Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2020 04:20
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
^^Good to know someone else has seen The Art of Self Defense. Great movie. Although I'm not sure what to make of its #38 ranking.

Do you find it too low, or too high? Everything on the top 50 I adored.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/24/2020 04:31
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Movies I disliked and haven't put on the list: The Image Book, The Bread Factory, Endgame, Dogman, The Souvenir, Pain and Glory, Honeyland, Last Black Man in San Francisco, Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Sad Sad Sad

I like all of these (exception being Endgame, which I haven't seen).

Burning Cane's a great pick. Nice to see you liked it. I'll be putting Swallow and American Factory on my watchlist. Black Mother's already in the queue, just haven't gotten around to it. Where did you watch Leto?

And no love for Uncut Gems, Portrait of A Lady on Fire, Atlantiques, or The Lighthouse?

Watched Sorry We Missed You the other day. Easily one of 2019's best, and maybe even in Loach's top five. Going to see Cats now. Wish me luck.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2020 05:15
  • Post subject:
[quote="Hayden"]
Quote:

And no love for Uncut Gems, Portrait of A Lady on Fire, Atlantiques, or The Lighthouse?

Portrait doesn't come to Chicago until a few weeks from now, I hated Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse, and I found Atlantics just okay (I also didn't like Little Women). I think I'm returning to my "old Charli" contrarianism (maybe because I almost never see non-accalaimed movies these days, so some of them inevitably have to be underwhelming in comparison to the others). But I made a debut feature, and have an assembly cut of my sophomore feature, so I feel like, as an Actual Artist, I no longer need to justify my taste like I would if I was still a critic Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/24/2020 05:28
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

(I also didn't like Little Women)

To be fair, we have the same #1 and I thought Climax was one of the best films of 2018 (it'd land somewhere in my top 15 of 2019).

I haven't solidified my opinion on Little Women, I think I need to watch it again, but I'm almost glad to hear you didn't like it. I feel like people are blowing it waaaaay out of proportion. I gave it a 3/5 and wrote a fairly negative review for it that reads more like a 1.5/5. What did you think of the editing? Confused

Will get to the exciting final sentence in a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2020 06:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Applerill wrote:

(I also didn't like Little Women)

To be fair, we have the same #1 and I thought Climax was one of the best films of 2018 (it'd land somewhere in my top 15 of 2019).

I haven't solidified my opinion on Little Women, I think I need to watch it again, but I'm almost glad to hear you didn't like it. I feel like people are blowing it waaaaay out of proportion. I gave it a 3/5 and wrote a fairly negative review for it that reads more like a 1.5/5. What did you think of the editing? Confused

Will get to the exciting final sentence in a bit.

Yeah, I just found its perspective on womanhood to be way too cis, and so many black critics have already pointed out how lily-white it is. I won't deny that she's one of the best editors in Hollywood right now though.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/25/2020 05:32
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Portrait doesn't come to Chicago until a few weeks from now, I hated Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse, and I found Atlantics just okay (I also didn't like Little Women). I think I'm returning to my "old Charli" contrarianism (maybe because I almost never see non-accalaimed movies these days, so some of them inevitably have to be underwhelming in comparison to the others). But I made a debut feature, and have an assembly cut of my sophomore feature, so I feel like, as an Actual Artist, I no longer need to justify my taste like I would if I was still a critic Razz

Oh Apple, never change

Anyways I feel like a lot of the 2019 movies that have been buzzed about still have that certain something missing from them, at least from a personal standpoint, I mean I found Uncut Gems, Once...Hollywood, Little Women, The Lighthouse, Marriage Story all interesting and certainly well-made, but I'm not really finding a whole lot of strong enthusasim for any of them either (still all better than "Joker", though). Even "Parasite", which was pretty great in a lot of ways, still left me a little ambivilant at the end (though that probably needs a rewatch soon). Then again a film like The Irishman, which was far from a flawless release, did really hit close to home, as well as really likiing some other low-key releases like Genese and Diane, and the first two-thirds of a non-subtitled print of Portrait d'un Jeune Femme en Feu (long story). So donno, just have to come to terms that it's harder to get really enthused about new movies (or music, for that matter) these days, but still enjoy 'em regardless.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2020 07:58
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
So donno, just have to come to terms that it's harder to get really enthused about new movies (or music, for that matter) these days, but still enjoy 'em regardless.

When you say "these days," you mean the last few years, or more of a this century kind of thing?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/29/2020 05:15
  • Post subject:
I think most odds-on choices for the Oscars are pretty safe this year so I won't bother with a full list, but I'm going with these longshots:

Best Picture: Parasite
Animated Feature: Klaus
Documentary: For Sama
Makeup: Maleficent
Visual Effects: The Irishman

• Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2020 05:08
  • Post subject:
I was pleased with the results this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/10/2020 05:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I think most odds-on choices for the Oscars are pretty safe this year so I won't bother with a full list, but I'm going with these longshots:

Best Picture: Parasite
Animated Feature: Klaus
Documentary: For Sama
Makeup: Maleficent
Visual Effects: The Irishman

Nailed it.

Stoked for Bong. What a win. Didn't think he would get best director at all.
  • Visit poster's website