2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/27/2019 18:09
  • Post subject:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/the-i...202168628/

So Netflix is giving The Irishman a theatrical release starting more than 3 weeks before streaming. That'll boost its Oscar chances. Cool beans.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/27/2019 18:39
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/the-irishman-release-date-netflix-theatrical-scorsese-1202168628/

So Netflix is giving The Irishman a theatrical release starting more than 3 weeks before streaming. That'll boost its Oscar chances. Cool beans.

Cool. Won't complain. I've read some contradictory remarks over the past two days, but perhaps things have settled at Netflix. Looks like they're figuring their award's campaign out this week... they're gunning for a Best Picture Oscar more than Disney it seems.

All being said (as long as they're good), I think the Irishman's only competition for Best Picture are two other Netflix films: The Laundromat and Marriage Story. Jojo Rabbit's in the mix, same with The Lighthouse, and I suppose Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will be floating around (especially with Brad Pitt practically having his Oscar bagged already), but otherwise I don't think Scorsese has too many competitors to knock down to get his second Oscar.

Laura Dern/Streep/Adam Driver/Scarlet Johansson/Chalamet/Antonio Banderas/Al Pacino/Robert Pattinson are popping up everywhere this season. They're all in at least two major films, if not three (most crossing over with eachother Laughing). It's going to drive voters dizzy.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/30/2019 01:38
  • Post subject:
Venice reaction to Ad Astra and Marriage Story is overwhelmingly positive (particularly the former). Looking forward to the fall season Smile Could be some best-of-decade works up 2019's sleeve.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2019 05:40
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Venice reaction to Ad Astra and Marriage Story is overwhelmingly positive

I'm a Baumbach fan, even though his batting average hasn't been that great in a while, so really looking forward to Marriage Story. James Gray goes from the Amazon into space -- intrigued, glad it's getting good notices.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/31/2019 14:50
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Venice reaction to Ad Astra and Marriage Story is overwhelmingly positive (particularly the former). Looking forward to the fall season Smile Could be some best-of-decade works up 2019's sleeve.

And not that it needs more hype, but the first reactions to Joker have it lauded as decade-best material. Super gritty and Scorsese-esque... hearing comparisons to Taxi Driver, Mean Streets and The King of Comedy. Hoping Phoenix gets his Oscar for it... he probably deserves three or four by now.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 14:43
  • Post subject:
A couple re-posts regarding Joker...
Hayden wrote:
In a slight shock, Joker just won the Golden Lion at Venice.

Which, if the last few years have anything to say, I'm pretty sure means it could snag Best Picture.

Super hyped to see this...

Little odd seeing Todd Phillips' name among the previous winners of... since ever, but yeah.
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
A couple of the bad reviews of Joker have confirmed what I figured were it's flaws, so I don't know if I can believe the hype. I want it to be good, but I've been burned too many times.
PurpleHazel wrote:
Joker might be too controversial to win Best Picture. Obviously Phoenix has a serious shot at Best Actor.

So many reviews reference King of Comedy and Taxi Driver there seems to be some consensus that it's somewhat derivative (though if you're going to imitate films, you can't do much better than those two). But art (assuming it is art) needs to be experienced to be judged.

Hmm, well even though I've written off the DCEU, and I'm overall sick and tired of comic book movies, I'm leaning towards making an exception for Joker.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 18:29
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Hmm, well even though I've written off the DCEU, and I'm overall sick and tired of comic book movies, I'm leaning towards making an exception for Joker.

Technically Joker isn't part of the DCEU, and they're not basing any of the film off of any comics, so it should be pretty different for a comic book movie

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2019 03:28
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Technically Joker isn't part of the DCEU, and they're not basing any of the film off of any comics, so it should be pretty different for a comic book movie

Interesting, according to boxofficemojo (which is where I got my info from), Joker is part of the DCEU. But according to other sites, it isn't. Regardless, I'm leaning towards seeing this. The R-rating is also appealing, while distinguishing itself among comic book movies. You're right, it should be pretty different.

