2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2019 07:54
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
However, is there a 'right time' for a movie like this? Mass shootings happen all the time

Absolutely, but El Paso and Dayton combined is an event on the level of Parkland and Sandy Hook -- perhaps even worse, considering the scares in Times Square and elsewhere.

Quote:
the political divide the movie is satirizing probably isn't going anywhere any time soon.

That means, except for right after a big-time mass shooting, there's never a wrong time for a movie like this. Very Happy

The Hunt trailer makes it seem like an updated version of The Most Dangerous Game, except instead of one apolitical elite, it's a bunch of liberal political elites. According to Wikipedia, the short story The Most Dangerous Game has been officially or unofficially adapted at least 10 times, and they include The Hunt.

Don't know if the filmmakers had heard of it, but it sort of flips the premise of Punishment Park (Peter Watkins; 1971) around. In Punishment Park, the federal government uses the McCarran Internal Security Act from 1950 to detain members of the antiwar, civil rights and feminist movements and forces them to run a gauntlet in the desert, hunted by cops and the National Guard. Definitely one of the most provocative films of the 70s -- played at the New York Film Festival, but the studios refused to distribute it. Think it was almost impossible to see till the DVD era. Very low-budget.

Damon Lindelof co-wrote The Hunt! So it's a liberal satirical take on what conservatives think is the kind of movie liberals would make?

It might turn up on streaming services like The Interview. I'd watch it -- looks amusing -- though I have to admit, once The Interview was made widely available to stream, I never got around to catching it.

Have to wonder if they were seriously considering the title Red Vs. Blue:

Hayden wrote:
America's a mess Laughing

Ain't it the truth... though England might've just gotten even worse.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2019 18:17
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Don't know if the filmmakers had heard of it, but it sort of flips the premise of Punishment Park (Peter Watkins; 1971) around. In Punishment Park, the federal government uses the McCarran Internal Security Act from 1950 to detain members of the antiwar, civil rights and feminist movements and forces them to run a gauntlet in the desert, hunted by cops and the National Guard. Definitely one of the most provocative films of the 70s -- played at the New York Film Festival, but the studios refused to distribute it. Think it was almost impossible to see till the DVD era. Very low-budget.

I want to see Punishment Park now.

PurpleHazel wrote:
Damon Lindelof co-wrote The Hunt! So it's a liberal satirical take on what conservatives think is the kind of movie liberals would make?

Maybe. That's what's hard to figure out. Some conservatives, including the president, are angry about The Hunt. But based on the trailer, the conservatives are the good guys in the movie, while the liberals are the bad guys, right? Isn't the movie also sending a pro-gun rights message?

PurpleHazel wrote:
It might turn up on streaming services like The Interview. I'd watch it -- looks amusing -- though I have to admit, once The Interview was made widely available to stream, I never got around to catching it.

Don't watch it. I was attracted to The Interview because of its controversy, but I watched it and it's fucking terrible. But yes, I think streaming may be the route The Hunt ends up taking. Either that, or a theatrical release several months from now after the gun debate and mourning from the shootings calm down.

PurpleHazel wrote:
Have to wonder if they were seriously considering the title Red Vs. Blue

The Hunt was supposedly titled 'Red State vs. Blue State'. No ambiguity there. That Halo series...[barf]
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 08:00
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Maybe. That's what's hard to figure out. Some conservatives, including the president, are angry about The Hunt.

POTUS doesn't get irony or levels of meaning. He and those conservatives will spin anything in a way that benefits them, no matter how upside-down it is.

Quote:
But based on the trailer, the conservatives are the good guys in the movie, while the liberals are the bad guys, right?

Yes, based on that trailer, I have no doubt that the average salt-of-the-earth folks in the movie are the good guys and the the rich liberal elites are the bad. Suppose they could pull some ironic twist at the end like Citizen Ruth.

Quote:
Isn't the movie also sending a pro-gun rights message?

Not necessarily more than a lot of action movies. I'm guessing the elites have all the good high tech shit like night vision goggles and the prey have to make do with whatever firearms they stumble across or yank away from the elites they just knocked out or killed. Hollywood version of the NRA motto: The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy yanking it from his hands as he beats the shit out of him with Hong Kong choreography.

CA Dreamin wrote:
I want to see Punishment Park now.

Think it's worthwhile to see because of the audacity of the premise and the depiction of the paranoia of the times. But it is low-budget enough that it's a detriment. It's shot like a documentary. It's no thriller -- they're really trying to explore what it'd be like if the U.S. started detaining all dissidents under this law that was still on the books. There are a few professional actors, but most of them are real law enforcement officers and soldiers on one side and college students and young people they picked up off the street on the other. Though this guy's in it:

• Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2019 07:53
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Some conservatives, including the president, are angry about The Hunt. But based on the trailer, the conservatives are the good guys in the movie, while the liberals are the bad guys, right?

