Get To Know A Top 10: May 2019 Thread - Tha1ChiefRocka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki by Yamasuki Singers
0%
 0%  [0]
Mistérios Da Amazônia by Carioca & Devas
11%
 11%  [1]
The October Suite by Steve Kuhn
11%
 11%  [1]
Continente Nero by Piero Umiliani
11%
 11%  [1]
Beguiled by Tim Story
11%
 11%  [1]
Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The End Of The Day' / Terrains Vagues by Thomas Dausgaard / Danish National Symphony Orchestra
0%
 0%  [0]
UV by Frankenstein
0%
 0%  [0]
Queen Hygiene II / Rough Day At The Orifice by Arab On Radar
11%
 11%  [1]
Glide by Peter Davison
11%
 11%  [1]
Exploded View by Steve Tibbetts
33%
 33%  [3]
Total Votes : 9

Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2019 01:41
  • Post subject:
Agreed with both of the above sentiments for this great symphony. People aren't generally thinking about symphonies composed at the end of the 20th century, and I think that Norgard is an underrated dude. That tension that Bay mentions and the power that Fischman brings up are two of the qualities I enjoy it for as well. The other "Terrains Vagues" thing is good to, but the Symphony is why added this recording.

Only two more for me to talk about, and then I'm just going to talk about other albums in the chart for the rest of the month, because that's just what kind of ass I am. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2019 03:44
  • Post subject:
I’ve gone through the first four.

Le Monde Fabuleaux Des Yamasuki - I’ll agree with others that this album is a bit racist. Even with that aside, this album doesn’t suit my tastes. “Yamamoto Kakapote” and “Aisere I Love You” I couldn’t even finish.

Mistérios Da Amazônia - This album suits me nicely. I liked both sides just fine, particularly the title track on the second side. The guitar playing isn’t earth-shattering, but it’s competent and suits the album’s intention. Lovely album.

The October Suite - I don’t listen to a ton of jazz, and this album probably won’t send me running for more. Maybe my ear isn’t tuned for jazz, but the album seemed to be a bit monotonous. It picked up for me big time with “Childhood Dreams”, which I thought was lovely.

Continente Nero - This album didn’t cause me to cringe like I did with the first album, but I’d still consider it ersatz goods, just the same. It seems to be doing to many different things, and none of them well. I listen to a healthy amount of African music, so this seemed sub-standard in comparison.

Sorry if I’m being overly critical. I am a little surprised with myself that I’m even participating in an exercise like this, since I would say I’m a little stubborn about venturing outside my comfort zone. Please don’t beat me.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2019 14:25
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Sorry if I’m being overly critical. I am a little surprised with myself that I’m even participating in an exercise like this, since I would say I’m a little stubborn about venturing outside my comfort zone. Please don’t beat me.

No worries man. As the chart name implies, these are just albums that I have added to the site, and they are by no means my favorites*, and those are all fair assessments. We're glad to have you participate. Next month you can put your chart into the mix, and maybe someday we'll get to your albums!

*The two that do appear on my overall chart are great, but my chart in it's current form is more an experiment.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2019 03:22
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
Continente Nero - This album didn’t cause me to cringe like I did with the first album, but I’d still consider it ersatz goods, just the same. It seems to be doing to many different things, and none of them well. I listen to a healthy amount of African music, so this seemed sub-standard in comparison.

Just listened to this one and I mostly agree, minus the crossed out sentence.

Umiliani is very talented and I discovered some of his great music while on my library music kick last summer. Like this:

To-Day's Sound by Piero Umiliani

In contrast with To-Day's Sound, Continente Nero lacks a feeling of vibrance. With the title using the classic European phrase to indicate Africa as a shadowy, amorphous concept, it is no surprise that the music interacts with its influences at arm's length, absent much of the spark they contain. However, this is enjoyable background music and is clearly competently made, even if it's missing a secret sauce.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2019 15:28
  • Post subject:

UV by Frankenstein

This is a pretty good, not great, EP from an obscure Canadian hip hop artist, so take that for what it's worth. Some good instrumentals on a couple tracks, but his lyricism leaves plenty to be desired.

*Hey, Fischman, this is not a hip hop album that's going to change your opinion on the genre, so if you want to pick another album on the chart to listen to. Very Happy

Here's another jazz one to listen to.

Variety Is The Spice by The Louis Hayes Group
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2019 15:51
  • Post subject:
Frankeinstein ain't workin' for me.

Time to move on.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2019 21:57
  • Post subject:

Glide by Peter Davison

Wow, another sublime new age album - well-chosen! I dig the progressive electronic influence. The more relaxing and understated albums in this thread have all happened to be the standouts so far imo.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2019 22:23
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Glide by Peter Davison

Wow, another sublime new age album - well-chosen! I dig the progressive electronic influence. The more relaxing and understated albums in this thread have all happened to be the standouts so far imo.

Great!

I suppose you all may notice that this is on my current overall chart. Is this really the 4th greatest album of all time? Of course not. However, I've listened to this album dozens of times now, and each time it puts me at ease almost immediately.

If you check out this guy's website http://www.peterdavison.com/ you can see that he's spent most of his career, after the 90s, specifically composing music for "yoga and relaxation". I'm sure that a lot people out in Cali have heard a piece of music composed by my guy Pete, who has smartly marketed himself as this kind of thing became more popular.

I like this album, because it seems like 6 different songs about the same concept of flight. Each one is just different enough to provide enough variety while feeling like a whole piece of music. It just makes me contented. Very Happy Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2019 17:16
  • Post subject:
Feel free to continue the discussion on the top albums, but I'll indulge myself and talk about some more from this list for the remainder of the month. Some of these I only listened to once or twice, so it's probably a good idea to go back and give them a listen.

Starting with...

Cool Music by Water Melon Group

Another Japanese album that defies any and all expectations and creates something new and original. I don't know exactly how to categorize it, but if you liked playing with Mario Paint as a kid, then you'll probably like it.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2019 21:47
  • Post subject:
Here's the original version of UV from 1997:

Link

Will update the tracklist accordingly, which is currently for the 1998 reissue.