2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 17:14
  • Post subject:
Ohhhh duhhh. Of course I love Girlhood. My bad.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 22:53
  • Post subject:
I'm kinda looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm not a huge QT fan, but this film's showbiz satire and LA setting could be quite appealing to me. Plus it'd be nice to see something decent for once. Us is the only movie I've liked so far this year. Everything else I've seen has been disappointing or merely okay. Just have to wait for those festival films to come to theaters, I suppose. Until then, here's hoping Toy Story 4 and Dark Phoenix are good.

Applerill wrote:
I’ll admit that non-Sundance 2019 has been off to a sorta slow start in terms of monoculture (in no small part because of Moviepass)...

I know what you means by slow start and monoculture. The big movies have been disappointing and attendance is way down. But I'm curious what you mean about MoviePass. Are you saying since MP lost 90% of its subscribers, people aren't going to theaters as much?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2019 03:32
  • Post subject:
Yep. Though I also am shocked that we didn’t have anything like a Paddington 2 this first half of the year (though The Farewell and The Souvenir will probably come pretty close this summer. I just don’t understand why something like The Lego Movie 2 (still my #2 of the year) was marketed so poorly. Did they just give up on addressing the film nerds because they wouldn’t buy the toys?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2019 03:47
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Yep. Though I also am shocked that we didn’t have anything like a Paddington 2 this first half of the year (though The Farewell and The Souvenir will probably come pretty close this summer. I just don’t understand why something like The Lego Movie 2 (still my #2 of the year) was marketed so poorly. Did they just give up on addressing the film nerds because they wouldn’t buy the toys?

Figured you'd like Girlhood. It's fantastic filmmaking.

And on the subject of your point, I was shocked with the flop of a marketing campaign for the final How To Train Your Dragon instalment. By all means, it went in and out of cinemas in a blink, and it was a pretty solid film. Haven't a clue how they botched the release, but they did Neutral Should've been released sometime around now, or June.

Also agree that Sundance was an absolute snooze this year. I don't have a single film from the dramatic competition in my queue, including the winner.

Lego Movie 2 didn't get a lot of love from me, found it far too rapid-fire and soulless (especially compared to the first). Didn't hate it by any means, it's still a blast, but nowhere close to its predecessor.

Getting around to watching Us sometime this weekend, hoping for the best. Also looking forward to Booksmart once it comes around... seems to be a hot title.

Quote:
Toy Story 4

And I'm hoping this'll be good (or somewhere well-above good). It probably will be by all means, but I'm still not sold by the trailers/plot. Easily the biggest gamble Pixar's ever made.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/25/2019 18:24
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Vague guesses at this point:

Palme D'or: Pain & Glory
Grand Prix: Parasite
Jury Prize: The Wild Goose Lake (or maybe Atlantics)
Director: Celine Sciamma
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio
Actress: Isabelle Huppert (Film's a dud, but I don't think she has a lot of competition... maybe Lea Seydoux? Anne Dorval? Mame Bineta Sane?)
Screenplay: Xavier Dolan & Quentin Tarantino

But all of those are probably wrong and it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Still going to take a wild stab at The Wild Goose Lake winning.

Nailed it.

To be fair, some were close, but whatever.

All in all, quite happy with the choice for the Palme D'or this year. Feels right.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/26/2019 21:30
  • Post subject:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900...-list.html

I love the title of this article "Did AMC just beat MoviePass at its own game?" Haha, no shit. But yes it's true, a total reversal from one year ago, when MoviePass was king and A-List was just launching. Obviously AMC has an advantage since they own the exhibition. If they charge $20/month and you watch $50 worth of movies, they still profit $20, plus all the concessions profits each time you go. On the other hand, if MoviePass charges $10/month and you watch $30 worth of movies, they lose $20. MoviePass never reached a deal with theater chains to share concession profits. That was the key to their success and it failed. Just like the article says, the subscription movie wars are likely over. The theater chains won and MoviePass lost and it sucks. AMC and Cinemark each have more subscribers than MP, and I wouldn't be surprised if Regal, among smaller chains launched their own services soon.

