Best Films of 2018 [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 23:53
  • Post subject:
I think it's obvious Netflix, with its ease of access, made an impact on this list. Roma appeared on more individual lists than any other and came in at #2. Think, I wonder how that happened. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs at #19 and The Other Side of the Wind making the Top 40 with no other means of access.

It's cool. I put all three on my list, but I don't think any of them are great. For me, I considered them "list filler material", movies I find solid, good enough to include. But really they were just to get my list close to 50 so the movies I really liked, my Top 15 or so, could get more points.

Anyway, my point is when working with a small sample size, where not every participant is a big movie buff, it gives an advantage to Netflix movies because everybody can easily watch them.

Of course many good films people had to seek out made their way on here. At the same time, some didn't or were low. Ex. Thoroughbreds didn't make it, and Searching at #44. Watch these movies people!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2019 01:10
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Roma appeared on more individual lists than any other and came in at #2

To be fair, it was reeeeally close.

And I think those are the only 3 Netflix originals on here... they released plenty of bad stuff this year too Laughing I think our selection is fair.

EDIT: Woops, forgot Annihilation was Netflix.

Last edited by Hayden on 03/31/2019 14:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 01:49
  • Post subject:
cool list. I've never been much of a film person honestly, maybe next time I wanna watch a movie ill pull from this.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 05:31
  • Post subject:
I'm happy with it. Nothing at all surprising about the top 2, nor the fact that they blow everything else away on points, but the rest of the list is pretty random. Quite a few near the bottom that I haven't seen so I've got a bit to gain from it.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 06:06
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I think it's obvious Netflix, with its ease of access, made an impact on this list. Roma appeared on more individual lists than any other and came in at #2. Think, I wonder how that happened. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs at #19 and The Other Side of the Wind making the Top 40 with no other means of access.

Think it just reflects the almost universal critical acclaim for Roma. Factoring in number of reviews, it was probably the best-reviewed film of the year. It won Best Picture in all the U.S. critics group awards -- NY Film Critics Circle, Chicago Critics Association, L.A. Critics Association, WAFCA Awards (D.C. critics) -- except the Critics Choice Awards, and guess who won that? The Favourite. Given all that, the biggest surprise is that Roma didn't come in at #1. Also worth noting that The Favourite isn't available on any subscription streaming service -- it's not even available to rent or buy on iTunes and Amazon.

I would've liked to see a non-English language film other than Roma crack the top 10, but I guess that's just the nature of the forum.

Have to admit I relied heavily on the availability of 2018 films on subscription streaming services and HBO, but if I wanted to see a film badly enough, I found a way. It was the pretty great selection of films on Amazon Prime that really encouraged me to participate -- Eighth Grade, You Were Never Really Here, First Reformed, Annihilation, Hereditary, Unsane and others. Surprisingly, Hulu came through in a pinch too -- principally Shoplifters (though there was a major technical problem with the subtitles) and If Beale Street Could Talk.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2019 14:39
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:

I would've liked to see a non-English language film other than Roma crack the top 10, but I guess that's just the nature of the forum.

For a while Cold War was in the top 5. Didn't get a lot of love near the end.

Quote:
I'm happy with it. Nothing at all surprising about the top 2, nor the fact that they blow everything else away on points, but the rest of the list is pretty random. Quite a few near the bottom that I haven't seen so I've got a bit to gain from it.

And yeah... Roma & The Favourite will definitely go down 2018's most notable films come decade-list time (or even in the far future). Possibly even First Reformed, and as it's currently looking, Into The Spiderverse.

Will note I'm quite glad Bohemian Rhapsody was nowhere close to making the cut.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 15:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

In a 50-film list, no small accomplishment!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 16:52
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Think it just reflects the almost universal critical acclaim for Roma. Factoring in number of reviews, it was probably the best-reviewed film of the year. It won Best Picture in all the U.S. critics group awards -- NY Film Critics Circle, Chicago Critics Association, L.A. Critics Association, WAFCA Awards (D.C. critics) -- except the Critics Choice Awards, and guess who won that? The Favourite. Given all that, the biggest surprise is that Roma didn't come in at #1. Also worth noting that The Favourite isn't available on any subscription streaming service -- it's not even available to rent or buy on iTunes and Amazon.

I was pleasantly surprised The Favourite beat out Roma. It's the better movie of the two. And the fact people had to leave their living rooms to see The Favourite makes its win over Roma even sweeter.

But anyway, my point was Netflix boosted the three movies I mentioned, possibly Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2 as well if anyone didn't see them in theaters. If not for Netflix, Other Side of the Wind wouldn't make the list; Buster Scruggs would probably be lower; Roma probably would have had less points but still may have been #2 due to how many points separate it from #3.

PurpleHazel wrote:

Definitely Shoplifters.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 04/01/2019 04:16; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 18:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

why do you think that is? again I know nothing about film, but that was one of only 3 or 4 movies i saw from all of last year. I thought it was okay...7-8/10 from me
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 03/31/2019 19:57
  • Post subject:
hi there, I'm gonna share some random considerations, first thing first:
Hayden man, thank u so much for making this tourney possible and yes, of course, thanx to all the users that have joined it, I have a more colorful wish-list now.

Roma, I loved it, that kind of gorgeousness and enchanting slowness of Michelangelo Antonioni, that kind of quality that makes the movie almost hypnotic in a positive way.
Also The Favorite was a nice one, I'm not sure that I proper understood what the director wanted to convey at the end tho. I have to think about it a little bit more maybe.
Rachel Weisz & Olivia Colman best female performances, of course, they were amazing but I enjoyed more KiKi Layne's one, her performance and Dakota Johnson's one are my favorite of the year.
BlacKkKlansman, it was my #15, I was thinking about it yesterday and probably I should have put it a little bit higher, Spike Lee message was quite deep. The different standpoints of Ron Stallworth and Patrice, people on one side shouting white power and on the other side people shouting black power...I'd like to know what u guys think about what Mr. Lee wanted to convey with this movie.

I watched The Miseducation of Cameron Post, "a teenage girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy center by her conservative guardians". That is on my top 20 now. It's very similar to Boy Erased, "the son of a Baptist preacher is forced to participate in a church-supported gay conversion program after being forcibly outed to his parents".
I didn't know, in my ignorance, that places like these actually exist...and the people that are running these places have no idea of what they are doing.

Blaze, guys, if like Outlaw Country u might find this movie interesting and if u have time to listen to Blaze Foley albums I'm sure you're gonna dig them.
one of my favorite songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT76_mYDV0
and favorite album so far: Sittin' By The Road by Blaze Foley

Speaking of soundtrack, I loved A Star is Born one, my favorite songs are I'll Never Love Again and Always Remember Us This Way. awesome tunes imo
and obviously I can't forget Suspiria one. At the beginning of the movie the first song started and I wondered who the heck is this band/singer?? I'm not a huge fan of Radiohead, to be honest I'm not a fan at all, that's why I didn't recognize him Laughing but I do recognize Yorke genius as an artist and his songs in this movie are fabulous.
my favorite is probably this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTZl9KM...mp;index=1

wow...my longest post in five years Laughing
  • Visit poster's website