*ALERT* MOVIE BUFFS PLEASE READ

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 07:01
  • Post subject: *ALERT* MOVIE BUFFS PLEASE READ
We decided it would be best to make a quick announcement here in case you missed it and don't browse all of BEA's subforums. All the movie-related list polls from here on out will be taking place in the Movies section of the forums. We're currently doing Best Actor/Director Teams and would love to have you participate if you get the chance.

**I apologize for posting this here as it's not a game thus making it spam, so if you guys want to turn it into a game just post pictures of your movie collection and PurpleHazel will rate them based on three factors: quantity, quality and aesthetic.**

***Or in this one instance, lists of up to 50 in the aforementioned poll will be accepted on this post***

Last edited by badseed on 04/22/2019 03:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 08:37
  • Post subject: Re: *MOVIE BUFFS PLEASE READ*
badseed wrote:
if you guys want to turn it into a game just post pictures of your movie collection and PurpleHazel will rate them based on three factors: quantity, quality and aesthetic.**

Laughing I will do this! In addition to the above three criteria, I will throw in a wild-card criterion I haven't made up yet! (Not an advance copy of a Criterion Blu-ray of a yet unreleased indie film called "Wild Card," but "criterion" as in the singular of "criteria" -- I'm not Jeff Bezos!)
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2019 19:17
PurpleHazel wrote:
Laughing I will do this! In addition to the above three criteria, I will throw in a wild-card criterion I haven't made up yet! (Not an advance copy of a Criterion Blu-ray of a yet unreleased indie film called "Wild Card," but "criterion" as in the singular of "criteria" -- I'm not Jeff Bezos!)

I kinda wanna try this now, but oddly enough my Criterion Collection is the only thing not jammed up in the closet right now. But I think I could still get a decent rating from it alone.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2019 08:29
badseed wrote:
I kinda wanna try this now, but oddly enough my Criterion Collection is the only thing not jammed up in the closet right now. But I think I could still get a decent rating from it alone.

If you can only have one segment of your collection out in the open, I don't think it's odd that it's your Criterions.
I have a nice Blu-ray and DVD collection, including a Criterion one, but our apartment has small rooms, so my collection's on shelves in two different rooms and in several boxes. If folks start posting pics and I'm feeling ambitious and have the time, I probably could fit most of my Criterions onto one shelf for a pic.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 02:42
  • Post subject:
That does make more sense.

I watched a movie once... hehe kidding... I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to them though... amongst other things. I started this plan to watch a bunch of movies and got caught up in Twin Peaks because some genius listed it as a film on RYM. Anyway I'm kind of a completionist, so I'll watch it all and then continue... then I'll know like 20 more movies.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 04:46
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

I watched a movie once... hehe kidding... I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to them though... amongst other things. I started this plan to watch a bunch of movies and got caught up in Twin Peaks because some genius listed it as a film on RYM. Anyway I'm kind of a completionist, so I'll watch it all and then continue... then I'll know like 20 more movies.

I believe the confusion a lot of people have here is that it's not the series, but the pilot that is considered a film, and at 112 minutes rightfully so.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 05:13
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

I believe the confusion a lot of people have here is that it's not the series, but the pilot that is considered a film, and at 112 minutes rightfully so.

Yeah - I saw that convo happening. And then a bunch of people saying watch the whole thing.

Is the first episode considered the pilot (like most things) or something completely different than the first episode on Netflix now? And if it is just the first episode, eh... the series does the story justice/the first episode is ok. I don't feel like most series it just drags on to gain advertising views to then gain revenue.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 08:47
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yeah - I saw that convo happening. And then a bunch of people saying watch the whole thing.

Is the first episode considered the pilot (like most things) or something completely different than the first episode on Netflix now? And if it is just the first episode, eh... the series does the story justice/the first episode is ok. I don't feel like most series it just drags on to gain advertising views to then gain revenue.

Yes, the first episode on Netflix, titled "Pilot," is the pilot (no snark intended -- your question is reasonable). There is an international version of the pilot that has scenes added at the end to give the storyline a resolution, but it gives stuff away, so better not to watch that until after you've seen the series, if at all. I actually haven't seen it, but I know most if not all of the extra material was used in subsequent episodes. What ep are you up to?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 03:14
  • Post subject:
S2:E15.

And thanks for the answer. I suppose that's why the internet exists so you can look stuff up... but thanks for clarifying because the pilot it is on Netflix couldn't stand on it's own.

It's been ok so far, wouldn't say it is great, but neither do I want to hang myself from boredom like most TV series.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 05:29
  • Post subject:
Once the Laura Palmer mystery is solved in S2:E7, it's all downhill. ABC forced Lynch and Mark Frost to wrap up the mystery in Season 2 -- Lynch wanted to keep it going for the life of the series. The resolution spelled the series' doom (and it was briefly a huge pop culture phenomenon) -- though sustaining the mystery throughout Season 2 and beyond might've have been fraught with peril as well.

I watched the series when it first aired and I was obsessed -- I was already a huge fan of Blue Velvet. But other than the pilot, S1:E3 and S2:E7, I don't think it's held up all that well -- it really is a quirky soap opera to a large extent. Hugely influential and some great, offbeat casting, though.
  • Visit poster's website