Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2019 08:53
  • Post subject: Various Artists Country Fields
hello!

this isn't a feature that needs to be instituted right away, but I've noticed that the default nationality for any album that is by a number of Various Artists is 'Mixed Nationality', but I was wondering if the nationality field could be changed for albums that are compilations of a specific scene or genre with a distinct geographical affiliation, where all the artists in question are of the same nationality?
This sprung to mind when I saw that this compilation of Japanese new age artists that was released this year
Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Envir... 1980-1990 had the nationality field of Mixed Nationality, when really this isn't representative of the release.

Other releases that popped into my head for which this would apply would be Tropicália: Ou Panis Et Circencis and No New York. I get that it would be very hard to keep track of given you'd have to be aware of the nationalities of the individual artists within the compilation, but maybe if the default was Mixed Nationality but then people could edit the nationality after the album's initial addition to the database?

Just a thought, no need to be imminently addressed if it would be too difficult to program Smile

Last edited by ForegroundNoise on 05/16/2019 16:09; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2019 15:53
  • Post subject:
That'd be great. I added this album not too long ago and felt incredibly silly defining it as 'mixed nationality':

Country Negro Jam Sessions by Various Artists

I understand the complications though. Could be a bit of a mess on the other end, and albeit I can't see it being impossible, I'm sure there's heavier things on the slate first.
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/27/2019 07:42
  • Post subject:
albummaster thoughts??
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/27/2019 09:13
  • Post subject:
Sorry, away travelling while this post was added so apologies for missing it. Obviously, the whole nature of VA is entirely different to other types of artist as they are largely of unique composition for each album they are attributed to and it's about finding a neat solution to this that doesn't affect the workings of the rest of the site. Due to the way BEA is set up, there's no easy solution to this (one alternative would be to create one VA for each nation which may be a bit confusing when browsing\searching the site, adding albums etc). I'm not sure how other sites deal with this, but a possibility is to have 'child artists' of VA with the different nationalities as it keeps the nationality at artist level rather than against each album (although there'd still be a huge list of these child artists on the parent VA page and there'd be the problem of which VA to pick when compiling a chart). However, I think this would need to be tested first before we started doing it as I'm not sure if I'm overlooking anything.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2019 13:29
  • Post subject:
Just a thought...what if, instead of having a gazillion different VA artists to choose from, we still have just the one. But when VA is selected, it activates a dropdown box of countries the same way it does on the page where you moderate the artist?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/27/2019 13:51
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Just a thought...what if, instead of having a gazillion different VA artists to choose from, we still have just the one. But when VA is selected, it activates a dropdown box of countries the same way it does on the page where you moderate the artist?

Quote:
I get that it would be very hard to keep track of given you'd have to be aware of the nationalities of the individual artists within the compilation, but maybe if the default was Mixed Nationality but then people could edit the nationality after the album's initial addition to the database?

I think these ideas are one in the same, and probably the route to go. It's what I would vouch for anyway. Anything else would be overcomplicating it.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/28/2019 17:28
  • Post subject:
Romannelli wrote:
I get that it would be very hard to keep track of given you'd have to be aware of the nationalities of the individual artists within the compilation, but maybe if the default was Mixed Nationality but then people could edit the nationality after the album's initial addition to the database?

Hayden wrote:
I think these ideas are one in the same, and probably the route to go. It's what I would vouch for anyway. Anything else would be overcomplicating it.

Yes, I think this could work with the default as 'Mixed' (good idea). However, we'd still need all the VAs to be set up in the background so that the 'correct' VA can be assigned correctly (this shouldn't be that difficult).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2019 17:49
  • Post subject:
Would setting up profiles for each country in the background eliminate the ability to view all V/A releases together?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/28/2019 17:59
  • Post subject:
The 'Mixed' VA would act as the 'parent' and from the parent artist page you could drill down into the separate countries if you wish (they'd all be children of 'Mixed'). All of the different country VAs would be visible from the parent artist page (but only the 'mixed' VA would be able to be selected from the chart editor to act as the default if an album isn't already on BEA). Anyway, that's my current understanding of how this is proposed to work.

EDIT: The parent artist page would list all 'VA' releases.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2019 18:24
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
The 'Mixed' VA would act as the 'parent' and from the parent artist page you could drill down into the separate countries if you wish (they'd all be children of 'Mixed'). All of the different country VAs would be visible from the parent artist page (but only the 'mixed' VA would be able to be selected from the chart editor to act as the default if an album isn't already on BEA). Anyway, that's my current understanding of how this is proposed to work.

EDIT: The parent artist page would list all 'VA' releases.

Applause This will be so useful and will put BEA ahead of other internet music databases!