Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2019 05:34
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I suppose anyone who is more self aware would want to know "why" they like something.

Oh for sure. But I can't figure it out. Or at least I haven't been able to nail it down to a neat set of criteria. Any set of criteria broad enough to capture everything I like will allow in countless false positives and/or be so general as to be completely meaningless. And when the criteria get too specific and restrictive, they start excluding things I couldn't live without.

Whatever makes good music good is, as far as I can tell, a mysterious magical alchemy. I adore thing X so I check out thing Y, which on paper seems to check all the same boxes, but thing Y falls completely flat on my ears. And yet thing Z, which is different in every respect from things X and Y, I also adore. I don't understand how my brain works. Some stuff tickles it, other stuff doesn't. Analysis of the process has never led me anywhere productive.

Or more concisely:
Tilly wrote:
Feeling >>>>> Thinking

(at least when it comes to art)
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/10/2019 13:58
  • Post subject:
me on the whole feeling vs thinking debate:

i rate things based on the following criteria:

1. how much i like these sounds they make
2. how interesting i find these sounds
3. the emotional and lyrical depth of something for me
4. how original the sounds are
5. how much seth dislikes this thing
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2019 17:35
  • Post subject:
An album must first pass the smell test. Literally. I will initially inspect the packaging (the vinyl sleeve, the jewel case, the cartridge, the late Victorian Era steamer trunk, the hyperbaric compression capsule) using sensory means. The look, smell, taste, and feeling of the album must be determined first before the sounds within are disseminated. For example, if the album (at once) looks purple, smells floral, tastes minty, and feels slimy, then I am unlikely to proceed to the listening step. However, I have found albums that match a similar or tangential description that ended up being OK. The albums I tend to enjoy will usually look orange, smell of fresh gasoline, taste of licorice, and feel like 400 grit sandpaper (no more no less). Keep in mind, my body has to be prepared to undergo such an undertaking of artistic importance as well. Every Tuesday and Friday evening beginning at 7 o' clock GMT I will submerge myself in a plastic baby pool filled to the brim with KY Brand jelly. I pay my neighbor Ezekiel to place my Sennheiser HD 820 headphones snugly over my ears and press play on my music listening device. I then go completely catatonic for 3 hours until I have completely absorbed all that the album has to offer. My body will reject or accept the music. In the case that it accepts the music; I feel nourished, and I can go without eating or drinking until the next listening session (every 3 days). However, if my body does not accept the music, then I will need to go to the nearest facility and expel any noxious feelings immediately.

/s

I figured I'd keep up my shitposting from the last time this question was asked Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2019 18:12
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
An album must first pass the smell test. Literally. I will initially inspect the packaging (the vinyl sleeve, the jewel case, the cartridge, the late Victorian Era steamer trunk, the hyperbaric compression capsule) using sensory means. The look, smell, taste, and feeling of the album must be determined first before the sounds within are disseminated. For example, if the album (at once) looks purple, smells floral, tastes minty, and feels slimy, then I am unlikely to proceed to the listening step. However, I have found albums that match a similar or tangential description that ended up being OK. The albums I tend to enjoy will usually look orange, smell of fresh gasoline, taste of licorice, and feel like 400 grit sandpaper (no more no less). Keep in mind, my body has to be prepared to undergo such an undertaking of artistic importance as well. Every Tuesday and Friday evening beginning at 7 o' clock GMT I will submerge myself in a plastic baby pool filled to the brim with KY Brand jelly. I pay my neighbor Ezekiel to place my Sennheiser HD 820 headphones snugly over my ears and press play on my music listening device. I then go completely catatonic for 3 hours until I have completely absorbed all that the album has to offer. My body will reject or accept the music. In the case that it accepts the music; I feel nourished, and I can go without eating or drinking until the next listening session (every 3 days). However, if my body does not accept the music, then I will need to go to the nearest facility and expel any noxious feelings immediately.

/s

I figured I'd keep up my shitposting from the last time this question was asked Very Happy

Laughing Applause
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2019 18:18
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
me on the whole feeling vs thinking debate:

i rate things based on the following criteria:

1. how much i like these sounds they make
2. how interesting i find these sounds
3. the emotional and lyrical depth of something for me
4. how original the sounds are

I agree for the most part that it's both. I used to be 100% in the "it's all a feeling; I like what I like" camp, but there's value in understanding why we like or don't like things. Thinking critically about that while giving lots of things outside my comfort zone a try has helped me break down biases and start enjoying music that I didn't before.

That's a pretty good set of criteria too. As to point #4, for me music can get bonus points for being original, but I don't take points off for music that is great otherwise but derivative.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/10/2019 19:49
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I agree for the most part that it's both. I used to be 100% in the "it's all a feeling; I like what I like" camp, but there's value in understanding why we like or don't like things. Thinking critically about that while giving lots of things outside my comfort zone a try has helped me break down biases and start enjoying music that I didn't before.

That's a pretty good set of criteria too. As to point #4, for me music can get bonus points for being original, but I don't take points off for music that is great otherwise but derivative.

i have gone through both the extremes of "objectivity is the best measure" and "subjectivity is the best measure" -- i found that both seems to be more accurate and fair as some music is made for artistic expression, others are made for artistic statements, to entertain, to experiment, and so on. music isn't so simple i can gauge it on one POV.

but yeah, i also am not too hard on derivative but enjoyable music; i mean have you SEEN my charts haha
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2019 01:28
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
Oh for sure. But I can't figure it out. Or at least I haven't been able to nail it down to a neat set of criteria. Any set of criteria broad enough to capture everything I like will allow in countless false positives and/or be so general as to be completely meaningless. And when the criteria get too specific and restrictive, they start excluding things I couldn't live without.

Whatever makes good music good is, as far as I can tell, a mysterious magical alchemy. I adore thing X so I check out thing Y, which on paper seems to check all the same boxes, but thing Y falls completely flat on my ears. And yet thing Z, which is different in every respect from things X and Y, I also adore. I don't understand how my brain works. Some stuff tickles it, other stuff doesn't. Analysis of the process has never led me anywhere productive.

Or more concisely:
(at least when it comes to art)

The struggle is real. If it all was logical then those stupid algorithms from Pandora would work on me (I hate Pandora).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2019 01:29
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
5. how much seth dislikes this thing

Laughing

Assuming the more I dislike it the more you do? I suppose repelling idiot would be de facto.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2019 02:07
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Laughing

Assuming the more I dislike it the more you do? I suppose repelling idiot would be de facto.

you are the lex luthor to my clark kent
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2019 02:12
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Laughing

you are the lex luthor to my clark kent

I like your new avatar.
  • Visit poster's website