist to change and have my collection split between different formats.

It's really irritating when new albums are released only as downloads or on vinyl, or the CD releases are massively delayed.

No issues of deterioration for me either. I've bought numerous second-hand CDs from the early 80s (mostly Japanese) and they still play or rip fine.

It is more convenient to have my CD collection ripped to my laptop at relatively high quality (320), but it's also nice to peruse my physical collection in my purpose-built bookcase with glass doors when I'm at home. And I can always rip stuff again at a higher quality in the future...