Album of the day (#3104): Rubber Soul by The Beatles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2019 20:53
  • Post subject:
How important do you guys think The Beatles would have been both in the 60s and today, if Rubber Soul had been their debut? I’ve always been curious about how acclaimed and impactful their albums from this one on would have been had Beatlemania not occurred.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 06/18/2019 22:11
  • Post subject:
I find that arguing with people individually in an online forum is... time-consuming and usually unproductive. In most cases, it ends up being more about the egos of the people arguing than the topic you’re arguing about. So no, I wasn’t targeting any particular person with my earlier post, just responding to an attitude that has become prevalent in my experience. And needless to say, a generalized response will seem like an unfair oversimplification if interpreted as an indictment of an individual.

Lastly, I wasn’t calling anyone a douche, but please don’t rule out the possibility that you might be one.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2019 22:12
  • Post subject:
Good, but not great

Probably in my top 5 albums from the gents
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2019 02:35
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
How important do you guys think The Beatles would have been both in the 60s and today, if Rubber Soul had been their debut? I’ve always been curious about how acclaimed and impactful their albums from this one on would have been had Beatlemania not occurred.

Hmm.... Incredibly intriguing. I think part of the beauty of the Beatles is they could live in both universes. Had they just done pop or just done Avant garde... I think it'd be less interesting somehow. Not saying this album is Avant garde... Don't read too hard into the binary opposition there... Just saying the beauty of their career I think is the chameleon aspect.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2019 02:36
  • Post subject:
Also I appreciate everyone's posts/points of view discovered here. Thanks for sharing.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2019 03:41
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hmm.... Incredibly intriguing. I think part of the beauty of the Beatles is they could live in both universes. Had they just done pop or just done Avant garde... I think it'd be less interesting somehow. Not saying this album is Avant garde... Don't read too hard into the binary opposition there... Just saying the beauty of their career I think is the chameleon aspect.

I can see this going either way. Would anyone have given Rubber Soul a chance had it not come from what was already the hottest band in modern music history? Maybe not.

But even while Rubber Soul was a huge departure from what came before, it was still the product of composers who could write some very memorable melodies and match those melodies with equally memorable lyrics. While it's not a personal favorite of mine, I have to think a song like In My Life would have caught on any time. And once hooked on this gateway drug, much of the rest of the album would've caught on as well.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 06/23/2019 12:26
  • Post subject:
Yeah-can songs with immoral lyrics still be good? I'd say they can. You don't have to agree with sentiment to like a song. I think Lennon would say "Run for your life" is about his insecurity in relationships. I'd say he's written much better songs though.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/23/2019 18:07
  • Post subject:
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) is one of the best things the Beatles ever recorded and it transforms what is a rather decent album into a great one.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 19:31
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

@seth, as I mentioned, I re-listened to the whole album for the first time in a while last night. Certainly not as a good as I remembered, and it's gonna take a plunge on my chart on the next update. I'll try to do a track-by-track review, but I may not be very favorable.

I'm looking forward to this album being bloodied. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
jpajovich

• Posted: 06/23/2019 20:31
  • Post subject:
Run For Your Life ruins the album for me. I just can't listen to it anymore; it makes me visibly cringe.
  • Visit poster's website