Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 08/27/2019 12:21
  • Post subject:
NoisyBeast wrote:
Yes! Wikipedia is another good resource, and I agree Allmusic is a bit annoying with all the pop-up ads (if/when I check their listings... I'm usually closing the browser window pretty quick). 100% agree on getting a look at the original pressings! Thanks Paolo! Very Happy

The problem with Allmusic is also the original year of release, they often add a "reissue" year of release. It's an unreliable source of info for data moderators imo.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 13:15
  • Post subject:
pa wrote:
The problem with Allmusic is also the original year of release, they often add a "reissue" year of release. It's an unreliable source of info for data moderators imo.

I've noticed that too, with the re-issue dates. My first introduction to Allmusic was in the mid-90's with their "All Music Guide to Rock" in book format (chock full of pretty decent album reviews) and also their volume on classic Jazz albums. The early AMG online site was fairly straightforward for seeking reviews, but it's become more cluttered and ad driven over the years.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2019 04:02
  • Post subject:
Fun Facts: After 20 weeks, I've completed the last updates (for now) to my 1993 charts.

444 albums were played & ranked in the past five months, with everything beyond the top 400 scoring below 60/100 (and not really "chart-worthy" anyhow). I hadn't examined the listening pattern from this angle before, but it averages out to ~22 albums per week (which seems about right) and around 3 or 4 albums each day. But typically on weekends I'll listen to a variety of stuff, without focusing much on scoring albums.

Since I'm fortunate to have a job that allows for listening to music, it's during the workdays that I'm paying close attention to anywhere from 3 to 6 full albums. It could be more... but some days I'll just get absorbed in various podcasts, and leave music aside altogether.

Top 100 Albums of 1993 | #101 - 200 | #201 - 300 | #301 - 400

Last edited by NoisyBeast on 08/30/2019 01:26; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2019 04:42
  • Post subject:
Side note: Once I've got everything ranked for a given year, and feel ready to begin working on the next... I'll quickly update a few of my custom "genre" charts. Using the spreadsheet "Notes" column, I'm currently keeping track of albums that fall distinctly within Jazz, Blues, and Hip Hop categories; which can then be easily sorted together, to copy and paste into a separate tab which is designated for each genre.

After I delve a bit further into the 90's, I might also do custom charts for favorite Metal and Electronic music of the decade. Would be great if each album listing on BEA could include one or more genre tags. Think
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2019 04:49
  • Post subject:
Seek & Destroy: During the past two weeks I've taken notes on the top albums of 1994 on RYM, and combed through the catalogs of favorite record labels; AmRep, Alternative Tentacles, Crypt, Dischord, Estrus, Earache, Homestead, Peaceville, SFTRI, SST, ShimmyDisc, Wax Trax, Warp, etc. on Discogs.
I located ~70 albums that were already housed within the BEA database, but NOT included in the '94 CSV file.
Additionally, I found another 85 albums that I plan to hear... but still need to be added to BEA.
Altogether it brought the total # of titles in my listening queue up to 426... Dammit!!! Brick wall

I'm determined to limit my rankings of 1994 to a total of 300.
So... I spent several hours today, pouring over album reviews and playing snippets of albums; weeding out the ones I could bear to part with. A necessary evil, I suppose. My current wish list of 1994 now stands at 366 albums, but I'll certainly find more during the weeks ahead, and also delete some others along the way. Bottom line is; I'll gladly listen to around 350 albums to ensure my rankings of the top 300 include my absolute faves!! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2019 12:27
  • Post subject:
Quote:
favorite record labels; AmRep, Alternative Tentacles, Crypt, Dischord, Estrus, Earache, Homestead, Peaceville, SFTRI, SST, ShimmyDisc, Wax Trax, Warp, etc. on Discogs.

This is something I've been doing for about the past year. Good way to find some long lost classics. Last week I was going over the old "Nonesuch" album catalog to find some of their weird electronic stuff from the 70s.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2019 19:48
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
favorite record labels; AmRep, Alternative Tentacles, Crypt, Dischord, Estrus, Earache, Homestead, Peaceville, SFTRI, SST, ShimmyDisc, Wax Trax, Warp, etc. on Discogs.

This is something I've been doing for about the past year. Good way to find some long lost classics. Last week I was going over the old "Nonesuch" album catalog to find some of their weird electronic stuff from the 70s.

YEAH!! Very Happy It's a big part of the fun, expanding BEA's database with new (or old) artists and titles... as opposed to merely ranking the same rehashed items that have already been charted in the overall Top 100 for any given year.
Keep up the good work! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 09:14
  • Post subject:
Retrospective: During the summer of 2013, my friend Mike & I were playing a “Now listening to” game on Facebook. Very similar to BEA’s ongoing “What album are you listening to right now?” forum. We exchanged posts of random albums (with cover art & info ); multiple times daily & it was a BLAST!! Mr. Green
I’ll admit Mike knew WAY more about obscure 1960’s & 70’s Psychedelia & Prog, while I favored underground 80’s and 90’s Indie Rock. Mike’s broad knowledge of classic old-school tuneage inspired me to do further music research online… and that’s when I somehow stumbled upon BEA!

