Thanks mate - look forward to those.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:36
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
I'm not really an album guy when it comes to classical music and I tend to lean towards "the older the better". In both cases I think it has partly to do towards recording techniques of modern day. Giving a classical musician complete control over the outcome of a performance, through the ability to pretty much edit every single note to his liking in hindsight, often leads to a sterilization of the music. There are of course exceptions, but on the whole that is my impression.
Whereas in older days, let's say pre WW2 they did one take, or maybe a few, picked the best one and that was it. Basically a recorded live performance, with all it's little imperfections. What older recordings lack in sound quality they more than make up in creative expression. The notion of perfection which has become an obsession above all in much of today's classical music world is an unfortunate one in my view.

This is actually spot on. I know a music teacher that reminds his students of this... often what you hear on the recording is not reality... that perfect intonation, etc. is only possible through perfected recordings. Now having said this, that's probably more true now than it was in even the 80s. Now there are multi-channel decoders that can truly chase down the frequency and edit a live recording (I just made up the terminology there, but the concept is true... I met a dude that did his doctorate on it at the Frauenhofer Instititue). Anyway, it's true in rock music too. You can always tell the "real" musicians record in a way that allows the imperfections to breath and don't use replacement stuffs.

Having said all this and agreeing with you, there are masterful new performances that also take advantage of better recording technology, and if you can get the best of both worlds, it seems to make a difference - at least to me.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:40
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:

Link

Albert Coates was famous for his brisk tempi and I think it works very well here

Link

There are recordings of not one but two pianists who actually studied the Greig piano concerto with the composer himself. They are Percy Grainger (more famous as a composer but an outstanding pianist in his prime) and Arthur de Greef (who also studied with Liszt and Saint-Saens).

Link

I saw that you menitoned Winterreise as a contender and I would actually probably put it as no 1 if I would ever attempt a list of favourite compositions. Which is why I was very excited to find the first recording ever made of the entire cycle. Well, I have to say that the singer here is by any standards sub par, such a disappointment. However, it's saving grace is the pianist, the mysterious Mme Orthmann, who blows any other pianist out of the water on these particular pieces that I've heard at least. What phrasings, what rythmic vitality!

Now I'd like to add a few recordings I enjoy, again just from the top of my head

Link

Link

(Yes, THE Richard Strauss)

Link

I am a piano geek, so when it comes to solo piano pieces there's TONS of stuff I could post here. but I don't wish to clutter up your thread any more than I already have.

These are fantastic recordings actually. I was talking more about some muffled ones that I don't care for because they lose some fidelity of the music itself. But these seem to actually be just as good as conveying the music (if not better for reasons we discussed) than any modern recording that do at times indeed seem to suffer from stagnation of energy.

Would you like to participate in the competition and list these out as weighted votes (#1 getting a higher weight).

Also please share as much as you'd like - this is for any and all to share what they love about classical music.

RE: Winterreise, actually, I like that the singer is sub-par in that recording... it brings it to life somehow. More believable if that makes any sense. But yes, the flow of the pianist is so smooth and delightful.
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 02/19/2019 12:31
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
there are masterful new performances that also take advantage of better recording technology, and if you can get the best of both worlds, it seems to make a difference - at least to me.

Yes don't get me wrong, there's plenty of more recent stuff worth listening to, especially for pre romantic music. The Historically Informed Perfomance movement have really done a great job at restoring some long lost values to classical music in terms not only of instrumentation, but of articulation, phrasing and improvisation etc.

Quote:
These are fantastic recordings actually. I was talking more about some muffled ones that I don't care for because they lose some fidelity of the music itself. But these seem to actually be just as good as conveying the music (if not better for reasons we discussed) than any modern recording that do at times indeed seem to suffer from stagnation of energy.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to what I posted and I'm glad you enjoyed them Smile

Quote:
Would you like to participate in the competition and list these out as weighted votes (#1 getting a higher weight).

I'm not sure I'd be able to do such a thing as making a top 10 of my favourite classical music albums.. Would it be acceptable to list my top ten favourite piano pieces and their corresponding favourite performance? If not I might do it anyway haha
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2019 23:50
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Yes don't get me wrong, there's plenty of more recent stuff worth listening to, especially for pre romantic music. The Historically Informed Perfomance movement have really done a great job at restoring some long lost values to classical music in terms not only of instrumentation, but of articulation, phrasing and improvisation etc.

