2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/30/2019 15:47
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Yeah imdb's list is garbage. Haven't looked at it in years.

Quote:
And only 5% are from before 1970. Useless as a GOAT list, though it's a great gauge of the tastes of young men on the internet.

Quote:
"Just bringing it up because it's 'consensus'"

I'm also not a huge fan of IMDb's list... I tried not to mention it tooooo much. Letterboxd's top 250 is far better. Just figured it was worth mentioning in defence of 1994.

Quote:
Okay, time out. I'm usually one to keep conversation on topic with the thread, but 1977 was not a great year for movies. Had to get that out. Now, back on topic...

And I'll take that point over 1994. I just like 1977. Think it has plenty of gems.

Quote:
Jojo Rabbit turned out to be bullshit, right? (according to you anyway, I still haven't seen it)

I wrote this blurb prior, which sums up my opinion:

Quote:
It's a bold concept, and I'm all up for mocking Hitler, but it misses satire, it misses parody, it misses comedy, it misses drama... Jojo Rabbit is a war drama with awkwardly forced jokes scribbled overtop. The juxtaposition between the film's three segments is more than jarring, it's bad judgement. It's Schindler's List directed by Wes Anderson with a Seth Rogen script. 'Hilariously devastating' isn't a thing. This isn't a funny story. It's an unpleasant work. How did we end up with a 'yeah, but not all Nazis' scene?

I found it a really uncomfortable film Confused I'm with the critics on this one. I consider myself an open-minded person, and I thought it was in terrible taste. Give it a watch and see what you think yourself (people do seem to be liking it... so... yeah). That's why I put it under the 'some people might say' category. I'm not sure how Jojo Rabbit will age... could either vanish fast or become a cult hit or something. I'm fond of Taika Waititi's previous films (especially What We Do In Shadows, which is maybe a decade-best comedy), but Jojo wasn't for me. Unless you think people saying "Heil Hitler' amongst each other for a solid minute is somehow laugh-out-loud funny, I haven't a clue who I would recommend it to.

Being said, definitely don't go into it with a cement opinion. You may dig it. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

EDIT: Feel like I should add Jojo Rabbit's based on a dramatic novel, not a comedy Confused
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2019 01:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Just figured it was worth mentioning in defence of 1994.

Quote:
1977 was not a great year for movies.

And I'll take that point over 1994. I just like 1977. Think it has plenty of gems.

1994 was a better year for American movies than I thought -- is a "noteworthy" year, but since I think a lot of those "IMDb movies" are overrated if not outright bad, it's only borderline "best year" for me. The best foreign film year of the 90s, but a list of best foreign film years doesn't line up with a list of best American film ones much.

After a little research, I think that 1974 through 1976 are great years; frankly they beat out any year since.
Quote:
Quote:
It's a bold concept, and I'm all up for mocking Hitler, but it misses satire, it misses parody, it misses comedy, it misses drama... Jojo Rabbit is a war drama with awkwardly forced jokes scribbled overtop. 'Hilariously devastating' isn't a thing. This isn't a funny story. It's an unpleasant work.

I found it a really uncomfortable film Confused I'm with the critics on this one. I consider myself an open-minded person, and I thought it was in terrible taste.

EDIT: Feel like I should add Jojo Rabbit's based on a dramatic novel, not a comedy Confused

Sounds terrible. Obviously, Nazi comedies are a very ticklish venture. Life is Beautiful more-or-less pulls off the tragicomedy thing, but not everyone's going to get the delicate balance right.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2019 02:04
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
After a little research, I found that 1974 through 1976 are great years; frankly they beat out any year since.
Interesting. When I look at my LB, I find the best years from the 70s were 71, 73, and 79. Funny how we get to different conclusions on this topic.

In regards to 1994, Hayden, you were doing a fine job demonstrating it was a great year for movies...until you leaned on imdb to support your claim, haha. I think in mine and PH's eyes, that actually weakened your case. But from your list alone, yes it was indeed a great year cinema.

Anyway, back to 2019, I saw this movie last night - El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
(I had to fix the title.)
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2019 03:41
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Sounds terrible. Obviously, Nazi comedies are a very ticklish venture. Life is Beautiful more-or-less pulls off the tragicomedy thing, but not everyone's going to get the delicate balance right.

After a little research, I think that 1974 through 1976 are great years; frankly they beat out any year since.

Yeah, just extract the worst of Life Is Beautiful and imagine the delicate bits of subject matter were shaken in a bag and thrown onto a page and some half-jake was slabbed on top. I really don't get it. I'm shocked it isn't the pan-of-the-year.

Bizarre... I think '76 was actually quite weak Laughing Possibly the weakest of all the 70s. The only films I've seen from that year that I like are Taxi Driver, The Fifth Seal, Cria Cuervos and Insiang. I like Network enough too I suppose, but that's about it for me (will note I've never seen Carrie). Taxi Driver's possibly my fav from the 70s overall, but it doesn't hold up an entire year for me.

Quote:
Interesting. When I look at my LB, I find the best years from the 70s were 71, 73, and 79. Funny how we get to different conclusions on this topic.

79 was also a banger. Three Palme D'ors and Stalker to boot (also the very underappreciated Wise Blood).

El Camino was aight. Probably as good as two lesser Breaking Bad episodes. Worst part about it was its pointlessness.

Anyway, yeah, back to 2019. Brazil's Oscar pick (Invisible Life) is getting some positive buzz. Hadn't heard of it prior, but it's going in my queue. Going to watch Atlantics sometime tomorrow.

Any favourite standout scores from the year so far?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/03/2019 20:22
  • Post subject:
A Rainy Day In New York - bad

Bacurau - bonkers
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2019 21:25
  • Post subject:
Anyone have any thoughts on the Golden Globe nominations that came out yesterday?

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2019 21:48
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the Golden Globe nominations that came out yesterday?

Thought they were good apart from the bizarre snub of When They See Us. The supporting actor category is crazy stacked this year... there's about 12-15 strong contenders, and any given year I'd say 4-5 of them would snag an Oscar with ease. Little sad not to see Dafoe nominated, but that's that I suppose. Haven't watched The Two Popes yet, so can't say anything about it.

I'd go:
Drama - Marriage Story
Comedy - Knives Out
D Actor - Driver
D Actress - Johansson
C Actor - Egerton
C Actress - Awkwafina
S Actor - Pitt
S Actress - Lopez
Director - Bong
Original Song - Tswizzle
Animated - Toy Story (they'll give it to The Lion King *shivers*)
Foreign - Parasite (surprised to see Les Miserables up there, but I don't know how the nom process works)

Interesting to see USA up for Foreign Language. Think it's a (well deserved) first?

And then there's TV n stuff.

Marriage Story's a beast.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2019 21:55
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Marriage Story's a beast.

Agreed, I have seen a fair amount of Baumbach's films at this point so I figured I knew what to expect from this, but it absolutely blew me away. If it won every award it was nominated for it wouldn't bother me in the least.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/10/2019 22:05
  • Post subject:
Knives Out for comedy? Is it really that shallow a pool this year?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2019 22:57
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Knives Out for comedy? Is it really that shallow a pool this year?

Considering Cats wasn't nominated under 'musical' when the GG always push musicals, I'm terrified on how bad it must be.

I'm cool with Knives Out for comedy. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is a major stretch though. I think Rocketman qualified as a musical.
  • Visit poster's website