In September 2013 (without registering for an account), I started using BEA’s Year Charts as a listening guide to hear albums of the 1950’s and 60’s in chronological order.
Of course, I couldn’t have done it without Spotify and album uploads on YouTube!! My personal music collection contained almost NONE of those early albums!!! But thankfully, the “RULES” have changed!. We no longer need to stress about owning a physical copy in order to **hear and review** an album. Wink

Around the end of 2014 I realized the intended purpose of BEA was to Rate & Rank albums, so I finally registered for an account… and then felt that I had no choice but to go back and hear those albums of the 1950’s and 60’s over again, so I could rank them properly.

Five years later, I’m still doing the “chronological thing”...
...currently listening to the albums of 1994, and rankin’ em accordingly.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:31
  • Post subject:
Another CSV data hound. Love it. It's actually a feature of this site I find incredibly helpful/pivotal to music analysis/reviews/ratings, etc. I'm also glad to see you write - I saw you post a lot of what you were listening to, which was always intriguing... it's fun to see experienced music peeps as yourself give your take on things (looking forward to your take on Grace, for example, if you so wish).
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 04:37
  • Post subject:
"Let's have some music now, huh?" - The Clash

RoundTheBend wrote:
Another CSV data hound. Love it. It's actually a feature of this site I find incredibly helpful/pivotal to music analysis/reviews/ratings, etc. I'm also glad to see you write - I saw you post a lot of what you were listening to, which was always intriguing... it's fun to see experienced music peeps as yourself give your take on things (looking forward to your take on Grace, for example, if you so wish).

Hey!! Great suggestion… I listened to Jeff Buckley’s “Grace” last week, and mentioned it’s #1 status(!??) in a previous post…
Is it worthy of #1 album for 1994 on BEA”? If so…why?

Not wanting to turn this forum into an album review section, but merely hoping to provide a sense of how I rank albums.

Grace by Jeff Buckley

I hadn’t even heard of Jeff Buckley until a few years ago when a segment of “Hallelujah” was played on Democracy Now.
I could be mistaken, but it seems the increased popularity of his “Hallelujah” track was in conjunction with a September 11th / World Trade Center memorial (?) A bunch of other artists have covered Leonard Cohen's song… but Jeff Buckley's version seems to earn the most praise.
It's unfortunate his life ended at an early age... since we'll never know what more he could have done. Crying or Very sad

So when I began listening to “Grace”, it quickly reminded me of the best Nina Simone album I’ve ever heard = 72.47

Also, it reminded me of my favorite Mazzy Star album = 71.4663 (but not quite as good, so I deducted two points) = 69.4663

Buckley’s intensely dramatic vocals reminded me of Freddie Mercury (but only my least favorite Queen album), “Inuendo” = 62.7959.

To my ears, Buckley’s Rock vocals compare with Robert Plant... and my top favorite R. Plant’s solo album = 46.4593

Another artist I was reminded of by Buckley’s vocals was Supertramp.
My top rated Supertramp album = 66.35

Buckley’s higher pitched vocals remind me of Kate Bush. My top rated album of Kate Bush is 77.535

On the 3rd track. I was reminded of George Michael. My highest ranked George Michael album is 75.9224.

I can’t help comparing this relativley unknown (in 1994) artist’s album to the Dave Matthew’s Band debut of the previous year = 42.1857

Track 7 reminded me of a slightly better version of the first Radiohead album = 63.9693

Buckley’s vocals are one notch better than Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon = 73.3386

Buckley’s falsetto warbling in on par with my top rated album by Roy Orbison = 63.92

Over-the-top vocals; on par with the ridiculous comedic styling of my top rated album by Tiny Tim = 60.35

Some hard Rock vocal styling reminds me a bit of Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, so I compare Buckley’s rock edge to “Badmotorfinger” = 80.1527

Melodically, Buckley’s vocals reach the heights of my 2nd favorite XTC album = 87.403

Track 11 reminded me of Tori Amos = 72.8316

Overall, I deducted 2 points for Buckley’s falsetto vocal styling, and I deducted another two points for the last track; which seemed rather lackluster.
In total I lowered the album rating by 4 points from 67.6767 = 63.6767

72.47 + 69.4663 + 62.7959 + 46.4593 + 66.35 + 77.535 + 75.9224 + 42.1857 + 63.9693 + 73.3386 + 63.92 + 60.35 + 80.1527 + 87.403 + 72.8316
divided by 15= 67.6766533

minus four (-4 = 63.6767

So yeah... my average album score is 75/100, and I guess "Grace" just left me puzzled about it's popularity. But that's OK Wink
Somebody's album needs to be ranked at #1... might as well be Jeff Buckley's.

Last edited by NoisyBeast on 09/11/2019 01:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website