Best Ever Actor-Director Teams [POLL] **CLOSED**

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 08:29
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Done. Don't get in trouble for overposting, it's been a long time since I've encountered any "Off Topic - GTFO" people on the internet but I'm old school where users actually took pride in their post count (and anyone posting as much better be posting quality on topic stuff) and moderators also expected a sleek cleanliness to their forums so I felt rather uncourteous for putting in there but let's be honest, that game section is as close to the opposite of cleanliness as I've ever seen in a forum so it shouldn't be a big deal to have the notice bouncing around for a couple weeks. Nothing wrong with that. Online etiquette is actually way better today than it was 10-15 years ago.

Very Happy I marginally cared about post counts on this site before I reached Level 7 and was bumped to Data Moderator, but since then I couldn't give three shee-its. Considering the decline in forum activity in the last year, I'd find it pretty funny if I got into hot water for making goofy bump posts. I'll delete my old posts before posting new ones, unless there's actually some substance to them. Think this tourney's about over, so hopefully it'll be prominent for the rest of the month.

I'm all for order and elegance in general, but I think any threads/posts of minimal substance (or purpose) are probably a good thing here at this point.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 04/23/2019 15:17
  • Post subject:
I skimmed through some of lists on here I thought maybe I'd mention some other more modern choices. I'm not these belong in the top fifty but there is some good collabs here.

Joseph Gordon Levitt/Rian Johnson (Brick/Looper/Cameos in his other movies)
Mark Wahlberg/Peter Berg (Patriots Day/Lone Survivor/Deepwater Horizon/Mile 22)
Denzel Washington/Antoine Fuqua (The Equalizer 1&2/Training Day/The Magnificent Seven)
Mark Rylance/Steven Spielberg (Ready Player One/Bridge of Spies/The BFG)
Liam Neeson/Jaume Collet Serra (Unknown/Run All Night/Non-Stop/The Commuter)
Michael Shannon/Jeff Nichols (The Midnight Special/Loving/Mud/Take Shelter/Shotgun Stories)

Most of these collaborations haven't resulted in masterpieces, but they are pairs that always produce movies that I'm interested in.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 23:11
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
I skimmed through some of lists on here I thought maybe I'd mention some other more modern choices. I'm not these belong in the top fifty but there is some good collabs here.

Villain, if you have a little time, you should check out the madly exhaustive Wikipedia list badseed linked to in the OP. It lists several hundred director-actor teams (many of them supporting actors) and makes it way easier to throw together a list.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/24/2019 03:43
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Michael Shannon/Jeff Nichols (The Midnight Special/Loving/Mud/Take Shelter/Shotgun Stories)

Yeah, that should be on my list. Will edit.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 06:05
  • Post subject:
Quote:

AwaitingAndrew has this on his list too.

I'd consider it, but I've only seen two of Nichols' films so far (yeah, I know I got to get on that).
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 17:01
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Quote:

AwaitingAndrew has this on his list too.

I'd consider it, but I've only seen two of Nichols' films so far (yeah, I know I got to get on that).

I have them and Denzel/Fuqua from Villain's suggestions.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 18:12
  • Post subject:
Villain's post goes to show the Wikipedia list, while pretty comprehensive, is missing a few from modern times. I would not have included Nichols/Shannon otherwise. It also led me to think of another modern pairing I'm adding to my list...Jeremy Saulnier/Macon Blair.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2019 00:33
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Villain's post goes to show the Wikipedia list, while pretty comprehensive, is missing a few from modern times. I would not have included Nichols/Shannon otherwise. It also led me to think of another modern pairing I'm adding to my list...Jeremy Saulnier/Macon Blair.

A little misunderstanding's going on here. Had a feeling Villain hadn't seen the Wikipedia list which is why I recommended it to him in case he was interested in posting a list for the poll. Nichols-Shannon and Fuqua-Denzel are on the Wikipedia list. But cool that you caught one that wasn't.

AwaitingAndrew wrote:
I have them and Denzel/Fuqua from Villain's suggestions.

AwaitingAndew just means here that he had these two that are on Villain's list on his list already.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2019 05:00
  • Post subject:
Speaking of not on the Wiki page, there's many Ingmar Bergman listings but none for Harriet Andersson so I just remembered her. Gotta add her to my list.

Also, not saying they should be on here (and if I wouldn't list them surely you guys wouldnt) but I don't think Argento-Nicolodi were on there either.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/03/2019 07:29
  • Post subject:
Watched Nosferatu (1979), added Herzog-Kinski to my list. In the spirit of this poll, I also saw My Best Fiend, one of the few director-actor partnership documentaries to have played in theaters (assume Liv and Ingmar did too).
  • Visit poster's website