mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/16/2019 21:12
  • Post subject:
Aight let's do this before the season starts:

EAST
Contenders
1. Bucks - same as last year
2. Sixers - Horford is a great pickup, and while Richardson isn't on Butler's level, there's a reason why Heat were so reluctant to let go of him. He'll be an important part of their roster. The problem I see is a lack of reliable shooters with Redick gone.

Could spoil the party
3. Celtics - I think they'll have a better season this time around... Might even mean trouble in the playoffs for the top two teams.

Playoff contenders
4. Heat - Not that Butler is gonna put this team over the top, but they were lacking a player like that. Shame about Richardson gone, but they have a couple of other young promising players. Herro has also looked great in the preseason. And hopefully Dragić can have one more great season as a sixth man at least. In the weak east they can reach up to 48-50 wins IMO. But they can also end up battling Orlando and Pistons for the playoffs like last year, wouldn't surprise me at all.
5. Pacers - I respect Turner, Brogdon, Sabonis, quite a bit, and Warren proved to be a capable shooter with the Suns. We'll see.
6. Nets - High hopes for next year when KD comes back, but they can be pretty great even now, they're a pretty deep team.
7. Raptors - they went all in with Kawhi rental, got the best possible result, everything that happens now is a bonus. I think the lack of a proper #1 option (Lowry and Gasol getting old, Ibaka isn't all that, maybe Siakam can make another step?) is going to hurt them in the long run.
8. Magic - they were really good at the end of last year and their young players are surely going to keep developing.
9. Pistons - could easily end up 5-6th in the weak east. Griffin has been great for them, and I hope Rose stays healthy.

Potentially also:
10. Hawks - an outside shot for the playoffs, they have a bunch of exciting young players (Trae, Collins, Huerter), but they might need a year and some focus on defence more...

no playoff for 11-15:
Bulls, Wizards
Knicks

Cavs

Hornets

WEST
Absolutely brutal this year, even more than in previous years. IMO the favourites are both LA teams, but I don't believe they'll end up 1-2 in regular season. Clippers will probably rest their two main guys a lot, and Lakers still have some "gelling" to do... With that in mind, these are the prediction for the regular season:

1-Nuggets - mainly just a really deep team. No reason to think they won't keep improving.
2-Clippers - they might need some time because of injury concerns, but they have a great roster even without Kawhi and PG13. EVEN without Shai and Gallo they had last year. I also think they're the favourites to win the title.
3-Lakers - I think they might struggle at times this year, but will eventually get it together. With no injuries they're the main threat to Clippers.
Most likely in the playoffs, but I don't see them contending for the finals:
4-Warriors - I predict Curry having a great year. We'll see how well Russell will fit in, they might just trade him mid season tho...
5-Jazz - Ok they put together a great starting 5, but what then? I think losing Favors hurts. Should easily make the playoffs though. They'll be fun to watch.

Other playoff contenders
6-Rockets - Harden and Westbrook on the same team? This could be... interesting. Anyhow I think Harden proved himself to be capable of dragging whatever team he has to the playoffs by himself.
7-Kings - They improved faster than I thought was possible last year. Fox & Buddy are a great duo, Bagley will keep improving, and hopefully Bogdan can show performances he regularly has in FIBA. Still have an eye out for Giles, too.
8-Blazers - I keep underestimating these guys, so they might surprise me again this year. Not sure when Nurk will be healthy enough to play, but they will need him. Lillard and CJ should be good enough to keep them in the playoff hunt though.
---
9-Pelicans - I'm looking at this roster, and it's just really hard to leave them outside top 8. Zion looks as advertised, but even if he will not be quite there yet, these guys have - Jrue, Ingram, Lonzo, Favors, Redick (!), Melli, Hart... This is a really deep team. They'll probably be near playoffs this year, but contenders in the near future for sure.
10-Spurs - I don't know, can you bet against them? Basically same team as last year, but with Dejounte? Will see how well the veterans will play - Aldridge might have dragged this team to playoffs before, he'll need more help this year.
11-Mavs - I want this team to be better than this, and they have a chance to be. But it's hard to say. As benpaco mentioned, many things are a question mark. How well will Luka play in his second season? Will KP stay healthy? Will he be very rusty at the beginning (his preseason seems to indicate so)? Who is their #3? Brunson? THJ? They have a very good bench, but maybe lack another starter caliber player or two (beyond Luka & KP). If they don't reach playoffs this year, then surely in the next couple of years...
12-Suns - I think it will be an unsuccessful season if they don't at least compete for the playoffs (e.g. something like the Kings season last year). It's gonna be hard obviously, and I have a hard time seeing them higher than this, but this is a really solid team now. A proper PG in Rubio, Ayton should make a step forward, Booker is Booker ... And a whole bunch of solid role players.

