Noise Vs Melody

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/06/2019 20:50
  • Post subject:
Noisiest on my top 100? Probably Twin Infinitives, though albums like Glenn Branca's Ascension, Sun Ra's Atlantis, VU's WL/WH, Trout Mask Replica, several free jazz works, also are right there in their own ways...

Between noise and melody, in terms of which is "better", it really matters which emotion/concept the artist is trying to relay. Obviously noise can be a better reflection for certain types of intensity or violence, ferocious physical or environmental action, apocalyptic destruction (etc) while melody is often a better reflection of beauty or nature or the human singing voice (etc).

Neither melody or noise by themselves (for the sake of it, or virtually so, without much emotional/conceptual purpose...) are of much value.

The greatest artists often find an alignment, synthesis and synchronization between the two (where one never fully disassociates from the other), or if not "outright noise" per se, then between "dissonance" and melody. Beethoven, perhaps above all. There are parallels to this with most of the greatest artists, not just music, but in other art forms too (visually etc).
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 21:31
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Oh hey, what was that album you shared once where it was like CD skipping noises or something orchestrated together? That was an interesting project for sure, even if I could never purposely listen to it for the purpose of heartfelt enjoyment.

hmm that sorta sounds like what people say about Oval - 94diskont but that one's pretty listenable and I don't think I shared it, not sure which one it would be
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 21:57
  • Post subject:
Can't there be both?

Link

Here's some noisy stuff from my chart.

Link

Link

Link

Hey, and here's some of this just for the fun of it.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 22:20
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
hmm that sorta sounds like what people say about Oval - 94diskont but that one's pretty listenable and I don't think I shared it, not sure which one it would be

Yeah, that wasn't it... it literally was CD's skipping orchestrated altogether. It was wild... but maybe I'm remembering wrong... I swear you had posted it. It probably fits into the glitch world.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2019 23:28
  • Post subject:
ah hm maybe this one?

Solo For Wounded CD by Yasunao Tone

I actually haven't gone too deep with this guy yet, just the Group Ongaku album, I should tho.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/07/2019 15:23
  • Post subject:
To add to what Tap said, "noise" is the foil of tone but also, colloquially, tonality. Practically, tonality is heard as the movement of music and is culturally relative. A tone or pitch is a measurable, objective quality but a series of tones or pitches (or modulation of one) begins to have different implications for people from different backgrounds. A typical western pop/rock listener cannot follow or has trouble following, for example, the polyrhythm of an Ewe drum circle, several jazz soloists at once (the "cacophony" of Free Jazz or Ascension), Arabic rhythmic patterns like rubi, or some of the minimalist chamber music of Arvo Part. Because they are uninitiated, the music would sound atonal or like noise to them (similarly, a non-speaker hearing another language ("it's all Greek to me")). It's questionable whether the intended emotivity can be learned through the music at an older age, rather than learned through being told, but you can immerse yourself in the music and become comfortable with the movement, making it no longer seem like noise.

So taking what we both said, I tend to not think of noise in music or sound. I think of timbral gradients (e.g. a sine wave, a step-pattern wave) and whether I understand or don't understand the sounds (or am at least comfortable listening to them).
TimeLion

• Posted: 04/07/2019 17:13
  • Post subject:
I think the aesthetic appeal of noise *as* noise is distinct from the appeal of music that simply clashes with a listener's previous tonal experiences. The harshness of noise provides an edge that I find invigorating, in part because it frees me from the structural constraints of traditional forms of music, however complex that music may be. What's more, noise can communicate a feeling of angst and frustration that many listeners relate to. Even mainstream artists make use of this effect on occasion (e.g., "Misunderstood" by Wilco), though not nearly to the same extent as straight noise artists.

Everyone needs to listen to Pan Sonic's Kesto for at least 15 minutes. I suspect if I was ever able to break this down into tones it would become much less enjoyable.

Kesto (234.48:4) by Pan Sonic
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2019 17:15
  • Post subject:
I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but that's an amazing album right above me.
  • Visit poster's website
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2019 17:53
  • Post subject:
A lot of my top 100 albums are loud and noisy, but none of them are truly "noise" in my opinion. TRUE noise is just sound, fluctuation of pitch, feedback, or hum. Noise is atonal and sometimes rather harsh. The reason I don't listen to true noise music is because there is nothing to latch on to. Nothing that draws me in or brings me back for more. Most of my favorite artists however incorporate some form of "noise" in their recordings. The Smashing Pumpkins are probably my favorite band and they're loud, noisy, and in your face, they dabble in what I'd consider "noise" for only a handful of songs. My mom thinks Black Sabbath is noisy, but she also thinks the same about most rap music. I guess its a subjective thing...

The noisiest album in my top 100 as of rn is probably Refused "The Shape Of Punk To Come". Lots of screaming and balls-to-the-wall instrumentation. Very hardcore... But another person might look at my list and say MBV, Dinosaur Jr, or even Slipknot. I look at something like MWPP by Animal Collective as a "noisy" album but not in the same sense as the others.

Most melodic on my list is tough because I pretty much think all these albums are great and have some sort of melody. If I wanted to make it easy I'd say Sgt. Peppers and call it good. I could argue almost any one of my top 100 (other than a handful, like Refused) as being melodic. In terms of appealing vocals and harmonies, I'll say In Rainbows or Parallel Lines

Post-Hardcore: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52396
  • Visit poster's website
svk4ever

Germany

• Posted: 04/08/2019 21:22
  • Post subject: Re: Noise Vs Melody
Michael1981 wrote:
What is the noisiest album in your top 100 and which is your most melodic (by your own definition/ judgement)?

Also, I'm wondering about...

Are noise and melody opposites?

If an album is genuinely very noisy can it still be great music? If yes, what is the value in noise?

What value do you place on melody- is melody the most important factor in enjoyment of music? (For me yes, but I'm curious to see what other people think).

I'll try to answer my own questions once I've slept on it.

Rather interesting question…

I can't decide which one is noiser… CHILDREN OF BODOM: Hat Crew Deathroll or HAGGARD: Eppur Si Muove…. On the other Hand: Is RUNRIG's The Cutter And The Clan more melodic than DIRE STRAITS Love Over Gold?

On my opinion: Melody is defintly not the most important factor in enjoyying music. If so, it would be rather easy.... Listen to the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Modern Talking... and you'll be lucky...

My main factor is: Music has to move me.... that can be melodic music, but it can be as well noisy… and it also depends on the message.

Just listen to "The Last Of Pagan Blood" from AMON AMARTH. Definitly not melodic, but because of it's message one of my favorites… Or "Earth Warrior" from OMNIA... I definitly don'it like the Reggae rhythm! But I love that song, because of it's intention and it's message….

For me it's not a question of melodic or not melodic... it's simply: Is that music relevant to me and my life...

(Just listening to melodic noise from ELUVEITIE)
  • Visit poster's website