Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/14/2019 19:33
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:

Sings by Patty Waters (10293)
I think this should be in the top 1000 based solely on the strength of “Black Is The Color Of My True Love’s Hair”. The rest of the album being good is just a bonus.

Ooh, this is arty ! : )
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/14/2019 20:10
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

@Hayden Are you referring to that article critiquing BEA?

I am, and that should've been outed*. My bad.

Quote:
Quite simply...not enough people care to listen to all of this stuff...

Isn't the purpose of BEA that everyone gets their own opinion about what is best? That's the purpose of having your own charts. As for an "anything but rock binge"...I would never be in support of that. Simply because I will not be told what music to listen to or not listen to. Ever.

Quote:
No one is telling you what to listen to... I believe Hayden is hoping any genre but rock will increase in popularity.

Surprised you're against that Romanelli. Baystate got my point, I just want to see people enjoying a broader spectrum of genres. We have a (what? 80% rock?) top 1,000. Just because the artists I mentioned don't have a bigger PR team than say U2, Muse, Metallica or Iron Maiden, to snag people's attention, doesn't mean they haven't made records that are above or beyond par with material in our top 1,000. If people don't care enough, that doesn't mean you flatline prospects of trying to get people to care. Just because someone's a picky eater doesn't mean you have to stop trying to get them out of their comfort zone. I'm just listing some friendly recommendations.

If your issue is with the anything-but-rock binge, it's not anti-rock (nor am I anti-rock), it's just to put a few more records in people's ears.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 20:44
  • Post subject:
Just taking a quick look at ones that are close to getting into the top 1000, I found some good candidates.

Mr. Bungle- California 1008
Cafe Tacuba- Re 1030
Bad Brains- Bad Brains 1037
Boredoms- Vision Creation Newsun 1042
Dead Can Dance- Within The Realm of A Dying Sun 1075
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 21:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

@Hayden Are you referring to that article critiquing BEA?

I am, and that should've been outed*. My bad.

Quote:
Quite simply...not enough people care to listen to all of this stuff...

Isn't the purpose of BEA that everyone gets their own opinion about what is best? That's the purpose of having your own charts. As for an "anything but rock binge"...I would never be in support of that. Simply because I will not be told what music to listen to or not listen to. Ever.

Quote:
No one is telling you what to listen to... I believe Hayden is hoping any genre but rock will increase in popularity.

Surprised you're against that Romanelli. Baystate got my point, I just want to see people enjoying a broader spectrum of genres. We have a (what? 80% rock?) top 1,000. Just because the artists I mentioned don't have a bigger PR team than say U2, Muse, Metallica or Iron Maiden, to snag people's attention, doesn't mean they haven't made records that are above or beyond par with material in our top 1,000. If people don't care enough, that doesn't mean you flatline prospects of trying to get people to care. Just because someone's a picky eater doesn't mean you have to stop trying to get them out of their comfort zone. I'm just listing some friendly recommendations.

If your issue is with the anything-but-rock binge, it's not anti-rock (nor am I anti-rock), it's just to put a few more records in people's ears.

You do add a lot of albums from other countries to the db...and yet they don't seem to be on any charts, including your own. Your overall chart is over 60% from major English speaking countries (US, UK, CA, AU), so it surprises me a bit that you would be so negative about the content of the overall chart. You want people to care, and you want to boost those albums? I would think that, given the fact that you often add 20-40 albums from other countries to the site in a single day that your charts would reflect that taste a bit more than it does. You really want people to care more and improve the exposure of that music? I would think your charts would be loaded with those albums. That really is kind of the point of BEA, isn't it? That really is how we try to improve an album's chart positions...by having them on our charts and lifting their on site profiles.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/14/2019 22:50
  • Post subject:
Quote:
You do add a lot of albums from other countries to the db...and yet they don't seem to be on any charts, including your own. Your overall chart is over 60% from major English speaking countries (US, UK, CA, AU), so it surprises me a bit that you would be so negative about the content of the overall chart. You want people to care, and you want to boost those albums? I would think that, given the fact that you often add 20-40 albums from other countries to the site in a single day that your charts would reflect that taste a bit more than it does. You really want people to care more and improve the exposure of that music? I would think your charts would be loaded with those albums. That really is kind of the point of BEA, isn't it? That really is how we try to improve an album's chart positions...by having them on our charts and lifting their on site profiles.

Hayden wrote:

Fela Kuti
Max Roach
Mum
Sun Ra
Nina Simone
Ali Farka Touré
Pharcyde

Hank Mobley
The Books
Duke Ellington
Ennio Morricone

Arthur Russell's Another Thought not cracking our top 5,000 would be an added personal disappointment.

All the bolded above have an album on my overall list, not to mention multiple entries in lower charts Confused I'd be happy to throw an Ellington or Morricone release in my top 100, and if I had a top 1,000, by all means, they'd have multiple entries. The question was what outside of our top 1,000 deserves to be in it, and that was my list. If the countries I mentioned are of personal issue, there's albums from India, Norway and Belgium in my top 100, and if I had a top 1,000 there would surely be more (I couldn't see there being any less than a dozen from Poland). I excluded Jamaica because it does have some entries in our top 1,000, but 3 albums is still paltry.

Quote:
I only count 15 jazz artists who're in the top 1000.

If you want to stick American, like PurpleHazel, I also agree we need more jazz in our top 1,000. I didn't mean to sound anti-American/western when I asked for BEA to spend some time seeking out non-rock albums. By all means, throw in some more hip-hop, blues, funk, soul, etc...

Last edited by Hayden on 05/14/2019 23:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 22:55
  • Post subject:
Why does this have to be so personal?

Not sure how 63% is hypocrisy when the overall chart is 84% those four countries. And obviously an individual can’t use an overall chart of 100 albums to support all the albums they think should be in the top 1000.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 22:55
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:

Love It To Death by Alice Cooper

IMO one of the best garage rock albums.

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 22:59
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Just taking a quick look at ones that are close to getting into the top 1000, I found some good candidates.

Mr. Bungle- California 1008
Cafe Tacuba- Re 1030
Bad Brains- Bad Brains 1037
Boredoms- Vision Creation Newsun 1042
Dead Can Dance- Within The Realm of A Dying Sun 1075

Nice!!! I'm extremely psyched that those are so close. Smile Especially Bad Brains & Mr. Bungle!
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2019 23:21
  • Post subject:
These are some surprising absentees in my (severely outdated) overall chart that I certainly think wouldn't be considered out of place if they were inside the top 1000.

Nujabes - Modal Soul (honestly top 1000 still wouldn't do this justice, try top 500...at least)
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
The Upsetters - Super Ape
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Bob Marley - Natty Dread
Chick Corea - Return To Forever
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3 (wayyyy better than 2, not sure how RTJ2 is in the top 500, while RTJ3 is barely inside the top 2000)
anything by Earl Sweatshirt
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2019 00:07
  • Post subject:
My top 100 has 65 within the top 1000 and 35 outside of it. 78 are in the top 2000, so I'll focus on the other 22 that aren't even close.

Blowout Comb by Digable Planets would seem to be a good candidate, a hair outside the top 2k on just 111 votes. And their other album Reachin' is also inside the top 3k on just 58 votes. I'm also convinced that Confusion by Fela would be very high in the charts as opposed to outside the top 6k if as many tried it as tried more established canon works. It only has 30 votes!

P.S. I'm at 89% from those big four Anglo countries, so my top 100 is more skewed than BEA's top 1000.