Women's History Month Listening Project (Second Annual)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 18:34
  • Post subject:
My favorite female rocker, and one of my all time faves regardless of gender, is Canada's hard rocking, in your face, killer female vocalist, Sass Jordan:

Link

In recent years, with her blazing rock cred beyond reproach, she has held onto her roots, but evolved into a more introspective bluesy vein, which she also captures exceptionally well.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 18:42
  • Post subject:
Old Hildegard is pretty cool. Scientist, composer, and visionary are some impressive credentials.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 18:47
  • Post subject:
And speaking of blues, it's the women who are keeping blues and blues-rock fresh and alive these days.

Beth Hart

Link

Ana Popovic

Link

Dana Fuchs

Link

Joanne Shaw Taylor
[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIh8sz9pTkc[/img]

Sue Foley

Link
[/url]
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 00:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Old Hildegard is pretty cool. Scientist, composer, and visionary are some impressive credentials.

Indeed.

Also Wendy Carlos deserves a shout out:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 03/04/2019 03:46
  • Post subject:
Without this being an orchestrated thing, been listening to a lot of the women of the Tri-Centric (Katie Young (bassoon), Jessica Pavone (viola), Erica Dicker (violin), Ingrid Laubrock (Reeds), Kyoko Kitamura (voice), Anne Rhodes (voice)) and Splitter (Magda Mayas (keys), Andrea Neumann (keys), Anthea Caddy (cello), Liz Albee (trumpet), Biliana Voutchkova (violin)) Orchestras and their various projects. Antichamber Music and In The Action are two such releases from this year and, also from 2019, I've been listening to Columbia Icefield quite a bit, which features excellent work from Mary Halvorson (guitar) and Susan Alcorn (steel pedal). And speaking of Alcorn, perhaps my most anticipated release of this year is a trio with her, Mcphee, and Vandermark as well as a duo with Joelle Leandre (bass) and Damon Smith. This month, freejazzblog should be posting my reviews on Marilyn Crispell's (piano) three excellent albums from 2018, and I'll begin writing my review for Antichamber Music later this month. That's after I come back from Big Ears, at which the aforementioned Columbia Icefield quartet, Nicole Mitchell (flute), Tomeka Reid (cello), Mary Halvorson's Thumbscrew, Jlin (elec.), Susie Ibarra (percussion), and perhaps Carla Bley (piano), Meredith Monk (voice), and Rachel Grimes (piano) are all on my schedule. And then of course here's some all time greats that are always on my mind (examples here but everything they do is A+)...

Solo Violin Improvisations by Polly Bradfield

Have One On Me by Joanna Newsom

Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I And II...ne O'Dwyer

Spirit Music by Marilyn Crispell

Joelle Leandre Project by Joelle Leandre
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 03/04/2019 18:07
  • Post subject: Mexican frontwomen
¡Hello there!
I just registered to BestEverAlbums 'cause I noticed that the community lacks Latinamerican representation. Later, my girlfriend pointed out how weird it is that in the first 50 top albums there's no women. So I'll do my job and recommend music through those criteria.

Thinking of Mexico I would say you should check these albums and bands:

- Rita Guerrero's band, Santa Sabina. Start with the MTV Unplugged and go to El Mar Abierto en la Sangre album.
- Julieta Venegas has one of the best albums in mexican rock history called Bueninvento. After that album, she went to pop music and her production decreased in quality.
-More into mexican folk, you have Natalia Lafourcade with her albums Musas vol.1 and vol. 2.
- In the same genre, Lila Downs is a great artist that goes from traditional indigenous songs --she speaks Zapotec-- to jazz variations. La Sanduga was her debut album.

Everything is here and in Spotify.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2019 02:10
  • Post subject: Re: Mexican frontwomen
FelipeBoorkes wrote:
¡Hello there!
I just registered to BestEverAlbums 'cause I noticed that the community lacks Latinamerican representation. Later, my girlfriend pointed out how weird it is that in the first 50 top albums there's no women. So I'll do my job and recommend music through those criteria.

Thinking of Mexico I would say you should check these albums and bands:

- Rita Guerrero's band, Santa Sabina. Start with the MTV Unplugged and go to El Mar Abierto en la Sangre album.
- Julieta Venegas has one of the best albums in mexican rock history called Bueninvento. After that album, she went to pop music and her production decreased in quality.
-More into mexican folk, you have Natalia Lafourcade with her albums Musas vol.1 and vol. 2.
- In the same genre, Lila Downs is a great artist that goes from traditional indigenous songs --she speaks Zapotec-- to jazz variations. La Sanduga was her debut album.

Everything is here and in Spotify.

Cool, thanks! Also, welcome! I really enjoy Natalia Lafourcade's music, so I'll have to check out the other artists here whom I don't know.
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 03/09/2019 03:29
  • Post subject:
I don't know if I'm posting this correctly, but I created a playlist with 100 songs made by women. Check it out:

https://open.spotify.com/user/121014122...pEprYEOxmg
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2019 02:25
  • Post subject:
Updated the first page to reflect last week's listening. And then today I heard this live album, one of the best I've ever experienced. Sides one and four have a jazz fusion backing band, while sides two and three are acoustic folk. Fantastic setlist and fantastic performances. Check it out if you like Joni Mitchell. I'm kicking myself for putting it off.

Miles Of Aisles by Joni Mitchell
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2019 02:28
  • Post subject:
It's not music but...
https://www.secplicity.org/2019/03/08/s...-security/
  • Visit poster's website