Cover ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic
Temporary33

• Posted: 03/14/2019 21:15
  • Post subject: Cover ideas
Hey guys, looking for songs to cover. Just make a list if you wanna contribute (song and artists), no need to link the songs themselves and clutter the page. No particular genre or sound or anything in particular, but the easier it is to convert to solo guy with an acoustic guitar the better. Learning these due to getting gigs at bars and stuff. Already have a bunch of songs I know, but I'm running low on ideas.

Basically could be any song, but the more recognizable the better. Essentially, I'll take anything into account, but I prefer songs that are easy to convert to solo acoustic act and people in general can recognize. Decade wise doesn't matter as crowd will change from time to time, but be aware that songs that were popular in their timeframe are fine too. A song that was mainly popular in the 70s for ex. is something I would be looking for. Thank you guys and have a nice day!
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2019 20:34
  • Post subject:
Treat yo'self and get an app for your tablet called Guitar Tapp Pro. It's free.

What I do is when I hear a song I think I might want to cover, I'll look it up on the app. Either by artist or song title. It will pull up pages you can save to the app that will show chords and lyrics. It scrolls, and you can set the amount of time it takes to scroll a song. Your songs are saved by artist and by title. You can also make setlists, and the songs will come up in order you want them...or you can jump to the index and improvise. It also has setting that allow you to transpose.

It's also handy for requests...if someone shouts out a song you've never played before, you can look it up and fake your way through it...easy to do because it gives you chords and lyrics.

I have over 160 songs on mine, and I add more all the time. Definitely worth it.

Is there any certain artists that you prefer? I might be able to help with songs if I had more to go on.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2019 22:06
  • Post subject:
I’m gonna disagree with singing from the screen. Nothing you could possibly do on stage will get me to check out faster than reading off a phone. Learn the songs. Most of them aren’t even gonna be that hard. As far as specific covers go, I’ve had some success with Radiohead’s Fake Plastic Trees and Sam Sparro’s Black and Gold, but ultimately, you’re going to want to play stuff you enjoy, so think about that. I used to crack out I Want It That Way from time to time for the kicks too...
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2019 22:30
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
I’m gonna disagree with singing from the screen. Nothing you could possibly do on stage will get me to check out faster than reading off a phone. Learn the songs. Most of them aren’t even gonna be that hard. As far as specific covers go, I’ve had some success with Radiohead’s Fake Plastic Trees and Sam Sparro’s Black and Gold, but ultimately, you’re going to want to play stuff you enjoy, so think about that. I used to crack out I Want It That Way from time to time for the kicks too...

Just saying...you may be surprised at the number of major concerts you might go to that utilize teleprompters and tablets. And it's no different than having lyric sheets or sheet music, both of which have been in widespread use since long before any of us were born. If you happen to be enjoying the music, but feel the need to "check out" because of an aid used by the musician as a reference and as a tool to be able to have a wide variety of music available for you, then your loss. I choose to have over 100 songs available when I play...I do that so that I can be flexible depending on my audience. (And right here...we're talking about cover shows.) I could not do that just by having songs in my head. 45 minutes of originals? Yes. 4 hours of covers? Not so much. Not many have the ability to recall that much from our heads on stage that easily. And it's not like I'm staring at it all night. It's a reference and a guide. I do learn the songs. I am still playing my instrument and singing the songs and doing my best to put on a show. I'm certainly working harder than the guy pressing a key on his laptop that brings out the sound of an entire band while he's up there by himself with one hand while holding his headphones to his ear with the other. If having the equivalent of sheet music bothers you, then electronic music must make you insane.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 03/17/2019 04:42
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Treat yo'self and get an app for your tablet called Guitar Tapp Pro. It's free.

What I do is when I hear a song I think I might want to cover, I'll look it up on the app. Either by artist or song title. It will pull up pages you can save to the app that will show chords and lyrics. It scrolls, and you can set the amount of time it takes to scroll a song. Your songs are saved by artist and by title. You can also make setlists, and the songs will come up in order you want them...or you can jump to the index and improvise. It also has setting that allow you to transpose.

It's also handy for requests...if someone shouts out a song you've never played before, you can look it up and fake your way through it...easy to do because it gives you chords and lyrics.

I have over 160 songs on mine, and I add more all the time. Definitely worth it.

Is there any certain artists that you prefer? I might be able to help with songs if I had more to go on.

First of all, wanna say thanks for the app idea dude. Fucking genius, seems like the perfect thing for me practice wise. It's not free, but it's worth the 3 bucks it'll cost and seems like it'll save me so much fucking time. Brilliant dude.

As for artist preference, no. Like I said, I just need more cover ideas. My range is pretty large as far as vocal as well as genre ability goes. "Life is a highway" is a song that I can't do vocally in its original key since the pitch is too high tho so that's about the top of my non falsetto range (the chorus that is). As for lows, I can do johnny cash's "Hurt" without an issue. if that gives you reference for whatever you may want to recommend. As long as it's reasonable to change into "guy with an acoustic guitar" type style. I'll say this tho, I can change songs to fit that style of course like "such great heights" for ex. that I do. The biggest thing I need though are more 10's songs and 60's and 70's songs. Also, would prefer currently more somber songs as well. Like I said, I'll do anything basically. I have no main preference as I just want the people in the crowd to like me so I can get more work. Basically, anything that pleases people who go to restaurants and bars.

craola wrote:

Agree with romanelli on a lot of this, but also it's not about preference for me, it's about what will get people to want me to come back. I'm a huge sellout for this type of thing so I don't really care what I play. I want it that way is actually a great song to learn.

Last edited by Temporary33 on 03/17/2019 05:56; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2019 05:08
  • Post subject:
Covers dudes in my area typically have binder they reference. It hadn't bothered me...

I've seen some rappers/etc. use phones and in some ways it added flair to their performance because of how they used it... sometimes pointing at written word conveys meaning, but I totally could see if someone used it poorly/their performance was shit... yeah... I'd totally say something like, if the dude had learned it and not been glued to his phone, maybe he'd be good (even if the real reason wasn't the phone).

then there's connecting with the audience, etc. idk... it'd debatable for sure.

I will say, at least start with music you really like... there's nothing worse than a cover that sounds like shit because the performer didn't connect with the music.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 03/17/2019 05:51
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Covers dudes in my area typically have binder they reference. It hadn't bothered me...

then there's connecting with the audience, etc. idk... it'd debatable for sure.

I will say, at least start with music you really like... there's nothing worse than a cover that sounds like shit because the performer didn't connect with the music.

Gonna say that I don't intend on using the phone thing for my performances, but more so during practice since it seems like a fucking great app for those purposes, but either way why are we debating this? Would just like some songs that are popular guys!

And also it doesn't really matter whether you "connect" with the song or not. If you play it well and people know the song, they'll want to sing along to it and they'll like you. It's not like I don't learn songs I like. I have plenty of songs I like that I do and don't learn for various reasons, that's really besides the whole purpose of this thread which seemed to be lost when people started debating all this stuff.
  • Visit poster's website