Unlikely to compete for PO
13-Timberwolves - KAT should be losing patience at this point.
14-OKC - I think they still have a good enough team to be higher than this (Shai, Gallo...) but I feel they're basically entering proper rebuild mode anyway.
15-Grizzlies - and they're in the rebuild mode already, so... Curious about Ja Morant.

As for the finals, let's say I predict Clippers out of West, and then beating Sixers or Celtics in 5 or 6. For some reason I feel like Bucks might have another great regular season and then fall short in the playoffs.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/16/2019 21:19
  • Post subject:
It ain't Pitchfork early, but it's still a little early

Will come back with brilliant, sexy analysis sometime in the next week.

Edit: The celtics as a potential dark horse contender in the east????? If we're counting actual NBA players they have like a seven-man roster
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2019 01:36
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Agreed, hockey and basketball playoffs are too inclusive. Over half the league makes the playoffs, and every year mediocre and crappy teams get in, only to wiped out in the first round. What's the point? Oh right, money.

I could see your argument for basketball, but that's not the case for hockey. The NHL has fabulous parity. Look at last year's playoffs. Both #1 seeds (CGY & TBL) were knocked out in the first round. St. Louis won it all, as a lower seed. Upsets are common in hockey.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2019 02:09
  • Post subject:
My sad attempt at a predicition:

WEST

1. Jazz - have the depth that the Lakers & Clippers lack. It's more important in the regular season.
2. Nuggets - same as the Jazz. Depth helps in the regular season.
3. Lakers - Have the edge in the season, as LeBron & Davis seem healthier than Kawhai & George.
4. Clippers - Only because of load management.
5. Blazers - another solid solid team. The West is brutal.

6. Warriors - Don't overlook. They're not done.
7. Rockets - Will be fun to watch. Either as an elite team, or a train wreck. Either way, they're in the playoffs.

8. Pelicans - Without Davis, they make the playoffs. Go figure.

9. Kings - Buddy ball is so much fun. Toss-up over the Spurs & Mavs.
10. Spurs - Maybe Popovich gives them the edge for the #8 spot?
11. Mavs - Will Porzingis stay healthy?

12. T-Wolves - How long before KAT demands a trade?
13. Grizz - Young. Super fun to watch.
14. Thunder - I have no idea.
15. Suns - It must be tough to be fan. The Nash era seems a century ago.

EAST

1. 76ers - Adding Horford is huge.
2. Bucks - Still strong, but losing Brogdon hurts.
3. Celtics - Horford is a bigger loss than Irving. Better chemistry this year.
4. Raptors- too many people are quick to overlook them again.

5. Pacers - Once Oladipo returns, they are a top 4 team.
6. Magic - Solid. Just not good enough to contend.
7. Heat - Butler gets them in.
8. Nets - Wait until next year!

9. Knicks - Will actually be OK. My 'hot take'.
10. Hawks - Most fun team to watch in the NBA.
11. Pistons - Griffin is not enough.

12. Wiz - Hot garbage. Beal keeps them from being as bad as the dumpster fires below them.
13. Bulls - Not as bad as the Cavs or Hornets. Something to brag about?
14. Cavs - Poor Kevin Love.
15. Hornets - So bad. So very bad.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/22/2019 08:39
  • Post subject:
I think with Zion injury I can safely drop Pelicans a spot or two. They'll still be good, but I think even when Zion comes back, they'll take it easy with him
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2019 18:52
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
9. Knicks - Will actually be OK. My 'hot take'.

That's a bold statement considering that trainwreck of an organization.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/24/2019 05:12
  • Post subject:
East

1- Bucks- Should be their conference for the taking, with the game's newest premier superstar and a solid all-around cast around him. Brogdon's abscence will hurt, but it wasn't worth shelling out that much money when they already have two expensive guard contracts on the books and the most expensive deal in league history (probably) looming on the horizon. Their the favorites in a weakened east, but they really need one of their young recent draft picks to have a breakout season if they truly want to contend for a championship.

