2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2019 17:15
  • Post subject:
Quote:
There's a lot I want to see in theaters right now - Pain and Glory, Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Lighthouse, and of course Zombieland 2. Hope to catch them all.

Hyped for The Lighthouse... feel like it's the sort of thing I'll really dig. Gave Parasite another viewing, and it really is a masterwork... it'll go down at one of the decade's best, if not all time. Hoping you get to see it soon Smile

I'm going to need to watch Joker again at some point before forming solid opinions on it. One screening, and I really just thought it was somewhat average.

Recent watches for me include The Laundromat, Divino Amor, Midsommar, Paradise Hills, Late Night, The Golden Glove, and The Lion King, all of which I probably could've done without Confused But I also got around to watching Chicuarotes, Elisa y Marcela, El Camino, Hustlers, and Truth And Justice (Toom), and they're all certainly worthwhile watches, particularly the later, which I probably a top-ten-of-the-year for me.

Anticipating Uncut Gems, Atlantique, The Irishman, Monos, Waves, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out, Marriage Story, The Farewell, Portrait of A Lady on Girl, It Must Be Heaven, Bacurau, About Endlessness... even more... 2019 is unquestionably going to be a better film than 2018 or 2017... it's just so stacked.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2019 18:24
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:
There's a lot I want to see in theaters right now - Pain and Glory, Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Lighthouse, and of course Zombieland 2. Hope to catch them all.

Hyped for The Lighthouse... feel like it's the sort of thing I'll really dig. Gave Parasite another viewing, and it really is a masterwork... it'll go down at one of the decade's best, if not all time. Hoping you get to see it soon Smile

I'm going to need to watch Joker again at some point before forming solid opinions on it. One screening, and I really just thought it was somewhat average.

Recent watches for me include The Laundromat, Divino Amor, Midsommar, Paradise Hills, Late Night, The Golden Glove, and The Lion King, all of which I probably could've done without Confused But I also got around to watching Chicuarotes, Elisa y Marcela, El Camino, Hustlers, and Truth And Justice (Toom), and they're all certainly worthwhile watches, particularly the later, which I probably a top-ten-of-the-year for me.

Anticipating Uncut Gems, Atlantique, The Irishman, Monos, Waves, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out, Marriage Story, The Farewell, Portrait of A Lady on Girl, It Must Be Heaven, Bacurau, About Endlessness... even more... 2019 is unquestionably going to be a better film than 2018 or 2017... it's just so stacked.

The Lighthouse is probably last in my order of preference from the 5 films I mentioned. I didn't think The Witch was anything special, but it was alright. Lighthouse is supposed to be better though so we'll see. Pain and Glory is my top preference right now. Parasite is second; Here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

Yeah you definitely could have lived without Midsommar and Lion King. I know I'm outnumbered but fuck those movies. Good to see someone on my side, haha. Laundromat is surprising. That's supposed to be good, right?

2019 is "unquestionably going to be a better film year than 2017 and 2018"? I've been mostly disappointed so far, but I still have a long way to go. Being a better year than 2018 isn't much of an accomplishment, but 2017 will be hard to top.

Joker, I had fun with it. I liked it because there were multiple ways to interpret it. I saw it with two friends and afterwards we had an interesting discussion about what happened in the movie vs. what was imagined in his head. We came up with several unique theories. I dig movies like that. My one friend pointed out that it didn't have to be about the Joker character. The movie could've been about any fictional character who suffered from child abuse and mental illness, followed a similar plot structure, and would have still made a good movie, maybe even better. I agree with that. The movie also takes shots at our wealth gap and our mental health system. It ain't your typical comic book movie, for sure.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2019 20:50
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Yeah you definitely could have lived without Midsommar and Lion King. I know I'm outnumbered but fuck those movies. Good to see someone on my side, haha. Laundromat is surprising. That's supposed to be good, right?

Aren't all films? Laughing

And if it was, it wasn't Embarassed ... should've been though. A decent Panama Papers film staring Streep and Oldman should be an absolute knockout, but it was really lightweight drivel.

