New Genres for the 2020's

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:18
  • Post subject: New Genres for the 2020's
So me and Komorebi-D were shooting some ideas about music. It first started with this album.

This album is called The Same But By Different Means by Yves Jarvis.
As of now, it is my fave for 2019.
And this was the catalyst of how this album feels otherworldly and could bring up a sea change in R&B
The best way I could describe it is trippy and alien. Feels like a warped concoction of D Angelo and Frank Ocean.

But then Komo brought up how he was concerned for rock. At I mentioned that maybe Glitch Rock could be a new venture for rock. And then a few seconds later I brought up Glitchgaze. Morphing Shoegaze into something crazier.
The only album that comes to mind for Glitchgaze was Velocity Design Comfort.

So my question to the other users of BEA, what could be some defining genres for this decade. This could be for fun or could be a serious discussion. Think hard about it.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:34
  • Post subject:
- There will be a country rap album that gets good reviews within the next decade.
- We will think of trap rap as a broader movement with a variety of distinct sub-genres within the next decade.
- Bubblegum bass will continue infiltrating mainstream pop for a least a few more years.
- More music is going to made for and consumed within social network-specific formats. Think music within Vine (R.I.P.), Tik Tok, and unknown future social networks with adjacent concepts. Don't know if this will spur a new genre, but it's possible.
- LGBTQ culture will produce at least one significant genre that does not currently exist.
- The boundaries between radio-oriented pop and radio-oriented r&b will become increasingly blurry.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:38
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
- There will be a country rap album that gets good reviews within the next decade.
- We will think of trap rap as a broader movement with a variety of distinct sub-genres within the next decade.
- Bubblegum bass will continue infiltrating mainstream pop for a least a few more years.
- More music is going to made for and consumed within social network-specific formats. Think music within Vine (R.I.P.), Tik Tok, and unknown future social networks with adjacent concepts. Don't know if this will spur a new genre, but it's possible.
- LGBTQ culture will produce at least one significant genre that does not currently exist.
- The boundaries between radio-oriented pop and radio-oriented r&b will become increasingly blurry.

Damn this is some good shit. Honestly I hope that first bullet is true. Maybe Kendrick could do it. Or maybe someone else.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:54
  • Post subject:
ASMR will be a music genre in 2023.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:55
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Damn this is some good shit. Honestly I hope that first bullet is true. Maybe Kendrick could do it. Or maybe someone else.

I cannot see Kendrick being a pioneer in the country rap movement personally lol. If I had to guess who would it would be Young Thug, since he's already dabbled in country rap before. Tierra Whack could be an interesting prospect...and never put anything past Kanye West.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 02:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
ASMR will be a music genre in 2023.

That gave me a laugh.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 03:02
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
Luigii wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

I cannot see Kendrick being a pioneer in the country rap movement personally lol. If I had to guess who would it would be Young Thug, since he's already dabbled in country rap before. Tierra Whack could be an interesting prospect...and never put anything past Kanye West.

Tierra Whack and Kanye, maybe. Young Thug is also an interesting pick, but I feel the critically acclaimed factor could come from the former than the latter.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 03:06
  • Post subject:
Tierra Whack x Kacey Musgraves collab when
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 03:12
  • Post subject:
I want to hear more music like

Link

Link

Electro-punk, Cyber-punk, Sci Fi type stuff. There will be something including these kinds of elements and styles in the next decade. So, not necessarily new, but more prolific. As far as I'm concerned, that Grimes song may have started something cooking already. It should be in the best of 2018 tournament, but I hadn't listened to it yet.

We are living in the "future" now, and I think a lot of art is going to be taking queues from technology and such. Think of like another Italian Futurist movement except it's our actual reality.

Also, whatever Brainiac was doing on there last album.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2019 03:23
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Think of like another Italian Futurist movement except it's our actual reality.

So most of the artists will be fascists? Sad