Get To Know A Top 10: April 2019 Thread - dihansse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Palomine by Bettie Serveert
14%
 14%  [2]
Swagger by The Blue Aeroplanes
14%
 14%  [2]
White Soul by Green
0%
 0%  [0]
Flip Your Wig by Hüsker Dü
14%
 14%  [2]
Blue Sky Mining by Midnight Oil
0%
 0%  [0]
Bakesale by Sebadoh
21%
 21%  [3]
Eroica by Wendy & Lisa
0%
 0%  [0]
Calenture by The Triffids
7%
 7%  [1]
The Ideal Crash by dEUS
14%
 14%  [2]
Reading, Writing And Arithmetic by The Sundays
14%
 14%  [2]
Total Votes : 14

dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/19/2019 15:24
  • Post subject:
HeyImChance wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Woow what a great review and of course I'm glad that you liked dEUS so much. If you like this one certainly also check out their other first albums. I also liked your comments about the Green album.
And also thanks for sharing your reasons why you didn't like some of the other albums. Of course for me they make a difference because they're the albums that made my day when they were released and that's for some of them quite a long time ago although I think they're still great.

They have an album from 1994 called "Worst Case Scenario." Is that the one you mean? I'll give it a listen.

Yeah, the one that's been bugging me since the other day is the Bettie Serveert album. There was something in there that I liked. I have a feeling it will really grow on me over time. I did find it challenging though.

Worst Case Scenario is one of their good ones but In A Bar, Under The Sea is even better.
And indeed it would be interesting to see what you think about Bettie Serveert at a second or third listen because I think you'll like it.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2019 20:30
  • Post subject:
RE: Calenture by The Triffids

I never listened to this group at the time, but I'm glad I got prodded to do so now. Still kind of a mixed bag for me, but lots to like. I hear a fantastic blend of influences all nicely tied together with enough variety to hold my interest over the course of a full album. Initial impression is a 65/100, but since I truly think of 50 as average, this is still a god few cuts above that. I think of it as the best of the three 65s I've given on this list and place it now 4th of the 8 I've checked out.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/19/2019 23:35
  • Post subject:
Bakesale.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2019 04:25
  • Post subject:
Calenture had been on my to-do list for a while, and thanks to this thread I finally got around to it. I'm glad! With rich, sweeping production, great songwriting, and keen pop sensibilities, it's a winner and my favorite first listen of these so far (although it didn't pass The Sundays).
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 14:26
  • Post subject:
RE: dEUS - The Ideal Crash

Like the groove, generally like the vibe, and rarely like the vocals. I do very much like the occasional progressive elements in what would otherwise be for me perfectly flat, standard indie music. I'm giving it (yet another) an initial solid 65 and placing it 4/9 heard so far.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 20:54
  • Post subject:
Reading, Writing And Arithmetic was the only album I had already heard coming in, and it is a great one. Revisiting again today, it holds up, but hasn't grown on me over time (and may have even slightly grown off me). Jangle pop with excellent female vocals is a winning combo, but the sound is a bit too consistent. There is a lot of good songwriting, but only a couple tracks that I would consider standouts. Fittingly, its vibe was ideal for this Sunday afternoon, but its strength is probably more as background music than intent listening. I think Calenture may have taken the lead in my personal ranking with two albums left to hear.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2019 13:07
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Just curious: how did you discover Bettie Serveert?

I think from a review in Spin magazine back when Palomine came out. It got a pretty stellar review.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2019 13:11
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Fuck, 764-HERO, and Unrest are up there for me as well.

I LOVE Unrest and totally agree. Haven't really heard those other two so will have to check them out.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2019 17:35
  • Post subject:
I thought this was one of the groups I’d never heard. But then upon hearing the first song, they sounded a little familiar. Then of course it all became clear on the second cut, which was a big hit where I lived back in the day.

I never explored further because I figured it would be one of those groups where I liked a single but wouldn’t care for the whole album.

I was wrong. Thanks for listing this. Interesting compositions, cool groove, laid back but plaintive and engaging vibe. And really, really nice vocals. I’m smitten.

I’m gonna’ give this an 80, which puts it in a tie for first place with Swagger and just ahead of Palomine. Tough call. In the end, I’m voting for this one – those vocals are just too sweet not to.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/22/2019 19:03
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
I thought this was one of the groups I’d never heard. But then upon hearing the first song, they sounded a little familiar. Then of course it all became clear on the second cut, which was a big hit where I lived back in the day.

I never explored further because I figured it would be one of those groups where I liked a single but wouldn’t care for the whole album.

I was wrong. Thanks for listing this. Interesting compositions, cool groove, laid back but plaintive and engaging vibe. And really, really nice vocals. I’m smitten.

I’m gonna’ give this an 80, which puts it in a tie for first place with Swagger and just ahead of Palomine. Tough call. In the end, I’m voting for this one – those vocals are just too sweet not to.

Thx Fischman because you're expressing my view on this album perfectly. I'm also glad that there's a bit of variety in the voting and certainly also that there is a lot of love for this album.
  • Visit poster's website