Yeah, Midsommar didn't do anything for me at all. I wrote a lengthy bit about it on Letterboxd, but basically my gist was that the film was an all around mess that I was lost as to why anyone would enjoy (and that it's waaaay too long). But oh well. Lion King would've be 2x better if they'd cut the songs (which is a weird note, because they're great songs, but my god the musical bits were weird and butchered). There's been some duds this year for sure (I think I've given out two 1-stars on my Letterboxd, which are kinda rare for me), and that's without even witnessing whatever horror Cats will be, but I still think there's a strong amount of quality releases about.

CA Dreamin wrote:

2019 is "unquestionably going to be a better film year than 2017 and 2018"? I've been mostly disappointed so far, but I still have a long way to go. Being a better year than 2018 isn't much of an accomplishment, but 2017 will be hard to top.

Thanks for filling in 'year' for me... typed too fast. Yeah... 2018 won't go down as a banger. Looking back, 2017's definitely a strong year, but my general point was that I'm looking forward to the fall season quite a bit. I didn't even mention Little Women, Hidden Life, 1917, The Two Popes, Bombshell... my queue is huge. There's also a fair amount of interesting international animated films that'll surface eventually I'm sure.

CA Dreamin wrote:

Joker, I had fun with it. I liked it because there were multiple ways to interpret it. I saw it with two friends and afterwards we had an interesting discussion about what happened in the movie vs. what was imagined in his head. We came up with several unique theories. I dig movies like that. My one friend pointed out that it didn't have to be about the Joker character. The movie could've been about any fictional character who suffered from child abuse and mental illness, followed a similar plot structure, and would have still made a good movie, maybe even better. I agree with that. The movie also takes shots at our wealth gap and our mental health system. It ain't your typical comic book movie, for sure.

I think the bolded bit is the point of Joker. It was supposed to be as realistic as possible. I'm going to have to give it another watch... I think I might enjoy it a bit more the second time around. The more I think about it the more I think I might've been a bit harsh on it (or had too high of expectations). Being said, I didn't think of it as a 'comic book' movie at all, and I'm shocked by the amount of people going into it with that mindset. Those who know Todd Phillips have said the film is a lot more his style than anything he's done before... I just hope his doesn't exploit the format moving forward (think... Adam Mckay, etc...). Cinematography's fantastic no matter what though.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2019 17:07
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Aren't all films? Laughing

And if it was, it wasn't Embarassed ... should've been though. A decent Panama Papers film staring Streep and Oldman should be an absolute knockout, but it was really lightweight drivel.

Yeah, Midsommar didn't do anything for me at all. I wrote a lengthy bit about it on Letterboxd, but basically my gist was that the film was an all around mess that I was lost as to why anyone would enjoy (and that it's waaaay too long). But oh well. Lion King would've be 2x better if they'd cut the songs (which is a weird note, because they're great songs, but my god the musical bits were weird and butchered). There's been some duds this year for sure (I think I've given out two 1-stars on my Letterboxd, which are kinda rare for me), and that's without even witnessing whatever horror Cats will be, but I still think there's a strong amount of quality releases about.
I recall Laudromat was in festivals and vying for awards. It has a respected cast and director, and good story. Seemed like it was gonna be good but I guess not. I also trashed Midsommar earlier in this thread. What an overly long, poorly written, non-scary, boring piece of shit. I agree with your letterbox'd review with the exception of the ★★½ you gave it. You're being generous dude.

Hayden wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Yeah... 2018 won't go down as a banger. Looking back, 2017's definitely a strong year, but my general point was that I'm looking forward to the fall season quite a bit. I didn't even mention Little Women, Hidden Life, 1917, The Two Popes, Bombshell... my queue is huge. There's also a fair amount of interesting international animated films that'll surface eventually I'm sure.
I only felt claiming 2019 will be stronger than the two previous years when it's only October and the year isn't over yet was a bit premature. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out.