2- Philadelphia- The most fascinating (and biggest) starting lineup in the league, keen job nabbing Horford (maybe not overpaying that much for Tobias Harris) and a lot depends on Ben Simmons morphing into that generational talent beyond the merely excellent all-around player he's been so far for them to make a finals appeareance. Depth is a major issue, though, as they'll likely have to find some way to add a major role player during the year or else ride their starters far too much during the regular season.

3- Indiana- Kind of third seed by default, but the addition of Brogdon, Oladipo's eventual return and the game's most interesting frontcourt rotation will see them improve on last season, and maybe see a deeper playoff run this time around.

4- Boston- Def an upgrade, at least in intangibles, in adding Kemba to the mix with their promising young core, with Gordon Hayward being a major X-factor in how much success they'll see this season, but the bench is... what? Marcus Smart, Brad Wannaminute and a couple of one-dimensional centers. The frontcourt situation is... shivers. They'll be good, but will likely see heavy fatigue from their stars down the stretch.

5- Toronto- Enough talent in post-Kawhi-dom to be competitive, especially in the East, and will probably manage to avoid a really painful rebuild in the process. But the sun is setting up north, for sure.

6- Orlando- Exciting young team, but they didn't noticeably improve much over the offseason. They locked up Vucivec, but I don't know if they can count on more career years out of him from here on in. If Jonathan Simmons or Mo Bamba break out (or trade their younger center for more pieces), they could be a cage-rattler in the east, but I expect at best maybe a couple win or so improvement from the talanted but still work-in-progress Magic.

7- Detroit- Have in-his-prime Blake Griffin, added Derek Rose, but otherwise see a team similar to last year's, probably stumble into the playoffs and an early exit.

8- Miami- Jimmy and Miami got their match, but the roster as of now certainly isn't ready to contend. Probably thinking more a couple years down the line, but will still probably sneak into the playoffs in a degraded conference outlook.

9- Brooklyn- They got two top free agents, but in all honesty who the hell knows what that actually entails. Obviously Kyrie is out to prove he's not roster kryptonite, but until the arrival of Durant (in whatever diminished capacity) they're still also-rans in the east.

10- Chicago- They made some nice little improvements and their young players are blossoming into their prime, but it's still a slightly strange brew, especially in the backcourt, and not enough to get them to the 36 wins or so that will probably net an 8th seed in the east.

11- Atlanta- Young and a whole lot of fun, will score plenty of points and give up slightly more, should see an improved win total but definitely aren't there yet for a postseason push.

12- New York- I'll say it, not hedging their future on a post-achilles-tear Kevin Durant was actually a wise move from an organization that only makes foolish ones. They have a legitimitately enticing young core led by the talented but very, very raw RJ Barrett, surronded now by like 4 point guards and 10 power forwards. Roster cohesion is not quite there yet, but ya know what the Knicks may legitimately be on the upswing in the next few years... if they don't Knick-ify themselves too much in the process.

13- Washington- To move Beal or build around? Wall is gone for the year and probably not going to be the same player when he comes back, the roster is a dumpster fire beyond that. I like the Hachimura pick, but they really need to find a coherent path forward or it's just more prolonged misery for Wizards fans.

14- Cleveland- Will they survive in Cleveland in the post-Lebron era? Probably should start shopping K-love if he stays healthy to accelerate another long rebuild, but they probably need to win soon to avoid becoming the Colombus or Kansas City Cavaliers.

15- Charlotte- Terrible contracts and underwhelming draft choices sees Kemba's swift exit and now their franchise player is... Terry Rozier. Probably the worst team in the NBA this year, but at least they may finally nab a top-tier player in next years, and the year after that and so on, draft.

West

1- LA Clippers- Yep, the favorites, and they need to be after mortgaging their future landing the Kawhi-PG dream team. The roster is def stacked beyond those super forwards, with only rim protection a slight worry, but unless somehow Kawhi and Paul don't find a way to mesh on the court with their similar positions the Clippers are legit early favorites for the trophy, even if it's high time to finally leave LA Live already.

2- Utah- The sentimental favorites to be a contender, and easy to see why. Adding Mike Conley was the needed move to push them towards contention, and give the chance for Donovan Mitchell to break out into a true superstar now that he doesn't need to worry about facilitating as well as scoring every possession. And let's see Lebron and Giannis try to attack the basket against Rudy Gobert. Might need to add one key forward during the season, but as of now a legitimate dark horse favorite to win it all.

