Pretending to Like Music More Than YOU

View previous topic :: View next topic
TimeLion

• Posted: 02/16/2019 21:28
  • Post subject: Pretending to Like Music More Than YOU

The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground

Has anybody heard of this obscure band? Is irony not dead?

A debate ensues over which is the best Velvet Underground album and nobody picks #3 but me. After all, WL/WH is cooler and more boundary-pushing, and how can the best Velvet Underground album be one that lacks CALE? Or NICO? But double guitars are underused elsewhere and melody is nothing to sneeze at. Does beauty have to push any boundaries, or can it just be? But let's be maximally obstinate and just pick the compilation of garage rock outtakes:

VU by The Velvet Underground

Maybe their lost fourth album, whatever that means? I don't know, I just know it's nice that this band made it four albums before Lou Reed passed the necessary threshold of being fed up with himself.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2019 21:41
  • Post subject: Re: Pretending to Like Music More Than YOU
TimeLion wrote:
A debate ensues over which is the best Velvet Underground album and nobody picks #3 but me.

False... I pick #3. As do Jimmy Dread and sethmadsen, among others on this site.
TimeLion

• Posted: 02/16/2019 22:10
  • Post subject:

Benton County Relic by Cedric Burnside

The best way to guarantee a Grammy nomination is to imitate a canonical artist (including oneself, decades after the fact). To be fair, Cedric does grandpa Burnside a great deal of credit, and with the White Stripes almost a decade in the rearview and the Black Keys (mercifully) on hiatus, perhaps we'd all be better off without much elaboration on the original.

I nod my approval, but can't think of much else to say.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 02/16/2019 22:55
  • Post subject:
We all sit down to exchange 2018 year-end lists and there are only a handful of albums in common between them, including none of the #1's. I scour my mind for things to say about albums by Mythic Sunship or Eric Church, but nothing comes to mind. Garrett shares an article from the Onion: Study: No Two People Listened To Same Band Since 2003.

Cute.

So the conversation is restricted to trends in music, as well as everyone's philosophy on picking "Best Albums" lists. Madison notes an increase in the quality and number of female artists in the last decade, unsure of whether he's being sexist or simply bringing attention to past sexism. At least he's talking about it, I figure... most people are afraid to. Politics in America has become a mess of eggshells, all with the broken side pointing directly up.

Fortunately, every member of the group is in uniform agreement on list-making -- pick your favorites. Objective measurements of quality are uniformly dubious, and often so difficult to gauge (like "influence", or "impact") that you might as well not even try. Unfortunately, this often means that you're left feeling like there's something to the famous quote, "talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

Still, we always manage. Somehow.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2019 00:42
  • Post subject:
TimeLion wrote:
Study: No Two People Listened To Same Band Since 2003.

Laughing

Indeed.

Also glad to find another self titled VU album valuer (? questionable terminology).
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2021 22:53
  • Post subject:
The Velvet Underground were great, kind of innovative and creative. But then Lou grew, expanded, and launched into this peak of excellence:

Rock N Roll Animal by Lou Reed