back to the future: buying CD's again...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: CD's in 2019...yay or nay?
yes back to the future! I prefer them over online/MP3
52%
 52%  [18]
no i'm brand new, you're retro! I prefer convenience & can't hear/don't mind/disagree with quality differences
23%
 23%  [8]
being a hipster's cool (I prefer vinyl)
23%
 23%  [8]
Total Votes : 34

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2019 03:12
  • Post subject:
Wow, I'll be honest, didn't think so many preferred CD still. Nothing wrong with any choice really, so long as you love it and enjoy it and get the most out of it.

Again, I'm looking at a $100 gift card from my work as a bonus to spend at Amazon and I'm thinking vinyl, but a lot of the classical releases seem slightly bogus (odd pressings not from original) or really expensive album era releases. And if I would just buy the CD, that'd be anywhere between 10 to 50 albums I could buy if I had a nice CD player setup. I suppose I could rip and then put into my phone or something.

My main reason for ditching CD's was managing them - too much space. And then ripping them right and the such. Often the premium stream is enough, but of the 30% of the time when it sounds like garbage, I really want a better solution, especially of the records I love.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2019 03:22
  • Post subject:
dholl wrote:

baystateoftheart wrote:
Digital music is best at one thing, and vinyl is best at another. CDs are an unsatisfying compromise.

what are vinyls best at? taking up space?

Being a keepsake. Having value as a collectible. Making listening to an album feel like more of an experience. Having a warmer sound. There's a certain mystique and you don't have to be a hipster to acknowledge that.

I've never collected vinyl but I might start someday.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2019 03:31
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
dholl wrote:

what are vinyls best at? taking up space?

Being a keepsake. Having value as a collectible. Making listening to an album feel like more of an experience. Having a warmer sound. There's a certain mystique and you don't have to be a hipster to acknowledge that.

I've never collected vinyl but I might start someday.

Ever since I was a kid I've always thought it fun that you can turn off the amp, but let the record play and just listen to the needle vibrate. In a similar fashion I've been fascinated with the grooves you can see and with a high dynamic range song, it's really cool.

What I will caution anyone getting into vinyl with, is the maintenance. Dust is just something you have to constantly worry about it seems.

CD's have been hit and miss in this arena too. I've had "poorly" imaged CD's that start deteriorating (along with some that are coming on 30 years old which sound great still).

For both of them, my biggest frustration is me having butterfingers and ruining them.

For the future... I'd love something that is a master of the absolute best version of something that's ever been (sometimes the remaster is better and sometimes it's worse... some things breathe better on vinyl and sometimes the response of digital is indeed better) that then has some kind of visual thing along with it - whether it is a music video per song or something like a short written to go along with the album... idk... some kind of visual to go along with the music.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2019 07:56
  • Post subject:
dholl wrote:
Tap wrote:
they can also surpass cd quality's 44.1 khz limitations.

I buy cd's sometimes but I mostly buy digital because I don't really care about physical objects, I just want to listen to music. and it's so easy to listen to the whole thing, like you just put it on and then do that.

the human ear can't appreciate better than uncompressed 44.1khz. higher sample rates are useful for producers: micro-editing, correcting, downsampling etc but for pure listening there's no real benefits.

I mean yeah it's probably the bit depth increase that really makes the difference for music with high dynamic range so you can turn it up with less distortion, but that would probably only make a difference on an extremely audiophile setup. still figured it was worth mentioning that FLAC is at the very least not going to be different from CD, and it just becomes a matter of DACs and headphone preamps and other things.

but also the next time I move I'm not gonna be like "fuck Im gonna have to get so many boxes for all of these FLACs"
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 03:10
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:

but also the next time I move I'm not gonna be like "fuck Im gonna have to get so many boxes for all of these FLACs"

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 03:26
  • Post subject:
My entire collection is on CD. I've never had one go bad on me. Not one. It's just like vinyl...if you take care of your shit, it should last you pretty much forever.

Mine are on CD for one reason. I had a large vinyl collection that was stolen. I had a decent sized collection of cassettes that were falling apart faster than I could buy more. CD's? I gave it a shot, and CD's have never once let me down. Good sound quality, and a fantastic amount of old music was released when CD's became the thing. I like them. I preferred the size of the LP's (bigger album art), but they take up a fuck of a lot of room. And albums now...I see prices that artists SHOULD be screaming to high heaven about. We could sure use Tom Petty about now to keep the prices reasonable.

But in the end, it's all about what works for you. Personally, (and this is just me)...I don't like the digital music because (1) it doesn't sound as good, and (2) it seems to me to be way too...disposable. Today, you can stream something, and if you don't like it, you can just pass. You can download way too much music for free (I do not believe that ANYONE should give away their art for free...but again...that's me), and you can add a gazillion albums to your "collection" with pretty much little to no personal investment. I guess I'm old school...I believe that if you are going to call something yours, you should have a physical copy of it. I understand that a lot of people do not feel that way, and that's okay. But that's what works for me.

CD's? Buy them. At the very least, buy your downloads directly from the artist. Support the people who make the music that you love. But remember that artists don't make shit from downloads. See the ones you can live and buy CD's or vinyl or cassettes from their merch table. You can't do that with everyone, obviously...but do so when you can. It's like a good book...it's always better when you can hold it in your hand.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 03:50
  • Post subject:
One logical fallacy I had with my CD's is I would almost always buy them used, so my money never went to the artist anyway Sad.

Otherwise great stuff Romanelli.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:05
  • Post subject:
Actually, it's good that a wide variety of music is now easily available at little to no cost, because it allows low-income people to participate in listening to music as a hobby. But yeah if you have the means, I endorse paying for music as much as possible.

Also I heard that if you want to support artists, the best way is to buy concert tickets, as they get a much bigger share from those.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:11
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Also I heard that if you want to support artists, the best way is to buy concert tickets, as they get a much bigger share from those.

but if you love recordings of music then the recording and mastering engineers and other behind the scenes folks and sometimes even the label will all need your support for that to continue being a thing that happens.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:27
  • Post subject:
True stories.

I think Dave Grohl said something like, I don't care if you steal my music so long as you come to my show. It's easy for him because he like is a one man band as far as the record company, etc. goes. Some of those mastering joints get paid a single fee, so they actually don't care if it is bought 10 times or a million.
  • Visit poster's website