The Films I Like the Least That Most Seem to Love

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NJ

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2019 01:39
  • Post subject: The Films I Like the Least That Most Seem to Love
I dislike the term overrated, but I suppose that'd describe my feelings toward these following 10 films. Most of them aren't bad, I just don't think they're all that great. If you love them, fine, but I don't. They're ranked on a combination of their perceived (by me) adoration from people and how much I don't love them. I still like most of these, just not all too much. Some of these are more just subjectively not being to my personal taste, others are more about what I perceive as containing many objective flaws.

1. Highlander - The soundtrack is nice, though I'm not the biggest Queen fan. That's all the nice things I can say about this movie. It is legitimately a terrible piece of garbage in every way, except the soundtrack.

2. Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther - Both of these films are equally overrated, from two different groups: Black Panther was beloved by critics for its diversity, I guess, which isn't really much to say about the film's quality. The best thing about it is the visual style, which is largely ruined by the poor CGI. It's not really a bad film, just a kind of standard, somewhat boring one. Like the lead character - it doesn't really stand out, and isn't particularly complex or likable (and it's certainly not funny), but it's not dislikable either. Infinity War, on the other hand, had a huge cultural impact and was perhaps the biggest film of 2018. Unlike Black Panther, it does stand out a lot. It does a lot right and a lot very wrong. It has terrible pacing and some really bad writing, but some shocking and well-written moments, too. In my eyes, they're both only okay. Black Panther is a consistent 5 throughout, Infinity War is half of the time a 7 and the other half a 3.

3. Breathless - This one is just subjective unenjoyment. I know the characters are supposed to be unlikable idiots, and Godard certainly succeeded in making me not like them.

4. Forrest Gump - Not all that special. I find the character more unlikable and annoying than anything, and the inspirational whimsy makes me want to die.

5. Predator - To be honest, I actually do enjoy this one a bit. It has a great set design and really fast pacing, which works well enough for a movie like this. It's bad, but enjoyably so. Sure, the story is more holes than actual meaningful story, and the characters are so two dimensional that I can't even muster a shrug when they die, but whatever. It's certainly no Alien, though, but people seem to like to compare it to that masterpiece. It's not that, at all.

6. Back to the Future - It's fine. This sort of pulpy SciFi isn't really my cup-of-tea, and neither is the humor. It has its moments.

7. Scream, Scream 2 and A Nightmare on Elm Street - These are good films. I like them. They all have bad endings.

8. Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Again, this movie is good. Just not great. The action and visuals are fantastic. Story and character-wise, though, it pales in comparison to its far superior and vastly underrated predecessor. I'm sorry, but The Terminator is simply a much better movie.

9. Suicide Squad - How could this be overrated when everyone hates it? Well, not everyone hates it, and that's why. Just most. Unlike Highlander, I legitimately cannot say anything good about this movie. It manages to do everything wrong, and represents all of the worst parts of modern popular cinema. It is truly terrible, and the fact that some people seem to like it is ridiculous. It's not even enjoyably bad - it's boring. And stupid. And terrible. I hate it.

The Thing (1984) - A very good movie, easily the best one on this list, hence its low ranking. It does have some problems. Its characters aren't particularly great (pretty standard horror asshole fare) and the pacing goes out of its way to try and kill the atmosphere. To think it's become the more popular pick of Carpenter's horror films over Halloween is also a bit ridiculous, but whatever. I understand why people like this one as much as they do, though.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2019 15:30
  • Post subject: Re: The Films I Like the Least That Most Seem to Love
Welcome to the Movie forums, NJ. Unlike the Music forums, it's not a total dumpster fire around here. Anyhoo,
NJ wrote:

2. Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther - Both of these films are equally overrated, from two different groups: Black Panther was beloved by critics for its diversity, I guess, which isn't really much to say about the film's quality. The best thing about it is the visual style, which is largely ruined by the poor CGI. It's not really a bad film, just a kind of standard, somewhat boring one. Like the lead character - it doesn't really stand out, and isn't particularly complex or likable (and it's certainly not funny), but it's not dislikable either. Infinity War, on the other hand, had a huge cultural impact and was perhaps the biggest film of 2018. Unlike Black Panther, it does stand out a lot. It does a lot right and a lot very wrong. It has terrible pacing and some really bad writing, but some shocking and well-written moments, too. In my eyes, they're both only okay. Black Panther is a consistent 5 throughout, Infinity War is half of the time a 7 and the other half a 3.

Yup, well said. Couldn't agree more. These movies are how I lost excitement for the MCU.

NJ wrote:
3. Breathless - This one is just subjective unenjoyment. I know the characters are supposed to be unlikable idiots, and Godard certainly succeeded in making me not like them.

4. Forrest Gump - Not all that special. I find the character more unlikable and annoying than anything, and the inspirational whimsy makes me want to die.

6. Back to the Future - It's fine. This sort of pulpy SciFi isn't really my cup-of-tea, and neither is the humor. It has its moments.

Agree to disagree. These movies are great. Got something against Zemeckis?

