Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2019 02:20
  • Post subject:
i like my new avatar too, purple looks good on me
  • Visit poster's website
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 04/06/2019 17:20
  • Post subject:
I lost track of this post. It's interesting to find the reason against emotion discussion in this forum.

I know we chart what we love, and I know it goes beyond reasoning. Music as an experience is beyond reasoning. So we shouldn't do charts. But, inevitably, when we put something in the number one spot in our chart we hear something there that we consider better than the album we put in second place.

I've never heard any musician I like talking about another artist just in the emotional aspect. They always state an element (the production, the exploration for new sounds, the composition of the concept in the album, the tone of the voice or just the violence of their live presentations), so I do think awareness is part of enjoying music.

Also, I studied Literature so I love to put experience into words. I like to hear/read people stating in their own words what they love.
  • Visit poster's website
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 04/06/2019 18:02
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
An album must first pass the smell test. Literally. I will initially inspect the packaging (the vinyl sleeve, the jewel case, the cartridge, the late Victorian Era steamer trunk, the hyperbaric compression capsule) using sensory means. The look, smell, taste, and feeling of the album must be determined first before the sounds within are disseminated. For example, if the album (at once) looks purple, smells floral, tastes minty, and feels slimy, then I am unlikely to proceed to the listening step. However, I have found albums that match a similar or tangential description that ended up being OK. The albums I tend to enjoy will usually look orange, smell of fresh gasoline, taste of licorice, and feel like 400 grit sandpaper (no more no less). Keep in mind, my body has to be prepared to undergo such an undertaking of artistic importance as well. Every Tuesday and Friday evening beginning at 7 o' clock GMT I will submerge myself in a plastic baby pool filled to the brim with KY Brand jelly. I pay my neighbor Ezekiel to place my Sennheiser HD 820 headphones snugly over my ears and press play on my music listening device. I then go completely catatonic for 3 hours until I have completely absorbed all that the album has to offer. My body will reject or accept the music. In the case that it accepts the music; I feel nourished, and I can go without eating or drinking until the next listening session (every 3 days). However, if my body does not accept the music, then I will need to go to the nearest facility and expel any noxious feelings immediately.

/s

I figured I'd keep up my shitposting from the last time this question was asked Very Happy

Applause Applause Applause ¡Beautiful!
  • Visit poster's website
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 04/06/2019 18:27
  • Post subject:
albumceleste wrote:
About (2): I value consistency very highly. I want the artist to have a coherent vision or concept or sound or mood. I tend to rate albums that feel disjointed or very uneven -or that have a huge dissappoiting moment within them- relatively lower. (i.e. my least fav of the Rolling Stones' Big Four is Let it Bleed, just for the choir intro on You can't always get what you want, even when the rest is clearly as good as the other 4).
About (3): a really amazing moment can bring the rating high a little, as a really bad one can lower it a bit, but the overall feel it gives me is the main reason of the rating.

This is something I found interesting while doing the exercise of relistening some of my favorite artists to do my chart. Some songs I love were picked in my first intuition but appeared in albums that had odd elements. It happens a lot with very prolific artists.

My chart of songs would be completely different.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 19:34
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I suppose anyone who is more self aware would want to know "why" they like something.

Feeling >>>>> Thinking

Don't give so much importance to your brain, brother.

But music that stimulates me intellectually makes me feel good.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 19:37
  • Post subject:
FelipeBoorkes wrote:
I lost track of this post. It's interesting to find the reason against emotion discussion in this forum.

I know we chart what we love, and I know it goes beyond reasoning. Music as an experience is beyond reasoning. So we shouldn't do charts. But, inevitably, when we put something in the number one spot in our chart we hear something there that we consider better than the album we put in second place.

I've never heard any musician I like talking about another artist just in the emotional aspect. They always state an element (the production, the exploration for new sounds, the composition of the concept in the album, the tone of the voice or just the violence of their live presentations), so I do think awareness is part of enjoying music.

Also, I studied Literature so I love to put experience into words. I like to hear/read people stating in their own words what they love.

Can I get an Amen! Laughing

And me too! What emphasis in literature did you have?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 19:37
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Tilly wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I suppose anyone who is more self aware would want to know "why" they like something.

Feeling >>>>> Thinking

But music that stimulates me intellectually makes me feel good.

Pretty much, but I'd still have to agree with Tilly (if I'm understanding correctly), that music is first emotional, then intellectual. Purely intellectual music is nearly always shit. Emotional music with no intellectual aspect usually is shallow/lacks something to take it home for me.

Also I was trying to make a Wicked and examined life joke... which clearly failed miserably.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/06/2019 22:19
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Feeling >>>>> Thinking

Yet we are on a music forum, analyzing music, aren't we ?
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/06/2019 22:33
  • Post subject: Re: General headings to rate albums.
FelipeBoorkes wrote:
I'm interested to see which criteria you use to grade albums.

I've been using 4 criteria.

1) Importance in their musical context
2) Consistency of all the song as a musical concept
3) Iconic or irreplaceable songs.
4) Albums that left a personal mark

In pop and rock, you can't really go wrong with good melodies, tension/focus/attention to detail, and a few minor chords.
  • Visit poster's website
FelipeBoorkes

• Posted: 04/10/2019 15:12
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Can I get an Amen! Laughing

And me too! What emphasis in literature did you have?

I studied Mexican Literature here in Querétaro, Mx. After that I went to Western Michigan University to study a Master in Peninsular Literature (Spain and colonial literature).

How about you?
  • Visit poster's website