Album Release Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
fjooso

• Posted: 05/13/2020 19:30
  • Post subject:
I see a separate folder for popular albums of every year. It lists the best yearly releases. Is not it what you are talking about? I think the information is there. Or do you mean that not all albums are listed there so far?

Last edited by fjooso on 05/15/2020 17:00; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/14/2020 08:50
  • Post subject:
fjooso wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the link you posted contains every album on the site with a missing release date. Which albums in particular are missing dates that aren't on that list?

There are two lists being referred to on this thread (both lists are filtered from newly added albums page). One is a complete list of albums on the site (released since 2004) without release dates, and the other is a list of unmoderated albums (the second list is a much shorter 'working' list typically containing about 100 albums, most of which most are new to the site). (The albums that are 'missing' from the longer list are those released prior to 2004, but the site doesn't yet require a release date for those albums).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2020 03:34
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
This is one of the metrics I monitor, and to be fair the number of albums without release dates has been going down a lot faster since the change was made (other users are also helping bring down the numbers), so I think it's worth keeping going with this (if the trend continues), with the aim at some stage of adjusting/removing the 2004 threshold.

It appears this got reverted to how it was before. What was the reason?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/13/2020 08:46
  • Post subject:
Nothing has changed.. the data has now been populated ( Party Applause Very Happy ) so both filters contain the same items.

Next step will be to open this field up a bit wider, I think probably for all albums from 1960 (going back earlier than that may be a waste of time as we'll have big problems being able to corroborate dates - it's difficult enough hunting around finding enough quality sources for more recent albums).

The metrics are quite similar for both sets of albums: 160,000 albums on BEA; 76,000 of these released since 2004 (release dates now updated); 80,000 albums on BEA released between 1960 and 2004 (which leaves about 4,000 albums on BEA released prior to 1960 which I'm happy to leave without release dates. I'd personally rather have no data than inaccurate data and conscious of everyone's time - including my own).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2020 04:09
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Nothing has changed.. the data has now been populated ( Party Applause Very Happy ) so both filters contain the same items.

Next step will be to open this field up a bit wider, I think probably for all albums from 1960 (going back earlier than that may be a waste of time as we'll have big problems being able to corroborate dates - it's difficult enough hunting around finding enough quality sources for more recent albums).

The metrics are quite similar for both sets of albums: 160,000 albums on BEA; 76,000 of these released since 2004 (release dates now updated); 80,000 albums on BEA released between 1960 and 2004 (which leaves about 4,000 albums on BEA released prior to 1960 which I'm happy to leave without release dates. I'd personally rather have no data than inaccurate data and conscious of everyone's time - including my own).

Wow, that's awesome! Go team!

An issue I can foresee if we go to 1960 next is that precise recording dates but not release dates exist for many jazz albums of that era. There are already plentiful issues with maintaining the correct year on 50s/60s jazz releases, and I am concerned about whether a quest for precise dates will result in some years being erroneously changed.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/15/2020 16:30
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
An issue I can foresee if we go to 1960 next is that precise recording dates but not release dates exist for many jazz albums of that era. There are already plentiful issues with maintaining the correct year on 50s/60s jazz releases, and I am concerned about whether a quest for precise dates will result in some years being erroneously changed.

That's definitely a concern, but taking a breather before doing anything further on this. Another option might be to make release dates optional for older albums but required for 2004 or later (this would allow people to fill out releases dates if they want to, but wouldn't require them). At a later stage, this policy could be reviewed with minimal impact on the workings of the site since the data either exists or it doesn't.
  • Visit poster's website