NJ wrote:
5. Predator - To be honest, I actually do enjoy this one a bit. It has a great set design and really fast pacing, which works well enough for a movie like this. It's bad, but enjoyably so. Sure, the story is more holes than actual meaningful story, and the characters are so two dimensional that I can't even muster a shrug when they die, but whatever. It's certainly no Alien, though, but people seem to like to compare it to that masterpiece. It's not that, at all.
I never hear anyone compare the two films, despite the fact there's a separate franchise called Alien vs. Predator. Perhaps that's why people may compare the two movies? However, Alien vs. Predator started out as a video game series, which led to two movies and more. But it has nothing to do with Alien and Predator movie series. And agreed, one is much better than the other.

NJ wrote:
8. Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Again, this movie is good. Just not great. The action and visuals are fantastic. Story and character-wise, though, it pales in comparison to its far superior and vastly underrated predecessor. I'm sorry, but The Terminator is simply a much better movie.

Totally. Well said once again. I can't sit through T2 anymore. I can watch the first one any time.

NJ wrote:
The Thing (1984) - A very good movie, easily the best one on this list, hence its low ranking. It does have some problems. Its characters aren't particularly great (pretty standard horror asshole fare) and the pacing goes out of its way to try and kill the atmosphere. To think it's become the more popular pick of Carpenter's horror films over Halloween is also a bit ridiculous, but whatever. I understand why people like this one as much as they do, though.

The Thing is also Sci-Fi, which is where some of its popularity comes from.
NJ

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2019 20:08
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Quote:
Agree to disagree. These movies are great. Got something against Zemeckis?

No, I love Roger Rabbit. I just don't much care for the other two. Forrest Gump is much worse, though. I really wouldn't call Back to the Future or Forrest Gump "great," maybe good. Breathless is great, I just can't stand it.

CA Dreamin wrote:
Quote:
The Thing is also Sci-Fi, which is where some of its popularity comes from.

Well, I'm not a huge SciFi fan, which is perhaps one of the reasons I consider it overrated. Horror is more my genre (after art-house, of course), so the pure horror of Halloween interests me more. As SciFi horror goes, once again, Alien really stands heads and shoulders above the others.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2019 00:28
  • Post subject:
NJ wrote:
Breathless is great, I just can't stand it.

Oh boy. Time for a Hayden rebuttal.

NJ wrote:
Well, I'm not a huge SciFi fan, which is perhaps one of the reasons I consider it overrated. Horror is more my genre (after art-house, of course), so the pure horror of Halloween interests me more. As SciFi horror goes, once again, Alien really stands heads and shoulders above the others.

Well you would probably get along with badseed more than you would with me. I'm the sci-fi fan; he's the horror fan. And yeah, no argument here about Alien being better than The Thing. But Alien may be the best sci-fi/horror ever made.

By the way, this is a fun idea for a thread. Whenever I get enough time and motivation, I might come up with a list crappy movies many people like.
NJ

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2019 01:02
  • Post subject:
I'd be interesting in seeing your list, CA Dreamin. And I don't dislike SciFi; 2001 and Blade Runner are both in my top 10 films, and Alien and Stalker are in my top 20. It's more just that the mediocre and bad horror films I find much more enjoyable than the mediocre and bad SciFi ones. Like, I tend to overlook flaws a lot more in horror films than in SciFi ones.

I almost put Casablanca on my list, as well. It was close. Another classic SciFi film, 1958's The Fly, nearly made it as well. Honestly, that one probably deserved to be there more than The Thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 09/24/2019 14:15
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I almost put Casablanca on my list, as well. It was close. Another classic SciFi film, 1958's The Fly, nearly made it as well. Honestly, that one probably deserved to be there more than The Thing.

Interesting topic. I find myself thinking this way about a lot of films as well, but for some reason there are very few I think of off the top of my head. The first one I could think of was Casablanca, and for some reason the only other movie I can think of is Moonlight. I'll have to see if I can dig up some more that fit into this category.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 09/24/2019 23:52
  • Post subject:
Back To The Future is one of my most favorite trilogies. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/25/2019 01:17
  • Post subject:
NJ wrote:
Breathless

CA Dreamin wrote:
Oh boy. Time for a Hayden rebuttal.

One of my favourite's there NJ, just to clarify CA's point. All good though, I've never been one to force someone to like something they insist they don't.

They all come around eventually.

Badass, chic, slick, sharp, hip, killer dialogue, relatable, a timestamp yet timeless — somehow wrapped up in something so simple. Truffaut's script, Godard's direction... both at a pivotal moment in French new wave, carrying some sort of existential torch passed from the literary movement. There isn't a single wasted line, not to mention the imagery (or the influence... but that's beside the point). It's a natural airy freedom that cinema didn't really see before it was released. The contrast of the two leads has endless chemistry... somebody wearing a mask, and somebody whose mask you can't read, slyly flirting with each other for whatever it's worth.

It's like The Velvet Underground & Nico of films, if The Velvet Underground & Nico was more like John Coltrane & Kerouac, and maybe Max Roach shows up. It's an injection of unarguable cool, kicking you when you need to be kicked.

And it's French and very smokey, which is très cool.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/25/2019 01:21
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther

Being said, if it makes it feel any less like I'm trying to attack you (which I'm not), I agree with these. Infinity War is like eating a bucket of candy corn.

Tell you what, I'll throw my own hat in the ring:

The Night of the Hunter.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2019 01:50
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

The Night of the Hunter.

That's fine and good, but what's your major gripe with it?
  • Visit poster's website