52%  [11]
Total Votes : 21

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2019 03:33
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I think everybody needs to stop worrying about decimal scores, quality is not quantifiable. Also while I find plenty of recs from RYM, Skinny has rarely failed with recco's so I almost always go to him first (I like to know that we both share that special hatred of Camp)

Oh cool. I too, have a special hatred of Camp.

I'd be more likely to ignore the score if I were already familiar with the touchstones of the genre and had some context to place it in. But my familiarity with UK hip hop is tragic; I haven't even heard anything by Dizzee Rascal yet. So not sure this is the best starting point.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2019 03:34
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tilly wrote:
21 random fucks on RYM vs. Skinny. Yeah. I think I know whose side I'm on. lol

It's great grime. Very playful beats.

Are you calling Norman a random fuck? Lol

"Just OK" according to him.

In all seriousness, I might listen to it if there were more hours in the day, but here we are.

When it comes to grime? Maybe. Laughing

Anyways, I recommend it fwiw. Razz It's very fun & accessible album. It's not my favorite discovery. That would be Trevor Power's Mulberry Violence which is seriously taking over my life. But it better than Metric!!! I stand by that. lol.

Love you, Bates! Love
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2019 03:36
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Oh cool. I too, have a special hatred of Camp.

I'd be more likely to ignore the score if I were already familiar with the touchstones of the genre and had some context to place it in. But my familiarity with UK hip hop is tragic; I haven't even heard anything by Dizzee Rascal yet. So not sure this is the best starting point.

yeah. You need to listen to Dizzee first. What is Camp? Embarassed (I hope it's not Camp Cope!!!)
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2019 03:43
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
What is Camp? Embarassed (I hope it's not Camp Cope!!!)

A really bad album by Childish Gambino. Do yourself a favor and steer clear.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/20/2019 03:55
  • Post subject:
Yeah again I liked the Mist album, though more so in smaller chunks (like the song presented here). And considering I haven't paid attention to Metric in at least 6 years, this song did nothing to steer me back (whatever RYM's ratings compilation may have to say Razz )
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/20/2019 13:31
  • Post subject:
MIST's album/EP/whatever is what it is: an unashamedly pop-leaning release full of lyrics that are charming but often inconsequential. I liked it, but my Birmingham bias is real. That said, Steel Banglez is one of the best producers in the UK right now, and this bubbling song nods to both the shiny suit, Bad Boy rap of the late '90s, as well as the glitzy, musical sheen of UK garage from the same era, with an effervescent, gurgling bass line, an immediately catchy piano motif, and Jessie Ware's perfectly judged hook, which elevates this song to potential pop hit. MIST's flow is economical, and he has an innate sense of when to let the beat breathe, which consequently give his words a clarity too often missing from more rapid UK rappers over the years. His cheeky Birmingham charm ("it's a banger yet again, yeah it certainly is"), impressionistic boasts of believable successes ("now my crib's got gates where I live"), and ability to work his personal life quietly into the mix ("daughter's soon 7, yeah I'm far from a kid") make him an inherently relatable rapper, even when offering ostensibly fluffier lyrical work, as on this song. He's a likeable, quotable rapper, and this is his most accessible song.

Last edited by Skinny on 02/20/2019 13:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 02/20/2019 13:36
  • Post subject:
Malgrés que les deux derniers albums de Metric ne soit pas aussi bons que les précédents j'aime encore bien ce groupe et en particulier la voix de Emily Haines. Now or Never Now est ma chanson préféré de 2018. Elle ne franchira probablement pas le premier round de ce tournois, mais la nomination avait pour but de la partager avec d'autres qui pourrais l'apprécier.
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 02/20/2019 13:37
  • Post subject:
Despite the fact that the last two albums of Metric are not as good as the previous ones I still like this band and in particular the voice of Emily Haines. Now or Never Now is my favorite song of 2018. It will probably not go through the first round of this tournament, but the purpose of the nomination was to share it with others who might appreciate it.
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/20/2019 15:42
  • Post subject:
Exist-en-ciel wrote:
Malgrés que les deux derniers albums de Metric ne soit pas aussi bons que les précédents j'aime encore bien ce groupe et en particulier la voix de Emily Haines. Now or Never Now est ma chanson préféré de 2018. Elle ne franchira probablement pas le premier round de ce tournois, mais la nomination avait pour but de la partager avec d'autres qui pourrais l'apprécier.

Merci, c'est bien!
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/20/2019 16:20
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Gonna go with Mist by a bit here. Damn the album has an absolutely brutal 2.31 on RYM. The lowest-rated album I've ever been a fan of has a 2.41, so I have some hesitation about committing.

Certain styles don't fare well on RYM. MIST makes UK pop rap, which is never gonna equate well there. Sorta surprised by the support here, though pleasantly so obviously. This isn't grime - it's not the right tempo - but it is grimy, in the sense that MIST raps about street life in a regional UK accent with zero attempt to appeal to those on the outside, lyrically at least. He frequently shouts out "all of [his] apnas, karlas, gouras", which are Punjabi terms used throughout Birmingham - spread from our large Punjab Indian population - meaning South Asians (or, more closely, 'our own'), blacks, and whites (or, more closely, 'fair skinned') respectively. Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi kids in Birmingham would frequently use these as terms of light ribbing or even endearment when I was growing up - everyone I know remembers these being part of common playground parlance in what is a very multicultural city - and to hear a rapper using those terms is refreshing and indicative of his Birmingham origins. As such, he's something of a local hero, and the kids at the school I work at just south of Birmingham's ethnically diverse city centre are universally fans of MIST. His appeal transcends racial lines here, and he really speaks to the youth in Birmingham (though, in fairness to us, the youth in Birmingham have always integrated naturally with one another to a certain extent - just the other night I went for drinks with friends, and amongst our number were Jamaicans and Bangladeshis and whites who had all attended school together and have stayed as friends since). So, again, I am pleasantly surprised that such a Brum-centric artist has garnered any support here, but I don't expect him to do so on RYM.