MP went from 3 million customers to just over 200,000, over a 90% drop, in less than a year. Wow. But hey, they're still around and I still use them. Thankfully they've reached some stability in recent months, but I don't know how they can last with new competition and a dead-end business model. Like I said, it sucks. For one, I don't like being told what theater to go to. Some films I'm interested in only play at independently owned theaters that work with MP. Two, I don't like how big corporations like AMC have used their power to squash competition. MoviePass helped the independent theaters. And by squashing MoviePass, AMC is taking business from the smaller theaters too. I have a friend I used to go the movies with a lot. We both had MoviePass, and it worked out well. We could go to any theater we wanted. But he got fed up with MoviePass and ditched them for AMC, whereas I stuck with MP because I like supporting smaller theaters and the films only they exclusively get. Nowadays, we rarely go the movies together because he refuses to go anywhere other than AMC. Oh well.

Personally I despise AMC because I used to work at one back in 2006-07. They treat and pay their employees like dog shit. Their concessions are horribly overpriced. At the one I worked at, the concession equipment (soda fountains, popcorn makers, etc) was disgusting and never upgraded, maintained, or cleaned the entire time I worked there.

I'm rambling, I know. But working at AMC left a foul taste in my mouth, and I will never sign up for their subscription service. If MoviePass dies, I don't know what I'll do. But I know I will not join A-List.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2019 19:39
  • Post subject:
There are a lot of reasons to hate AMC, but I can't help but use A-List, as the River East is such a central location for cinephiles, and it feels great to see a blockbuster at the Block 37 right after seeing a bunch of arthouse movies at the Siskel. And so many weeks I max A-List out, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth. I'd obviously like for indie theaters to be supported by my pass, but I was so clearly looked at as an asshole whenever I used it at the Music Box, so I'm glad they're able to take my money that they deserve much more than AMC.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2019 20:28
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
There are a lot of reasons to hate AMC, but I can't help but use A-List, as the River East is such a central location for cinephiles, and it feels great to see a blockbuster at the Block 37 right after seeing a bunch of arthouse movies at the Siskel. And so many weeks I max A-List out, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

You gotta do what works best for you. If it's A-List, that's great. From what I understand, they charge 2x as much as MoviePass, but you can see 4x as many movies (3 movies/week, right?). You're maxing it out, so keep geting your money's worth. Personally I wouldn't get my money's worth because I don't go that often. MoviePass's 3/month is fine with me. Anyway what is AMC's policy on bringing guests with A-List? If you get 3 tickets per week, are you allowed to bring yourself plus two guests once a week to see the same film?

Applerill wrote:
I'd obviously like for indie theaters to be supported by my pass, but I was so clearly looked at as an asshole whenever I used it at the Music Box, so I'm glad they're able to take my money that they deserve much more than AMC.

I assume you're talking about MoviePass? You used to have it, and the employees at Music Box looked at you like an asshole when you used it there? If so, why? They still get their money whether you pay out of pocket, or via MP. So why the dirty looks?

Anyway, what I foresee happening is MP shutting down. Sinemia just shut down, so I think it's only a matter of time for MP. What we'll be left with is the theater chains having their own service. Like I said, I think Regal and smaller chains will get on board soon. And then, basically frequent movie-goers are all gonna be part of a club. Some people will be in the AMC Club; Some will be in the Laemmle Club; Some will be in the Cinemark Club; Some will be in the Alamo Drafthouse Club, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2019 17:13
  • Post subject:
Saw Toy Story 4. I'm down to talk about it whenever.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2019 07:17
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Saw Toy Story 4. I'm down to talk about it whenever.

Give me another week or two. It was sold out here. Saw Child's Play today instead. It was fun. Probably my fourth favorite entry in the franchise, if it can even be considered part of the franchise. It definitely goes in a way different direction.

I literally just got done watching Us on 4k. It had me on the edge of my seat and the brilliantly scattered dark humor didn't detract from the horror one bit (while in Get Out every time the TSA guy was onscreen it became a full blown comedy). I predicted the big twist but the movie had so much going on I forgot about it by the time it happened so I was still pretty blown away.