POTUS doesn't get irony or levels of meaning. He and those conservatives will spin anything in a way that benefits them, no matter how upside-down it is. Yes, based on that trailer, I have no doubt that the average salt-of-the-earth folks in the movie are the good guys and the the rich liberal elites are the bad.

I think the POTUS had a good point when he tweeted how Hollywood creates so much violent imagery in our society, but then blame others for violence that happens in real life. And The Hunt got cancelled after that tweet. So the real irony could be that recent shootings plus the outcry from the conservatives led to The Hunt's cancellation, but the movie is actually on their side. Think

PurpleHazel wrote:
Hollywood version of the NRA motto: The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy yanking it from his hands as he beats the shit out of him with Hong Kong choreography.
Laughing

Anyway, speaking of violence in movies, I recently saw Midsommar and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday and today. One I liked, the other I hated (and wo/cheating by looking at my letterboxd, you can probably guess which). Anyone else see them, and want to share their thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2019 09:15
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I think the POTUS had a good point when he tweeted how Hollywood creates so much violent imagery in our society, but then blame others for violence that happens in real life.

Obviously those arguments have been around since the 80s, usually made by conservatives. But Canada is exposed to a lot more Hollywood movies than Canadian and they don't have the same problems.

Quote:
I recently saw Midsommar and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday and today. One I liked, the other I hated (and wo/cheating by looking at my letterboxd, you can probably guess which).

I'm guessing OUATIH is the one you hated, though the only clue I see in your post is the order you mention the movies and the order of the words "liked" and "hated."

I saw OUATIH a week ago and liked it quite a bit, but it's very flawed. The first three-quarters are way too long. Tarantino's greatest talent is for dialogue, but I now realize his best work in that area is usually within a genre context, like Christoph Waltz's dialogue in the first third of Django Unchained. But when it isn't within a strong plot structure, like the "hanging out" scenes in Death Proof (which I actually enjoy for some reason, though I know practically no one else did), which require more realistic sounding dialogue, it's not on the same level. The first three-quarters of OUATIH have been described as a "hanging out" movie, and the dialogue isn't his best -- the rambling structure doesn't play to his strengths. Though there are some strong moments -- and great homages to various aspects of film, filmmaking and Hollywood history -- the best scene before the ending is Cliff visiting Spahn ranch (not a hanging-out-type scene). Thought the ending was amazing and beautiful in its own way. It's the ending that elevates the film as a whole into the "very good" column for me, though it's not his best movie as some of his fans and cinephiles have claimed. Also there is no other film quite like it, both in QT's filmography and outside of it.

Why'd you dislike it, CA Dreamin (assuming you did)?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2019 03:05
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Quote:
I recently saw Midsommar and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday and today. One I liked, the other I hated (and wo/cheating by looking at my letterboxd, you can probably guess which).

I'm guessing OUATIH is the one you hated, though the only clue I see in your post is the order you mention the movies and the order of the words "liked" and "hated."

There was no intended clue in my post. The order of words was merely that I saw Midsommar first before I saw OUaTiH, and "liked" typically comes before "hated" in writing. I thought maybe someone could guess based on my taste preferences I've mentioned before. But anyway, props to you for not cheating by looking at the LB, haha. I thoroughly enjoyed OUaTiH. Midsommar was terrible.

PurpleHazel wrote:
I saw OUATIH a week ago and liked it quite a bit, but it's very flawed. The first three-quarters are way too long. Tarantino's greatest talent is for dialogue, but I now realize his best work in that area is usually within a genre context, like Christoph Waltz's dialogue in the first third of Django Unchained. But when it isn't within a strong plot structure, like the "hanging out" scenes in Death Proof (which I actually enjoy for some reason, though I know practically no one else did), which require more realistic sounding dialogue, it's not on the same level. The first three-quarters of OUATIH have been described as a "hanging out" movie, and the dialogue isn't his best -- the rambling structure doesn't play to his strengths. Though there are some strong moments -- and great homages to various aspects of film, filmmaking and Hollywood history -- the best scene before the ending is Cliff visiting Spahn ranch (not a hanging-out-type scene). Thought the ending was amazing and beautiful in its own way. It's the ending that elevates the film as a whole into the "very good" column for me, though it's not his best movie as some of his fans and cinephiles have claimed. Also there is no other film quite like it, both in QT's filmography and outside of it.

