Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/24/2018 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2932): The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem
Today's album of the day

The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2000.
Overall rank: 188
Average rating: 78/100 (from 1049 votes).

Tracks:
1. Public Service Announcement 2000
2. Kill You
3. Stan
4. Paul (Skit)
5. Who Knew
6. Steve Berman (Skit)
7. The Way I Am
8. The Real Slim Shady
9. Remember Me
10. I'm Back
11. Marshall Mathers
12. Ken Kaniff (Skit)
13. Drug Ballad
14. Amityville
15. Bitch Please II
16. Kim
17. Under The Influence
18. Criminal

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2018 01:05
  • Post subject:
Vocal delivery is at times unparalleled.

Substance and anything worth listening to... it's often heavily lacking.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/25/2018 08:51
  • Post subject:
Cartoonish, wilfully provocative, goofy as fuck, borderline unlistenable, and an already tired retread of the previous LP. That this is held up as an example of the best hip-hop has to offer by so many people is genuinely offensive.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/25/2018 11:55
  • Post subject:
YEEEESSS! Finally it became Album of The Day. Thanks for that Christmas present, albummaster.
One of my very favorite albums of all time. Ranked #2 at my chart. I don't give a fuck if people are gonna attack me, for loving and being inspired of this classic album! Smile Think Applause

Last edited by DommeDamian on 12/25/2018 15:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/25/2018 12:29
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Cartoonish, wilfully provocative, goofy as fuck, borderline unlistenable, and an already tired retread of the previous LP. That this is held up as an example of the best hip-hop has to offer by so many people is genuinely offensive.

Reading the first few lines of this I totally thought you were praising the album. If I'd just read "cartoonish, willfully provocative, goofy as fuck" you probably would already have convinced me to listen to it.

Interesting you describe this as borderline unlistenable. I remember years before I made a concerted effort to explore the hip hop genre, Eminem was the only rapper (that I knew of) that I found listenable, and that seems to be common among white non-hip-hop-fans. I'm not sure why this is, although my guess is that it's partially due to the relative absence of AAVE and its associated jargon. Exploring hip hop was almost like learning a new language. Early on, the genre didn't evoke any emotional response in me, like I didn't have the conceptual framework for that to happen. That's probably why Eminem's cartoonish goofiness appealed to me; it was warm and inviting and accessible.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/25/2018 13:05
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Reading the first few lines of this I totally thought you were praising the album. If I'd just read "cartoonish, willfully provocative, goofy as fuck" you probably would already have convinced me to listen to it.

Interesting you describe this as borderline unlistenable. I remember years before I made a concerted effort to explore the hip hop genre, Eminem was the only rapper (that I knew of) that I found listenable, and that seems to be common among white non-hip-hop-fans. I'm not sure why this is, although my guess is that it's partially due to the relative absence of AAVE and its associated jargon. Exploring hip hop was almost like learning a new language. Early on, the genre didn't evoke any emotional response in me, like I didn't have the conceptual framework for that to happen. That's probably why Eminem's cartoonish goofiness appealed to me; it was warm and inviting and accessible.

Makes sense.
carpents

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2018 14:47
  • Post subject:
It's listenable. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2018 15:02
  • Post subject:
i love it and feel it is probably the best album of new material released in this millennium. the fact that it pisses some off only adds to its appeal in my opinion as controversial art is often at least to me the most important.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/25/2018 16:03
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:

That's what's up. It's like the more people hate it, the more I love it. The more people love it, the more I love them Smile The album alone has given me strength and helped me through so much shit, plus there is not one single little moment on here that is less than phenomenal.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=46231
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2018 16:59
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

I haven’t heard it front-to-back, but I pretty much agree with this based on what I have heard. Probably going to have to hear it all soon for the canon game, and dreading that. Yes, Eminem doesn’t belong in any discussion of hip-hop GOATs, but even worse, millions of people like him and no other hip-hop... funny how that works...