Hayden wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I think the bolded bit is the point of Joker. It was supposed to be as realistic as possible. I'm going to have to give it another watch... I think I might enjoy it a bit more the second time around. The more I think about it the more I think I might've been a bit harsh on it (or had too high of expectations). Being said, I didn't think of it as a 'comic book' movie at all, and I'm shocked by the amount of people going into it with that mindset. Those who know Todd Phillips have said the film is a lot more his style than anything he's done before... I just hope his doesn't exploit the format moving forward (think... Adam Mckay, etc...). Cinematography's fantastic no matter what though.
Yeah, it featured comic book characters, but did not play like a comic book movie at all. Joker certainly felt more like a Polanski and/or Scorsese movie. Clearly the comic book connections were for the box office, cause, well, comic book movies are trendy (I want the trend to slow down a bit) and maybe that's why so many people were expecting something more traditional within that realm. Perhaps it will improve upon second viewing.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/22/2019 01:58
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I recall Laudromat was in festivals and vying for awards. It has a respected cast and director, and good story. Seemed like it was gonna be good but I guess not. I also trashed Midsommar earlier in this thread. What an overly long, poorly written, non-scary, boring piece of shit. I agree with your letterbox'd review with the exception of the ★★½ you gave it. You're being generous dude.

Yeah, it was at Venice (wasn't too hot of a reception there either). Killer cast, great story, but it's just a dud. It happens. Script just wasn't there. Give it a shot if you want though, it's on Netflix.

And yeah... Midsommar was overly long, poorly written, non-scary, and relatively boring. I'm lost as to all the perfect scores. As for my rating, (believe it or not) I'm a rather lenient critic. I'm not as harsh as others, even with similar opinions (maybe it's the Canadian in me, who knows). Maybe I'd lean towards a 2/5, but it had some elements I still thought were decent (including the score).

Being said, Paradise Hills landed a 1/5 from me Laughing utter garbage.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/22/2019 03:29
  • Post subject:
I'm fully behind my take that Midsommar is just an elaborate prequel to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, told from the point of view of Dakota Fanning's character. That's not a compliment.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/24/2019 01:53
  • Post subject:
The Lighthouse woot

Jojo Rabbit oof
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2019 06:20
  • Post subject:
So, as I've mentioned before, I've watched less movies over the past two years than I ever used to. I can't even name the movies I've seen in 2019, which i could probably count on a hand. However, when I saw, near the beginning of the year, that the dude who directed The Witch had a new movie coming out, I told myself that I was going to see it.

And see it I did. I am looking forward to seeing the discussions surrounding this film, and how it fairs with the genearal audience and if the academy nominates for anything. (Not that it really matters.) Just know that this particular viewer hasn't been enthralled by a movie in this way in quite awhile, and it stirred in me a fervor to watch again, if not for pleasure, at least for the enjoyment and appreciation of art.

Long story short, I agree with Hayden's woot.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/30/2019 04:34
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

And see it I did. I am looking forward to seeing the discussions surrounding this film, and how it fairs with the genearal audience and if the academy nominates for anything. (Not that it really matters.) Just know that this particular viewer hasn't been enthralled by a movie in this way in quite awhile, and it stirred in me a fervor to watch again, if not for pleasure, at least for the enjoyment and appreciation of art.

Long story short, I agree with Hayden's woot.

Glad you liked it. It's in my top 3 of the year with Parasite and Toy Story 4 (how's that for a trio...). I'd love to see it up for Best Picture, maybe cinematography, maybe even acting. Dafoe deserves an Oscar for SOMETHING. It's a great film. I think it'd also make a fantastic (and very doable) stageplay, which is probably because it feels like a stageplay turned into a movie, but regardless.

The press for The Lighthouse has been hilarious... Dafoe/Pattinson are quite the duo Laughing I've found almost all the backstory to the film quite funny (for such a serious work).

Hoping everyone sees it. Killer score too.

Also, it's exactly what Canada's like, for those wondering. Canada's 50% The Revenant, 50% The Lighthouse.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2019 23:17
  • Post subject:
Because Netflix produced The Irishman and they weren't able to come to terms with the major theater chains, the movie, opening yesterday, is only playing at a limited number of independent theaters. In the following weeks, It'll play in additional theaters before it starts streaming on Netlix on the 27th, but still just a small number overall. Are you going to see it in the theater? And whether you are or not, is it playing anywhere near you?

I'm going to catch it in the next few weeks, but I'm in NYC, and NYC and LA have at least a few more options than most areas.

Same story with Marriage Story -- limited release next Friday, goes to Netflix Dec. 6.
  • Visit poster's website