I can see how OUaTiH felt like a drag for some. However, the rambling, plotless structure worked for me because the recreated 1960s Hollywood atmosphere, and the interesting characters within it, were so appealing to me, I didn't mind spending extra running time. Granted, this may feel like a drag upon a second viewing now that I know how everything unfolds. But for the first viewing, it was great and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course, living in LA, and working in film certainly helped. Seeing the streets/landmarks and knowing exactly where they are, and the various homages to "filmmaking and Hollywood history", it hit very close to home for me (literally). OUaTiH also kinda felt like a Linklater film, in the sense that it's a "hanging out" movie that follows characters and their experiences instead of a traditional plot structure. I also liked how QT tamed down his own fetish for violence. Essentially, how OUaTiH differs from a typical QT movie is precisely what I liked so much about it. And I certainly think it's easily one of his best three films along with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Midsommar...ugh. Fucking terrible. Wish I could get those three hours of life back. If you're not a fan of Hereditary, don't watch it. You will hate it too because it follows a similar structure but it's much worse in every sense. If you thought the ending of Hereditary was dumb, Midsommar will make you want to beat yourself to a coma. But if you are a fan Hereditary, and curious to see the director's follow-up, you'll likely have a higher opinion of Midsommar than I do, but should still feel it's nowhere near the level of Hereditary.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2019 03:53
  • Post subject:
Just saw that Punishment Park was mentioned here. A fun exploitation/mockumentary that bit off a little more than it could chew. I'd say that it's more of a good time capsule than a good movie at this point.

Edit:

"America's a mess."

Not anymore than usual. I'm doing pretty well here in the middle. Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/19/2019 20:30
  • Post subject:
I don't remember the last time my most hyped movie was an Adam Sandler film (because... I don' think it ever has been...), but Uncut Gems could be massive. Looking forward to reactions of it premiering.

'Heavy-hitter'-wise, also looking forward to these:

Irishman (Scorsese)
Marriage Story (Baumbach)
Joker (Phillips)
Little Women (Gerwig)
The Lighthouse (Eggers)
Jojo Rabbit (Waititi)
The Laundromat (Soderbergh)

And a slew of international releases I'm sure won't see the light of Internet until mid-2020.

Any other fall films to get hyped on?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2019 22:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I don't remember the last time my most hyped movie was an Adam Sandler film (because... I don' think it ever has been...), but Uncut Gems could be massive. Looking forward to reactions of it premiering.

'Heavy-hitter'-wise, also looking forward to these:

Irishman (Scorsese)
Marriage Story (Baumbach)
Joker (Phillips)
Little Women (Gerwig)
The Lighthouse (Eggers)
Jojo Rabbit (Waititi)
The Laundromat (Soderbergh)

I can't get excited about a movie starring Adam Sandler. He's a terrible actor outside of comedy. But same director as Good Time...okay I'm a little curious. Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Lighthouse, Laundromat...yeah, I'm interested. I'll keep an eye out for them. Marriage Story and Joker, would need some convincing to watch them. Little Women, I'll almost certainly pass. I've seen the George Cukor and Winona Ryder versions, not my cup of tea. But wasn't there an adaptation just last year, or the year before? How many times does it need to be made?

Hayden wrote:
Any other fall films to get hyped on?

Pain and Glory - This is currently the title I'm most looking forward to. I love Almodóvar movies. Although it's been released in several countries already, we gotta wait til October here in the states. But I think the wait will be worth it!

Knives Out and 1917 - Rian Johnson and Sam Mendes have finally escaped from Star Wars and Bond. Hopefully their first non-franchise films in nearly a decade will deliver.

Parasite - Another movie already released outside the states. Coming here in October. I find this director's movies overrated, but still good. I'll try to check this out.

Zombieland 2 - I didn't ask for this sequel. But hey, it could be fun.

Motherless Brooklyn - Could be good. It's got a good cast and crew.

I'm sure there are other titles I'm not aware of yet.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/19/2019 23:04
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Pain and Glory - This is currently the title I'm most looking forward to. I love Almodóvar movies. Although it's been released in several countries already, we gotta wait til October here in the states. But I think the wait will be worth it!

Parasite - Another movie already released outside the states. Coming here in October. I find this director's movies overrated, but still good. I'll try to check this out.

My #1 & 2 of 2019 so far (Parasite's a runaway #1 though).

Pain And Glory will most likely go over fairly well in the American market. The plot's perhaps not as big and punchy as the cinematography or Banderas's performance, but everything comes from the heart. It's the exact type of film you'd want to see Almodovar make at this point in his career. I can see it sticking in my top 10 of the year.

Parasite on the other hand is an absolute knockout. I've been trying to work out a write-up for it, but haven't gotten around to it. Really glad Bong won the Palme D'or. As far as South Korean films go, it's up there with Oldboy, The Handmaiden, and (also his) Memories of Murder. Oddly, it has a lot of similar themes to Shoplifters, but it's simply nowhere near as subtle about them Laughing

It's one of those films that has everything going for it. Comedy, drama, politics, family, action, mystery, suspense, creativity, excellent art direction and imagery... I could go on. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bong at the Oscars. It's an extremely universal film.
  • Visit poster's website