"They say I'm plump, But I throw up all the time"

- Hole
 
some of the biggest artists/geniuses ever have Aspergers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll: Some of the very biggest geniuses and best artists in our history, are those who have Aspergers syndrome.
Yes (Agree)
71%
 71%  [5]
No (Disagree)
28%
 28%  [2]
Total Votes : 7

Author Message

meccalecca
Voice of Reason


Gender: Male
Location: The Land of Enchantment
United States

#11 | Posted: 03/06/2019 11:20 | Post subject: Reply with quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
The DSM applies to the US. Apparently internationally there is still lots of debate about whether to adopt the same merger with autism.


Good point. Regardless, the fact that there's huge division on the topic does point out just how difficult it is to diagnose. Not only is it virtually impossible to diagnose historical figures like Lincoln and Michaelangelo with it, but it's not unlikely modern persons diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers were actually misdiagnosed. That is not to say that there aren't many extremely talented and high functioning individuals on the spectrum.

This is just a weird thread.
_________________

Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
http://meccalecca.com
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

raadfactoryxny



Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Copenhagen
Denmark

#12 | Posted: 03/06/2019 20:15 | Post subject: Reply with quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Can you produce any evidence from a reputable source about these musicians having this diagnosis? Second-hand speculation doesn't count. The only famous musician I am aware of with the diagnosis is Susan Boyle.

Also what is your point in making this thread?


I cannot produce hard evidence, but I base the statement on some of the following sources:
https://genius.com/13267654
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-peop...rity-lists
https://list25.com/25-famous-people-wit...-syndrome/
https://www.disabled-world.com/disabili...us/asp.php


Plus, the knowledge of people having strong special interest, being introverted, perhaps somewhat eccentric.
I don't state it as a fact, but as a widespread believe.
/As an Aspie myself, I feel it very empowering, that some of the largest thinking figures are suspected to be Aspergers as well. Which is really my main reason for making this thread, but also because hearing other people's opinion (both on them being autistic in action or artistry, them not being some of the milestones in comparison with other legends, whether or not Aspergers syndrome is a good thing in terms of like creativity and thinking, etc).
meccalecca wrote:
This is just a weird thread.

Ikr, it's boring to be normal. Think Laughing

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Also, I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell that Abraham Lincoln had Aspergers. He was a fantastic orator, debater, and story-teller.

Quick internet search came up with this.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog...h-swimmers


The lists feel affirmative and empowering, but one should of course keep in mind, that just because you are an Aspie, you will not become the next Gates or Michelangelo. Most of us are just ordinary people, and others are wired differently. This thread is more about putting "Asperger/Autism as Expletives", to bed. Wink
_________________
"Check my style, che-che-check it out" :
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash



Age: 24
Location: Massachusetts
United States

#13 | Posted: 03/07/2019 00:13 | Post subject: Reply with quote
raadfactoryxny wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Can you produce any evidence from a reputable source about these musicians having this diagnosis? Second-hand speculation doesn't count. The only famous musician I am aware of with the diagnosis is Susan Boyle.

Also what is your point in making this thread?


I cannot produce hard evidence, but I base the statement on some of the following sources:
https://genius.com/13267654
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-peop...rity-lists
https://list25.com/25-famous-people-wit...-syndrome/
https://www.disabled-world.com/disabili...us/asp.php


Plus, the knowledge of people having strong special interest, being introverted, perhaps somewhat eccentric.
I don't state it as a fact, but as a widespread believe.
/As an Aspie myself, I feel it very empowering, that some of the largest thinking figures are suspected to be Aspergers as well. Which is really my main reason for making this thread, but also because hearing other people's opinion (both on them being autistic in action or artistry, them not being some of the milestones in comparison with other legends, whether or not Aspergers syndrome is a good thing in terms of like creativity and thinking, etc). Ikr, it's boring to be normal. Think Laughing

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Also, I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell that Abraham Lincoln had Aspergers. He was a fantastic orator, debater, and story-teller.

Quick internet search came up with this.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog...h-swimmers


The lists feel affirmative and empowering, but one should of course keep in mind, that just because you are an Aspie, you will not become the next Gates or Michelangelo. Most of us are just ordinary people, and others are wired differently. This thread is more about putting "Asperger/Autism as Expletives", to bed. Wink


"having strong special interest, being introverted, perhaps somewhat eccentric"

That applies to me and I don't have autism. It probably applies to huge chunk of this forum, united as we are by our special interest in music.

It's interesting that your list of geniuses so closely mirrors your top chart. Think You said that most people with Asperger's are not geniuses, but it appears you may think most geniuses have Asperger's?

Role models and empowerment are important, but there are plenty of great confirmed autistic role models who we don't have to armchair diagnose. Armchair diagnosis relies on the idea that abnormality must = pathology. This person has these positive characteristics, so they probably have this disability (e.g. your list), or they have these negative characteristics, so they must have that disability (e.g. people talking about Trump). I am against armchair diagnosis as a disabled person, whether it's positive or negative. Obviously it's a bit different when people are dead, but there should at least be a compelling degree of evidence in that case.

I am 100% with you that autism, autistic, etc. should not be used in disparaging ways. But we can make that point without making questionable claims about people past and present.
_________________
Add me on RYM

Currently listening to: Women's History Month Listening Project
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

raadfactoryxny



Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Copenhagen
Denmark

#14 | Posted: 03/08/2019 16:50 | Post subject: Reply with quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
That applies to me and I don't have autism. It probably applies to huge chunk of this forum, united as we are by our special interest in music.