3- Denver- As tantalizing as the Jokic-Murray-Harris-Millsap core is, and the potential lightning rod that a healthy Michael Porter jr can provide, they just aren't quite contenders yet- should hope for another deep playoff run to gain more experience instead.

4- LA Lakers- The lakers will finally be good again, but I don't see them as the Roi de la montagnes quite yet. The roster is skewed so heavily towards guards and big-men that guarding the bigger, quicker wings is going to be a problem, especially since Lebron is, let's face it, an offense-only player at this point. Anthony Davis could be overwhelmed being asked to guard the entire floor at all times. Again, good enough for a fourth seed, but not champions just yet.

5- Portland- Don't know if they did enough to improve their roster after last year's inspiring run, but if they can find a way to motivate Whiteside that'll be a plus. Still good, still vulnerable, probably won't go as far as last year in a drastically improved western conference.

6- Houston- Who knows how it all turns out, if James Harden can commit to being an off-the-ball, pull-up scorer his tandem with Westbrook could be deadly. But this roster is nowhere near as stacked as a couple years ago, as now they are relying on a couple of recent draft busts to put them over the top. Probably a frustrating, up-down year in store, but the backcourt situation could be extremely electric to watch. Or a total trainwreck, who knows.

7- San Antonio- Pop will keep them in the playoffs, but it's high time they trade their veterans to start building around an impressive youth movement (yes, SA Youth Movement is not an oxy moron), with LaMarcus (hello, Trailblazers?) and Derozan (LA, of course) likely at their highest value. It seems like the sentimentality of Pop's final years may be hampering their long-term prospects.

8- Golden State- Bay Area pride will probably push them to do all they can to stay in contention, when in reality they should take a step back season to let Klay fully heal, manage Dray and Stephen's minutes and improve their lottery chances. Should listen attentively to all offers for D'angelo Russel.

9- Sacramento- Young and exciting, even with the Buddy Hield broo-ha, but are they good enough to finally end their streak of futility this year? May depend on how their young almost-stars break out, or how other bubble teams in a stacked Western Conference perform as well.

10- New Orleans- Obviously the most talked-about team in the league, but man Zion really shouldn't have landed in New Orleans. Nothing against NO, great town, but basketball will always be a second-fiddle to the religion that is the Saints, in the league's smallest market to boot. They'll be good for awhile, but I still see him leaving after seven years.

11- Dallas- Luka is the real deal, the only worry being about him peaking too early, Delon Wright was a nice low-key acquisition and if Kristaps can stay out of trouble and stay healthy... they could compete for a lower playoff seed, with geniune contention probably at least a couple years away.

12- Minnesotta- Trade for D'angelo or start hearing demands from KAT

13- Oklahoma City- Well, at least they know they'll have a steady stream of prospects for the next half-decade now. Can they somehow replicate the late 00s draft magic? Anyhoo, they wont be terrible this year but will probably try to dish out as many veterans as possible, though I don't see much return for the albatross that is Paul's contract.

14- Phoenix- Ricky Rubio finally gives them a point guard, and Devin Booker is teetering on the verge of superstardom, but their bizzare draft moves this offseason and the pile-up of draft busts meaning they are still a long way from breaking out of their rut, their best bet not being the bottom of the pile this year or at least have fun doing it.

15- Memphis- Will be a lot of fun to watch with all their raw youth and athleticism, but don't expect many wins.

And for the finals? I'm feeling soft, Jazz over Bucks in 6.

And let's get rid of all these defensive-contact rules, bring defense back into the game already! And move the Clippers to Seattle, or at least San Diego or somewhere outside the staples center.

11- [/b]
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/25/2019 20:29
  • Post subject:
Predictions by seed/record

(barring significant injuries or major trades of one or more of a team's 2-3 best players)

WEST

1. LA Clippers
2. Utah Jazz
3. LA Lakers
4. Denver Nuggets
5. Houston Rockets
6. Portland Trail Blazers
7. San Antonio Spurs
8. Golden State Warriors

9. Dallas Mavericks
10. Sacramento Kings
11. New Orleans Pelicans
12. Minnesota Timberwolves
13. Pheonix Suns
14. Oklahoma City Thunder
15. Memphis Grizzlies

EAST

1. Philadelphia 76ers
2. Milwaukie Bucks
3. Indiana Pacers
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Boston Celtics
6. Miami Heat
7. Brooklyn Nets
8. Detroit Pistons

