Get To Know A Top 10: June 2019 Thread - Lowkey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
All The Pretty Little Horses by Current 93
14%
 14%  [1]
Blonde by Frank Ocean
14%
 14%  [1]
Untrue by Burial
0%
 0%  [0]
Depressive Silence II by Depressive Silence
0%
 0%  [0]
Ancestors Call by Huun-Huur-Tu
0%
 0%  [0]
Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts by Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts
14%
 14%  [1]
The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun by Natural Snow Buildings
14%
 14%  [1]
The Mantle by Agalloch
14%
 14%  [1]
Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler by Ulver
0%
 0%  [0]
Divine Music From A Jail by Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun
28%
 28%  [2]
Total Votes : 7

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2019 01:42
  • Post subject: Get To Know A Top 10: June 2019 Thread - Lowkey
Our tenth poll resulted in a two-vote win for Lowkey. Here are the ten albums up for discussion during the month of June:

1. All The Pretty Little Horses - Current 93
2. Blonde - Frank Ocean
3. Untrue - Burial
4. Depressive Silence II - Depressive Silence
5. Ancestors Call - Huun-Huur-Tu
6. Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts - Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts
7. The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun - Natural Snow Buildings
8. The Mantle - Agalloch
9. Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler - Ulver
10. Divine Music From A Jail - Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun

As always, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. And where possible, interact with what other people have been saying for a more interesting discussion.

If you do get a chance to listen to all ten, you can then vote for your favorite in the attached poll.

Last but not least, here are the past threads if you want to go back and listen to / talk about stuff you missed.

April 2018 thread (Luigii): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20004
May 2018 thread (Tilly): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20126
June 2018 thread (Jimmy Dread): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20249
July 2018 thread (Hayden): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20364
August 2018 thread (RockyRaccoon): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20454
December 2018 thread (SquishypuffDave): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20890
January 2019 thread (Tap): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21003
April 2019 thread (dihansse): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21394
May 2019 thread (Tha1ChiefRocka): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21512
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2019 19:39
  • Post subject:
I'll update this thread later with comments, thoughts, and feelings on these records

If anyone has any issue finding any of these records, send me a PM, but all of these should either be on Spotify or YouTube
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2019 01:23
  • Post subject:
I was only familiar with one album on this list going in: The Mantle, which I like a great deal.

I binged on the other nine all in one day.

In the end, I had to stick with the Agalloch, although Depressive Silence and Ulver really gave it a very close run. Of the other seven, the Current 93 is probably the only one I'll make an effort to return to.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/02/2019 01:38
  • Post subject:
Que padre.

Only album I haven't heard is Ancestors Call, which I hope to get around to sometime this week.

It's a really collective, uniform top 10 in a way (very atmospheric, textural), but I can't help feeling Blonde stands out (perhaps popularity, not sure). Not complaining, it's a great album, but I might go into it with a different mindset my next listen... Recently I've found myself mostly listening to singles off that album rather than as a whole.

Should also note Batushka have a new release that's apparently stellar (not in the top 10, I know, but figured I'd note it for Lowkey).
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2019 03:17
  • Post subject:
All The Pretty Little Horses is the only one I’ve heard. It’s a toe-curler, and I’m sure a second listen will be a masochistic exercise...but who knows. This is another really intriguing chart, and I can’t wait to get started.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2019 05:35
  • Post subject:
Haha yes! My top 10, and overall for that matter, has some sort of cohesion consisting of spirituality and atmosphere.

I went through some sort of epiphany a few years ago and I’ve been going further and further down that idea so to speak.

Most of the music on my chart is dark, very dark, but I see beauty to almost every album on there.

I expect there to be a great deal of movement and new faces within my chart in the coming year, perhaps some more Pagan folk music, perhaps another dose of dungeon synth! Mysticism is wonderful and nature is divine.

@Hayden, Blonde has been a favorite of mine since the hour it came out, it is easily the best “popular” record of the decade and the album has continued to grow on me with every listen. I have a few other well known albums on there such as Take Care and to a lesser extent, Lil Peep Part One, but when it comes to rap and r&b, Blonde’s life affirming motif takes the cake for me.

and yes! I’m excited to hear the new Batushka, here’s to hoping it’s as good as the debut

I should have some ramblings on my favorite album tomorrow, if anyone reading this thread hasn’t listened to it, make sure you’re not in an anxious mood or situation when listening!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2019 18:41
  • Post subject:
5 I've listened to and 5 that I haven't heard. I'm excited to hear those I haven't heard, as Dungeon-Synth and Tuvan singing are things that I think are pretty cool.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2019 19:11
  • Post subject:

Depressive Silence II by Depressive Silence

Wow! This is my first time hearing a dungeon synth album, and it's absolutely beautiful and transportational. The music matches so well with the cover art.

YouTube commenter wrote:
This music is a psyop to make me read Tolkien and it works

Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2019 19:56
  • Post subject:
I'm fairly quick and to the point with my feelings on albums, so here we go:

All The Pretty Little Horses is my favorite album for a number of reasons:

1. Lyricism and Storytelling are both on point, Tibet is my favorite lyricist and his spiritualistic esoteric lyrics work wonders here.

2. Instrumentation, this almost sounds like it was recorded hundreds of years ago in some occult church in the English countryside. The music is beautiful and it pairs extremely well with Tibet and his lyrics

3. Orginality, I haven't heard another album like this. I've gone up and down the Neofolk canon and deep picks trying to find something remotely like this, but I have yet to find anything even that close to it. Even in Tibet's catalog, there isn't anything that matches the rustic mysticism that this record holds.

4. Atmosphere, I don't want to ruin the album for anyone who hasn't heard it before, but this album has an otherworldly (underworldly?) atmosphere, experience it for yourself and let me know if it worked its magic on you.

5. Personal Attachment, this was the first pure Neofolk album I fell in love with and thus it has sparked my interest in the entire genre. Since 2014 or so, Current 93 has influenced me to delve deeper into esoteric music and that has aided me in making some profound changes in my life.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/03/2019 20:24
  • Post subject:
On Apple Music I only find The Inmost Light which seems to some sort of compilation but contains all the tracks of All The Pretty Little Horses preceded by one very long atmospheric track and also has the same album art.
I suppose this is the same album (maybe remastered) so I'm listening to this version. Do you have any more info on it?
I must admit: it's certainly otherworldly but at the moment I only heard two tracks...

Lowkey wrote:
I'm fairly quick and to the point with my feelings on albums, so here we go:

All The Pretty Little Horses is my favorite album for a number of reasons:

1. Lyricism and Storytelling are both on point, Tibet is my favorite lyricist and his spiritualistic esoteric lyrics work wonders here.

2. Instrumentation, this almost sounds like it was recorded hundreds of years ago in some occult church in the English countryside. The music is beautiful and it pairs extremely well with Tibet and his lyrics

3. Orginality, I haven't heard another album like this. I've gone up and down the Neofolk canon and deep picks trying to find something remotely like this, but I have yet to find anything even that close to it. Even in Tibet's catalog, there isn't anything that matches the rustic mysticism that this record holds.

4. Atmosphere, I don't want to ruin the album for anyone who hasn't heard it before, but this album has an otherworldly (underworldly?) atmosphere, experience it for yourself and let me know if it worked its magic on you.

5. Personal Attachment, this was the first pure Neofolk album I fell in love with and thus it has sparked my interest in the entire genre. Since 2014 or so, Current 93 has influenced me to delve deeper into esoteric music and that has aided me in making some profound changes in my life.
  • Visit poster's website