Get To Know A Top 10: June 2019 Thread - Lowkey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
All The Pretty Little Horses by Current 93
14%
 14%  [1]
Blonde by Frank Ocean
14%
 14%  [1]
Untrue by Burial
0%
 0%  [0]
Depressive Silence II by Depressive Silence
0%
 0%  [0]
Ancestors Call by Huun-Huur-Tu
0%
 0%  [0]
Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts by Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts
14%
 14%  [1]
The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun by Natural Snow Buildings
14%
 14%  [1]
The Mantle by Agalloch
14%
 14%  [1]
Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler by Ulver
0%
 0%  [0]
Divine Music From A Jail by Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun
28%
 28%  [2]
Total Votes : 7

Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2019 21:34
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
On Apple Music I only find The Inmost Light which seems to some sort of compilation but contains all the tracks of All The Pretty Little Horses preceded by one very long atmospheric track and also has the same album art.
I suppose this is the same album (maybe remastered) so I'm listening to this version. Do you have any more info on it?
I must admit: it's certainly otherworldly but at the moment I only heard two tracks...

Lowkey wrote:
I'm fairly quick and to the point with my feelings on albums, so here we go:

All The Pretty Little Horses by Current 93

All The Pretty Little Horses is my favorite album for a number of reasons:

1. Lyricism and Storytelling are both on point, Tibet is my favorite lyricist and his spiritualistic esoteric lyrics work wonders here.

2. Instrumentation, this almost sounds like it was recorded hundreds of years ago in some occult church in the English countryside. The music is beautiful and it pairs extremely well with Tibet and his lyrics

3. Orginality, I haven't heard another album like this. I've gone up and down the Neofolk canon and deep picks trying to find something remotely like this, but I have yet to find anything even that close to it. Even in Tibet's catalog, there isn't anything that matches the rustic mysticism that this record holds.

4. Atmosphere, I don't want to ruin the album for anyone who hasn't heard it before, but this album has an otherworldly (underworldly?) atmosphere, experience it for yourself and let me know if it worked its magic on you.

5. Personal Attachment, this was the first pure Neofolk album I fell in love with and thus it has sparked my interest in the entire genre. Since 2014 or so, Current 93 has influenced me to delve deeper into esoteric music and that has aided me in making some profound changes in my life.

Yes! So The Inmost Light compilation does contaion the entire album but with two long tracks bookending it

so All The Pretty Little Horses will be the mid 13 tracks
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2019 02:08
  • Post subject:
All The Pretty Little Horses is an album that grows on you. It’s so delicate, musically, that I wish I had a more robust stereo to listen to it through, but I suppose that’s my cross to bear. It’s definitely not an album to throw on willy nilly...it’s probably better to schedule an appointment. I’m listening to The Light Is Leaving Us All at the moment, which feels like a direct follow up to ATPLH, but that’s hard to say without hearing the intermediate albums. Did you not find it to be in the same vein, Lowkey?

Blonde and Untrue were difficult for me. Neutral

Depressive Silence II was a great introduction to the dungeon synth genre. “Depths of the Ocean” especially, what an atmosphere. It’s less engaging music than what I mostly listen to, but that’s okay...contrast is important to have.

Ancestors Call is the star...it’s going on my list. The music was poignant and engrossing...track after track.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the list!
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2019 17:53
  • Post subject:

Ancestors Call by Huun-Huur-Tu

I was pleased to hear something from this genre for the first time, and many passages of this album are simply gorgeous. The one stumbling block for me is the sound of the vocals in the lower register. If my googling is correct, this vocal style is called kargyraa. I can appreciate it, but perhaps I will need to acclimate myself more to Tuvan throat singing to truly enjoy it.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/08/2019 20:05
  • Post subject:
I have a friend who grabs the aux cable at parties and puts on Tuvan throat singing. True story.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2019 02:04
  • Post subject:
Time to address the two of these I had already heard coming in.

Here's what I wrote about Blonde in January in the canon game:

baystateoftheart wrote:

Blonde by Frank Ocean

To fully appreciate this album, I needed time and space from the lovesickness and humid summer air of 2016 in which I heard it the first two times. As Frank sings on Ivy (the best track), "We'll never be those kids again." In retrospect, at that time I was more like the kid, and now I feel nearer to Frank. A little less naïve, a little more world-weary, a little more wistful. I'm also more impressed by the production and lyrics than I was last time. There are parts of the record that hold it back, such as much of Futura Free, but perhaps the flaws further humanize an already deeply human record.

Untrue by Burial

I just heard this for the third time ever this evening, and it resonated more than ever before. With Untrue it was love at first listen, unlike Blonde, but even so there are many layers to peel back with repeat listens. This stands out among electronic albums for being poignantly emotional and painting an evocative portrait of time, place, mood, and mental state. Of course, the sound design is incredible too. As soon as we can update charts again this is going to rocket into the top third of my overall.
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2019 04:45
  • Post subject:
Hey guys! Sorry about the lack of response or write ups, I’ve been slammed with work, but I’ll start going more in depth on 2-10 soon Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2019 23:22
  • Post subject:
A good quarter of my favorites have been found by browsing this chart or stemming not too far from it. Unquestionably the most influential chart on this website for my music palate.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2019 23:30
  • Post subject:

Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts by ...in' Hearts

This is solid, but after listening once my impression is that it's more interesting than it is good. I don't always love the songwriting or the interplay between instrumentals and vocals. By the way, I enjoy avant-folk in general, so that's not a stumbling block. Perhaps this album will be a grower. On some of these tracks the male singer sounds like Jack White.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2019 05:08
  • Post subject:
Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts by ...in' Hearts

This was a nice stew they cooked up. They threw in Gris-gris, Elephant, and some country Americana album I’d have no way to guess. I love the surreal “freak country” vibe, and especially the pagan elements that had me conjuring visions of some unrealized backwoods Bohemia. Great album for an evening on the porch. My only complaint is that “The Birds & The Herds” is overlong.

Favorite Tracks: “Graceless Lady” & “Terrapin (Oh! Syd)”
  • Visit poster's website
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 06/11/2019 19:36
  • Post subject:
Ok, I'm halfway there. I don't if my opinion is worth anything, but here it is anyway.

All The Pretty Little Horses is a worthy number one. It's almost flawless, the sounds, production, lyrics, all makes sense. I might not be much into neofolk atm, but I can see it growing on me.

Blonde is harder for me, some tracks hit me, others miss. But as baystateoftheart said, it's a deeply human record.

I might have heard Untrue four or five times already, and I still don't really get it. Except the final track (Raver), I find it a bit monotonous and bleak sometimes.

Depressive Silence is amazing. I had already heard it, but this time, I really got more into it. Stunning atmosphere. I might put it in my overall someday.

I was a bit skeptical with tuvan throat singing thing. Usually, I don't like this kind of thing, but here, it clicked. Every track sound different and I was never bored.

So far (best to worst):
Depressive Silence
All The Pretty Little Horses
Untrue
Ancestors Call
Blonde

But all are good albums (70/100+). There is a real atmosphere in this top ten, it's a really great one. Looking forward to hear the rest of it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website