But anyway, in other news, the news we've been expecting all year:

MoviePass (from their website) wrote:
Dear MoviePass™ Subscribers,

Over the past several months, MoviePass™ worked hard to relaunch its groundbreaking subscription service and recapitalize the company. While we were able to relaunch the service for some of our subscribers with an improved technology platform, our efforts to recapitalize the company have not been successful to date. As a result, it pains us to inform you that effective at 8 a.m. E.T. on September 14, 2019, we must interrupt service for all current MoviePass™ subscribers. MoviePass™ will be providing subscribers with appropriate refunds for their period of service already paid for. Subscribers will not need to request a refund or contact MoviePass™ customer service to receive a refund. Subscribers will not be charged during the service interruption. At this point, we are unable to predict if or when the MoviePass™ service will continue.

We still deeply believe in the need for the MoviePass™ service in the marketplace, to maintain affordable access to theaters and provide movie lovers with choices of where to go to the movies. In August 2017, MoviePass™ began a transformation of the moviegoing industry by introducing its low monthly price subscription service. Since then, others in the industry have followed our lead. Now, as a result of this transformation, movie lovers throughout the United States have the ability to see movies in theaters using subscription services at prices they can actually afford, albeit with limited choices of theaters using those services. In the course of this industry transformation, MoviePass™ has experienced setbacks and challenges that are well known. Nevertheless, MoviePass™ remained committed to leading and competing in an industry that is resistant to outside competition and change. We believe that fostering competition and change in the moviegoing industry is critical to the satisfaction of the moviegoing public and filmmakers alike.

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and sharing our vision for the industry. Although we do not currently know what the future holds for the MoviePass™ service, we hope to find a path that will enable us to continue the service in the future.

Sincerely,

Mitch Lowe

Well, the end has come. This implies there's a chance MoviePass will come back at some point, but I don't buy it. A couple months ago, MP claimed they were taking time off to improve their app. And then when it came back a few weeks later, the app was the same as it was before. Yeah, that was pretty fishy. They weren't improving their app during that time; they were probably trying to come up with a last-ditch solution to keep themselves alive. It didn't work. It was never gonna work, unfortunately. If MP had been able to strike a deal with theater chains to share concession profits, maybe it would have had a chance. But instead, the chains created their own services, which was what ultimately killed MP. I respect MP for staying around for as long as they did. Or rather, I thank MP for staying around as long as they did, even though they were fighting a losing battle. One can say I'm a small part of the reason they failed. Then again, they failed because their business model wasn't profitable, and I was merely a customer simply using their service under their own terms and conditions. I doubt there will ever be another MoviePass, but one can only hope. Oh well.

RIP MoviePass, and thanks for all the discount movies.

Time to revert to the old way of paying for the theaters.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/15/2019 18:15
  • Post subject:
Despite an iffy reaction from critics, Jojo Rabbit got the TIFF People's Choice award.

Between that, Joker, whatever controversy ScarJo's whipping up, and whatever people are pissed at Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for, it could be an even more divisive awards season that the last Laughing

No way I'm not giving Jojo Rabbit a chance, but gotta admit the trailer made me a little uncomfortable.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2019 16:17
  • Post subject:
Recently saw Ad Astra and Joker.

My friends and I agreed Ad Astra was solid but it could've been better. For me, the plot was a tad slow in the beginning, and the narration and Donald Sutherland were unnecessary. Other than that, great movie. And watch it on the big screen. I know some of you prefer watching movies at home. But Ad Astra's cinematography, production design, visual effects, and sound effect were exceptional, and deserve the theater experience.

Joker. Personally I liked it.

What did y'all think of these two films?

There's a lot I want to see in theaters right now - Pain and Glory, Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Lighthouse, and of course Zombieland 2. Hope to catch them all.