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to listen to what I posted and I'm glad you enjoyed them Smile

Quote:

I'm not sure I'd be able to do such a thing as making a top 10 of my favourite classical music albums.. Would it be acceptable to list my top ten favourite piano pieces and their corresponding favourite performance? If not I might do it anyway haha

It can be either 1) list of works you love or 2) list of performances you love (which obviously would include the work)

The recording will really only become important to the competition if there are enough votes. Otherwise it's just a good suggestion for people if they are looking for a good recording.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2019 23:53
  • Post subject:
Fischman and Chief - I got some replies coming, but I lost my brain power to say anything constructive after a 55 hour work week. More to come when fried brains aren't a thing. And possibly more on the choices I made.

I did spend some time doing so for one of them to be found here:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15803
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2019 21:55
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Okay, so here goes. This is gonna' get real long so I'm going to break up each entry into an individual post for ease of readership.

1. Brahms: Symphony #3 in F Major

Discussion:
1, 2 & 4: This may be a shortsighted choice as #1 as this was one of the first great masterworks I heard and fell in love with when I began exploring classical music in my late 20s. The luster has never worn off for me though, and it remains not only a favorite, but also my real number one. I know it's musical/historical significance lags that of his massive 1st and capstone 4th, both of which I also hold in very high esteem. But this one while somewhat less grand in scope seems to say more in less, which is kind of the opposite of my usual preference which is usually for the longer, grander, more complex pieces. But this one is so concise, and still no lightweight at over 36 minutes. What's more, it also benefits from the magnificent 3rd movement, poco allegretto, which now well over two decades after my first exposure, may still be the single most sublime bit of music I've ever laid ears on.

As for a question, I've oft wondered if this one is less revered by the professionals than the 1st and 4th simply because of it's more concise scope.

3. This is one piece, loving it so much as I do, which I have sought out a variety of recordings and poured over them with great focus. The choice pictured is my fave, as it brings the power when the power is appropriate while still being delicate at other points for maximum overall effect. Bruno Walter's recording with the Columbia symphony is a very close second, and while it's never listed among the greats, I also love Gunther Wand's recording with the North German Radio Symphony Orchestra on RCA Victor.

5. Nothing really interesting about Brahms that hasn't already been said a thousand times. Personally, I love the fact that he is considered something of a throwback for his time. Not that I'm against progress, but there's something to be said about perfecting existing forms at a level not previously achieved. Brahms was a master of this. He made much sublime beauty and didn't have to break any glass to do so.

6. I also love Brahms' chamber music. I recall being seated within 10 ft of a string quartet performing his second string quartet and being moved to the point that I could scarcely contain myself. At one point, I was gripping the sides of my chair with intensity. I left the hall feeling like I had had a full on religious epiphany.

Nice write up!

I've only heard the 4th symphony. Look forward to checking out this.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2019 22:24
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
2. Bach: Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins and Orchestra, BWV 1043

This was indeed a fantastic concerto. Really cool to have two soloists, and better yet Perlman and Stern. I didn't consider it my favorite baroque piece so far, but I did enjoy it. Perhaps I'll have to give this another shot considering how high you esteem it.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2019 22:34
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:

3. Beethoven - Piano Sonata #17 in D Minor, Op. 31 No. 2, "The Tempest"

Agree that Alfred Brendel is fantastic for Beethoven. Interesting choice for his best work. I haven't spent that much time with it. Can't wait to listen to either this CD or one just like it featuring Brendal here in the next 3 months or so once I'm surveying the classical period.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2019 22:39
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
i'll have something for you eventually. I'm going to re listen to some stuff and not really think about what the greatest is, but what I like right now.

Although, I probably do have a number 1, so I'll drop it here.

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 In C Minor "... Orchestra

I think the best quality of Classical music is its timelessness. Rock and pop trends can come and go and sound dated after a couple of decades, but a monstrous emotional rollercoaster like this piece of music will stand the test of time. And it probably would be something I'd like to listen to if my time was running out. Whether it's a nuclear holocaust or a terminal disease, I hope some part of my brain will be playing this in the background as I pass on; the hope that the ending of my corporeal existence will be met with a spiritual resurrection.

Mahler's 1st is probably my favorite of his... I'll have to revisit his 2nd. His 6th is pretty fantastic as well.

Isn't this the one with a giant sledgehammer pounding the stage?

VPO and Mehta... likely a fantastic recording.

Look forward to your list!
  • Visit poster's website