9. Orlando Magic
10. Atlanta Hawks
11. Chicago Bulls
12. New York Knicks
13. Washington Wizards
14. Cleveland Caveliers
15. Charlotte Hornets

PLAYOFFS (barring major injuries/trades so subject to change at the end of the regular season and with at least some probable changes in seeding)

WEST

1. LA Clippers (Winner: 4-2)
8. Golden State Warriors

4. Denver Nuggets
5. Houston Rockets (Winner: 4-3)

2. Utah Jazz (Winner: 4-2)
7. San Antonio Spurs

3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-1)

2ND ROUND

5. Houston Rockets

2. Utah Jazz
3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-2)

3RD ROUND

1. LA Clippers
3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-3)

EAST

1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-1)
8. Detroit Pistons

4. Toronto Raptors (Winner: 4-3)
5. Boston Celtics

2. Milwaukie Bucks (Winner: 4-1)
7. Brooklyn Nets

3. Indiana Pacers (Winner: 4-3)
6. Miami Heat

2ND ROUND
1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-2)
4. Toronto Raptors

3. Indiana Pacers

3RD ROUND
1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-3)
2. Milwaukie Bucks

NBA FINALS
LA Lakers over Philadelphia 76ers (4-3)
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 10/27/2019 17:29
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
That's a bold statement considering that trainwreck of an organization.

They will do well despite their awful management.

Smith/Ntilikina/Payton give PG depth, Barrett is a stud, Knox is growing, Randle & Gibson are solid vets, and Robinson is a block party. There's no superstars, and loads of holes, but they'll be OK. Not a playoff team, but 30-40 wins, and way better than Charlotte, Cleveland, and even Chicago.
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/01/2019 21:00
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Predictions by seed/record

(barring significant injuries or major trades of one or more of a team's 2-3 best players)

WEST

1. LA Clippers
2. Utah Jazz
3. LA Lakers
4. Denver Nuggets
5. Houston Rockets
7. San Antonio Spurs
8. Golden State Warriors

9. Dallas Mavericks
10. Sacramento Kings
11. New Orleans Pelicans
12. Minnesota Timberwolves
13. Pheonix Suns
14. Oklahoma City Thunder
15. Memphis Grizzlies

EAST

1. Philadelphia 76ers
2. Milwaukie Bucks
3. Indiana Pacers
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Boston Celtics
6. Miami Heat
7. Brooklyn Nets
8. Detroit Pistons

9. Orlando Magic
10. Atlanta Hawks
11. Chicago Bulls
12. New York Knicks
13. Washington Wizards
14. Cleveland Caveliers
15. Charlotte Hornets

PLAYOFFS (barring major injuries/trades so subject to change at the end of the regular season and with at least some probable changes in seeding)

WEST

8. Golden State Warriors

4. Denver Nuggets
5. Houston Rockets (Winner: 4-3)

2. Utah Jazz (Winner: 4-2)
7. San Antonio Spurs

3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-1)

2ND ROUND

5. Houston Rockets

2. Utah Jazz
3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-2)

3RD ROUND

1. LA Clippers
3. LA Lakers (Winner: 4-3)

EAST

1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-1)
8. Detroit Pistons

4. Toronto Raptors (Winner: 4-3)
5. Boston Celtics

7. Brooklyn Nets

3. Indiana Pacers (Winner: 4-3)
6. Miami Heat

2ND ROUND
1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-2)
4. Toronto Raptors

3. Indiana Pacers

3RD ROUND
1. Philadelphia 76ers (Winner: 4-3)
2. Milwaukie Bucks

NBA FINALS
LA Lakers over Philadelphia 76ers (4-3)

Well, there goes Golden State. With Curry out for 3 months my selection would probably change to Dallas coming in 8th and GS likely down to bottom 3. Very unlikely they still make the playoffs now, especially since they cant make any big moves until mid December, should they want to swap Russel for a more defense oriented star/3 and D type player(s) ... which they should if they can find takers.

I also totally forgot that Oladipo was missing extended time to begin the year and would place Indiana 5th instead of 3rd if I were to redo -- which would also change things playoff-wise... But oh well ... maybe 3rd will end up being correct anyway?

Regardless, if there is any sort of tally done by someone at year end, you are welcome to use my original picks (if you prefer) for comparison, and not my inevitable revised selection(s) that I make upon major injuries/major trades.
  • Visit poster's website