Yea but Asperger/Autism is a spectrum, and some of us are closer to that then others. Maybe some of the celebrities have Asperger traits, without actually being autistic or Aspie.

baystateoftheart wrote:
It's interesting that your list of geniuses so closely mirrors your top chart. Think You said that most people with Asperger's are not geniuses, but it appears you may think most geniuses have Asperger's?

Well thanks for looking at my chart again Smile Wink . I mostly wrote a list of the ones, that I believe are geniuses. And it may also be the case that they're on my chart, due to their autistic traits Very Happy .

baystateoftheart wrote:
Role models and empowerment are important, but there are plenty of great confirmed autistic role models who we don't have to armchair diagnose. Armchair diagnosis relies on the idea that abnormality must = pathology. This person has these positive characteristics, so they probably have this disability (e.g. your list), or they have these negative characteristics, so they must have that disability (e.g. people talking about Trump). I am against armchair diagnosis as a disabled person, whether it's positive or negative. Obviously it's a bit different when people are dead, but there should at least be a compelling degree of evidence in that case.


I think you have a solid point here, and I agree with you that we should not diagnose all types of differences between pple. Lemme just clarify, why I made this list to begin with (from another perspective...). I think that pple on my list at least have autistic traits, and I've wanted to see if anybody on this forum agreed. So my intention was not to armchair diagnose. I found more evidence suggesting people on this list actually is/was Aspies, but as you said, it doesn't fit, and I reflect and respect that. The only two people that I am sure are Aspie on the list are James Taylor and Eminem. . James, because he said it in an old interview, and consistently being on every list of celebs who are Aspies. Eminem, because he never disses or calls someone autistic, and four-or-so lyrics that don't tell otherwise (here https://genius.com/13267654).

baystateoftheart wrote:
I am 100% with you that autism, autistic, etc. should not be used in disparaging ways. But we can make that point without making questionable claims about people past and present.

Probably, that needs to be done Shocked Very Happy Thanks nonetheless
_________________
"Check my style, che-che-check it out" :
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Stover75



Gender: Male
Location: Bournemouth, England
United Kingdom

#15 | Posted: 03/13/2019 01:08 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is a positive thread. Why shouldn't some of the biggest names in history have Asperger's? Ok there must be more proof than just a hunch but you have shown some evidence for some of these celebrated people. But I read once David Byrne saying he probably has Asperger's. But it may have been self-diagnosis! Hell, I might have Aspergers. Who knows!?

Although since seeing the Michael Jackson documentary Leaving Neverland I am now convinced he was a very sick and dangerous man. Genius but very sick. There. Said it. Now somebody start a thread about it.......

We shouldn't be scared to talk about this.

The doc was extremely disturbing though. Only for those with a strong stomach and who are not easily disturbed.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

raadfactoryxny



Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Copenhagen
Denmark

#16 | Posted: 03/13/2019 05:21 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Stover75 wrote:
I think this is a positive thread. Why shouldn't some of the biggest names in history have Asperger's? Ok there must be more proof than just a hunch but you have shown some evidence for some of these celebrated people. But I read once David Byrne saying he probably has Asperger's. But it may have been self-diagnosis! Hell, I might have Aspergers. Who knows!?

Although since seeing the Michael Jackson documentary Leaving Neverland I am now convinced he was a very sick and dangerous man. Genius but very sick. There. Said it. Now somebody start a thread about it.......

We shouldn't be scared to talk about this.

The doc was extremely disturbing though. Only for those with a strong stomach and who are not easily disturbed.


Thank you for the comment
But
#MichaelIsInnocent #RKellyIsGuilty
_________________
"Check my style, che-che-check it out" :
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif




#17 | Posted: 03/13/2019 06:15 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy with XXXTentacion avatar think Michael Jackson is innocent. Eeeewwwwww.
_________________
2019 in full effect. Come drop me some recs.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

raadfactoryxny



Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Copenhagen
Denmark

#18 | Posted: 03/13/2019 06:40 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Skinny wrote:
Guy with XXXTentacion avatar think Michael Jackson is innocent. Eeeewwwwww.


Well thank you for that personal attack as well Laughing
_________________
"Check my style, che-che-check it out" :
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif




#19 | Posted: 03/13/2019 06:41 | Post subject: Reply with quote
raadfactoryxny wrote:
Well thank you for that personal attack as well Laughing


Less harmful than the attacks XXXTentacion and Michael Jackson carried out.
_________________
2019 in full effect. Come drop me some recs.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

raadfactoryxny



Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Copenhagen
Denmark

#20 | Posted: 03/13/2019 06:43 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Skinny wrote:
Less harmful than the attacks XXXTentacion and Michael Jackson carried out.


Whatcha wanna gain from this...?
_________________
"Check my style, che-che-check it out" :
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Autism/Aspergers HigherThanTheSun Lounge 31 08/22/2013 09:59 View latest post
Guest
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. [ Poll ] Who is the biggest Guest Music 5 12/19/2011 01:39 View latest post
Hayden
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Biggest BEA-fan of anything Guest Music 253 04/19/2012 22:02 View latest post
GeevyDallas
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. The Biggest Rip-offs in Music. Guest Music 35 08/31/2013 01:12 View latest post
benpaco
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. The Biggest Sell-Outs Jackwc Music 62 11/17/2012 00:51 View latest post
Guest

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2019 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map