Get To Know A Top 10: May 2019 Thread - Tha1ChiefRocka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki by Yamasuki Singers
0%
 0%  [0]
Mistérios Da Amazônia by Carioca & Devas
11%
 11%  [1]
The October Suite by Steve Kuhn
11%
 11%  [1]
Continente Nero by Piero Umiliani
11%
 11%  [1]
Beguiled by Tim Story
11%
 11%  [1]
Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The End Of The Day' / Terrains Vagues by Thomas Dausgaard / Danish National Symphony Orchestra
0%
 0%  [0]
UV by Frankenstein
0%
 0%  [0]
Queen Hygiene II / Rough Day At The Orifice by Arab On Radar
11%
 11%  [1]
Glide by Peter Davison
11%
 11%  [1]
Exploded View by Steve Tibbetts
33%
 33%  [3]
Total Votes : 9

Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 01:27
  • Post subject:
UV - I don’t care much for hip hop. It has to be exceptional, otherwise I get bored. The average sounding material on this album didn’t reach the threshold.

Queen Hygiene II/Rough Day At The Orifice - I was 17 or 18 when this came out. I’ve never heard it, but it sounds just like something that I would have heard playing live in a local club or on vinyl at a coffeehouse. So, it was a nostalgic listen for me, in a way, and a fun one. I’ve mostly moved on from this kind of music, but I might playlist “99c Lipstick”. Catchy riff.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 03:42
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Exploded View by Steve Tibbetts

Dynamic and varied guitar playing and pulsing percussion make this a really great album. I don't have much else to say about it, I find this guy's stuff to be pretty unique. The guitar playing on the first track is definitely Fripp-inspired, and it's amazing.

This is great! Really genre-bending, sitting in a unique sonic space throughout. RYM says it's jazz fusion + new age, and I can't say I've ever heard that combo before. The composition and execution are both top shelf. The list went out with a bang and now I am having a hard time choosing a favorite, but I think this might take the title.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 03:54
  • Post subject:
Here's my ranking. First, it's very rough and could easily change quite a bit with another run through the list. Second, the differences in my preference between my top three in particular are minuscule. All three are great records that have expanded my horizons with regard to new age. Not sure if its recency bias or if each really did surpass the one before. Third, it's pretty remarkable how this list ended up having at least one release in each of my rating categories from 1.5/5 to 4/5. I guess you were right that there would be stuff to love and hate. Fourth, #9 would have been in the top five if it existed in a vacuum.

Great:

1. Exploded View - Steve Tibbetts
2. Glide - Peter Davison
3. Beguiled - Tim Story
4. The October Suite - Steve Kuhn

Quite Good:

5. Mistérios Da Amazônia - Carioca & Devas
6. Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The End Of The Day' / Terrains Vagues - Thomas Dausgaard / Danish National Symphony Orchestra

Pretty Good:

7. Continente Nero - Piero Umiliani

Okay:

8. UV - Frankenstein

Pretty Bad:

9. Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki - Yamasuki Singers

Quite Bad:

10. Queen Hygiene II / Rough Day At The Orifice - Arab On Radar
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2019 04:18
  • Post subject:
Cool, cool, glad to see these random albums have been some good listens for some. I'll have to put up my other chart of additions for another time! Very Happy

I'll still be mentioning some other albums on this chart for the remainder of the month. Give them a listen if you want to. Wink
  • Visit poster's website
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 05/22/2019 16:54
  • Post subject:
My ranking would go:

1. Beguiled
2. Glide
3. Exploded View

4. UV
5. Continente Nero
6. The October Suite
7. Mistérios Da Amazônia
8. Symphony No. 6 'At The End Of The Day' / Terrains Vagues

9. Queen Hygiene II / Rough Day At The Orifice
10. Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki

The tree at the top are really great and the two at the bottom are really poor. I couldn't relate much to Nørgård's symphony, but I never really liked this kind of stuff.

That was another cool chart, even if some albums were quite random (that's also what makes it good).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2019 17:00
  • Post subject:
Glide - This was the best of the new age material. The music was varied, and the instrumentation used created a few nice textures and moods. This may not be something I revisit, but it was still a pleasant listen.

Exploded View - This was exceptional. Calling the first track Fripp-inspired makes a lot of sense - I instantly thought of “Triad” by Tool, another King Crimson follower. The percussion by Marc Anderson was fantastic. Not surprising that he’s recorded/played with an impressive list of musicians: Don Cherry, Max Roach, Taj Mahal, and Robert Fripp (there he is, again). This album opened a nice little rabbit hole of music for me to explore. Hopefully, Tibbett’s other albums are this good.

————

1. Exploded View
2. Per Nørgård’s Symphony
3. Mistérios Da Amazônia

4. The October Suite
5. Queen Hygiene II

6. Glide
7. Continente Nero
8. UV

9. Beguiled
10. Le Monde Fabuleaux

Great chart, man. I was a bit wary at first...I thought the list looked daunting and I wasn’t sure I’d like anything. I found three, plus some others to explore. It looks like the previous lists weren’t so challenging, but I think now I’ll be better prepared for an obscure list. I’m kind of hoping for more lists like this.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2019 17:34
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
Great chart, man. I was a bit wary at first...I thought the list looked daunting and I wasn’t sure I’d like anything. I found three, plus some others to explore. It looks like the previous lists weren’t so challenging, but I think now I’ll be better prepared for an obscure list. I’m kind of hoping for more lists like this.

You might want to check out Tap's thread, and to a lesser extent, SquishypuffDave's or Luigii's.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2019 18:00
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
You might want to check out Tap's thread, and to a lesser extent, SquishypuffDave's or Luigii's.

Agreed.

Hey, here's another one while I'm still on the clock.

Lyn Christopher by Lyn Christopher

This album is decent, but it has one all-time funk/soul track that everyone should know, "Take Me With You".

Link

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley pre-Kiss fame also provide some backing vocals on some tracks for an added value.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/26/2019 18:58
  • Post subject:
This guy goes to 11, so I checked out one more:

Out Of The Background by Francy Boland

My natural impulse was to compare this to The October Suite, and they are stylistically tangential while only coming a year apart. I’m also not familiar with as much jazz as I’d like to be, so my frame of reference isn’t great. I did think this was a better record than October Suite, though. To me, Boland seemed to blow Kuhn out of the water on piano, and the album was a lot livelier with a lot of interesting textures. The samba-esque percussion was a nice touch. Great record for certain parties or gatherings. “Childhood Dreams” remains my top track from either, however.

I also played the first two and last two tracks from that Lyn Christopher record. “Take Me With You” far exceeded my expectations for it. “Billy Come Down” was solid, but not great. I’ll get to the other tracks and some point to see what else I can cull.

Blues For The Viet Cong and The Devil Is Loose also both looked interesting and are now in the queue.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2019 03:58
  • Post subject:
Hey, why not one more before times up for me?

This will really rock your socks off.

Thriller by Part Chimp

What a badass album cover. Some jetpack-equipped, lazer gu-wielding dude is shooting what looks like the undead in some hellscape. It reminds me of Doom.
  • Visit poster's website